Advice - should we call the cops and report an assault at school?

svengandhi

I saw a news article on this choking game a few months ago and watched it with my two youngest, grades 6 and 9. Both thought it was an entirely ridiculous thing to do. The older one (easy child) said he would deck anyone who tried that with him and he's big enough to do it. Babyboy just didn't get it and said how dumb are those people - don't they know their brain cells will die from lackk of oxygen?

For me, the main issue here is not so much the interaction between your son and R that is troubling, but the overwhelming fact that this game is going on openly at the school and the adults are not intervening. Given that difficult child and R are both sped students, it seems that the interaction between them was handled in a fairly appropriate way but the choking game issue was not.

At our HS last year, the kids were playing some type of game that involved punching. My difficult child said he always refused to play. Finally, they held an assembly where the school nurses, the health teachers and the police explained the various dangers and consequences of the game and playing it. A letter was sent home (which was when I finally learned about it) telling parents what would happen to their kids if they were caught playing this game. I don't think it's an issue anymore.

I think you should contact the school board/superintendent and suggest that the district overall come up with a plan to address this game. What happens if a kid with asthma or an undetected heart issue is choked - they could die?

As for the bullying, when my oldest boy was in 6th grade he was grabbed from behind while on a line for the water fountain after an afterschool club. The boy had him in a chokehold, threw him on the ground and told another boy to kick him in the head. That boy said oh, no he's my friend, I can't kick him in the head - so the kid kicked him in the thigh instead! Adults intervened. I was called and told that my son was being suspended for one week for fighting (whille on the ground, he kicked the kid in the groin). When I heard the full story from the boy who summoned help (my good friend's son), I was livid. I took my son to the police and demanded that they file a report. I took photos and so did they. I filed an information only report. The next day, I went to see the principal. His first words were "Did you really have to go to the police?" Uh, yeah I did because I was told the attacker was a sweet boy only to learn that this was not the first time he had grabbed someone from behind. Then, the principal told me that my son could only go to the club every other week and he would have to alternate with the attacker! The TEACHER who ran the club said he would quit if my son was banned or if the other kid was allowed to come back. My son wound up with an ISS for one day and the attacker was never heard from again. Actually, he was supposedly sent to a day program for mentally ill children.