Advice on transitioning from Residential Treatment Center (RTC) to home?

ZZZ

I am new and not familiar with your lingo yet....but....Our 18y.o has returned home after a stay in the woods, then 8 mos in a Residential Treatment Ctr. Has been home three weeks. Little help/guidelines as to how to proceed with gaining trust/ progression of freedom etc. Has anybody out there been through this process?

Nancy

Hi ZZZ and welcome. My difficult child was in a residential treatment center but just for 2 months. Is your son in some sort of outpatient program nw? What he in treatment for drugs? Is he in a twelve step program? We were told that it would take a while to re-establish trust and that we should trust our instincts. We were also told it was up to her to prove she was sober, not up to us to prove she wasn't.

Nancy

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Hi ZZZ!

My Onyxx was in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC) for about 5 months. They did progressively longer visits home, but the final was rather abrupt. She still sees her Drug & Alcohol counselor and is still on probation, but mostly we've had to go with our gut feelings...

Please tell us more - we can't diagnose, but we can give you our experiences!