Advice of the night....

klmno

My strongest statement to difficult child anymore:

When you refuse to listen to anyone else, you have no one but yourself to blame. (That is a capital P.E.R.I.O.D.)

Yep, he has issues, he's cycling, he has all kinds of carp to deal with as a result of previous "episodes". But, if he won't take advice and TRY to skip hot chocolate with caffeine at night, quit showing kids the marks on your arms, quit "bragging" about stuff you've done that no one else has done, stuff like that, then, you know, ....

arghhhh.... a teen has to prove he can do things his way, ok, then quit blaming everyone else when you find yourself deeper in the hole.

klmno

OOps.... I thought I was on General... any Moderator around that would like to move this?? Sorry...

Andy

Exactly!

Can't stand when advise is rejected and then difficult child (or mostly non-easy child diva) blames me. I always say, "If you follow my advise and it doesn't work than you might have a reason to be mad at me but don't get angry at me because you didn't do what I said you should." But I like how you put it even better. I am going to remember that one.

Isn't it amazing that it is our fault even though we told them not to?

Hang in there.

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
dang, i'm still working on "if it's not yours, don't touch"

I am SO unprepared for teen years...........:anxious:

Ropefree

Banned
klmno: You son is so much more challenging, I think, than mine. But the refrain of idea that I mother am "suppose" to impress that the hazzard is there and that when I do that would be loud enough or often enough so that when he goes on and does it
anyway HE FEELS its his fault. That I do know.
The best thing I do do for myself is this. I make sure I feel like the sound of my voice and the way I am talking about "it" whatever "it" is with my son feels good to me. It was during the take your finger out your nose and get off the roof stage that dawned on me.
Redirecting is something I have had to do ALOT. Going back to the preschool years pro active over negative because No is not what is remembered or heard. WAlk, (not don't run)...sit down to eat (not don't stand to eat)

If he is cycling are you sure his current treatment is effective? What does his treating psyc say?

M

ML

It's typical for difficult children. Never take responsibility when there is someone else around to blame. I hear ya, K, you're preaching to the choir here :

Last edited: