Affordable easy mac

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I keep quick and easy things for lunch in my desk as a backup for when I can't away for lunch. I stopped at Aldi's today to refill my stash.

They had a box of "Express Mac" for $1.69. It is 6 packets of the equivilent of Kraft Easy Mac.

I had one just a few minutes ago, and I'd venture a guess that its at least as good as (in my opinion better than) the Kraft version, for less than half the price.

Just FYI.

I love Aldi's.

susiestar

Roll With It
Aldi's rocks. They have the BEST nacho flavor chips (like doritos) that we have found, and for a fraction of the price. The also have some VERY good chocolates (in Europe they are considered a very good brand and even sell wine) as you walk into the store. I got one that is 70% cocoa which is too bitter to eat straight but made an incredible chocolate mousse. I also have one with chili peppers in it which husband says is incredible. The container has 5 small bars so it is easy to dole out. Then they had some big bars of milk and dark chocolate that we tried - they were very good quality.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
THeir off brand oreo type cookies are brand equivilient, too. We had frozen lasagna from there tonight. Very good, served us all, cost 2.79.

Marguerite

I find it hard to shop at Aldi's with a list, the products change too much.

That 70% cocoa is really good for a lot of things. I like to eat it when I'm dieting, because one small square gives me a huge chocolate hit that lasts for an hour or more. And ALL my diets include chocolate, including the one where I lost 25 Kg.

I have a great recipe I lifted off an episode of Oprah (went online later to get the recipe). It uses choc bits but I break up a block of 70% cocoa and use that. I use a wand-style blender, it's brilliant.

Rachael Ray's Mother's Chocolate Cups
Put in blender:
Two cups semi-sweet choc chips or chopped chocolate
Three eggs
4 T sugar
2 T preferred liqueur - ie rum, Tia Maria, hazelnut

Blend. While blending, add
One and a half cups of VERY hot milk, poured in thin stream while blending. [I microwave the milk and pour it in while you can see it still boiling]
The almost boiling milk should melt the chocolate chips and cook the egg smoothly.

Pour into tea cups and chill in the fridge, 30 minutes or even overnight [I do overnight - half an hour or even several hours is not long enough]. Serve topped with whipped cream, try and make it look like cappuccino. Be sparing - this is VERY rich. If possible, serve in demi-tasse cups.

I'm planning a variation on this, topping it with a layer of castor sugar or brown sugar then using a kitchen blowtorch on it to make a chocolate creme brulee.
I went out searching for demi-tasse cups for this. Far too small for a decent cup of coffee, you can often pick up these coffee sets cheap at garage sales and op-shops. I keep them just for this recipe.

Marg