after a grueling 4 mos.........

Jena

and all new doctor's and yes a pretty good speech pathologist who has worked with-her for 4 sessions and zyprexa yup the magic medication she ate a GRILL CHEESE TODAY after refeeding therapy.

she is also up another 2 1/2 pounds, almost at our target weight of 110. we are at 106 as of today. we ran all day to doctor's started at 11, and went till 7 with refeeding therapy last.

so, we are weaning off shakes which wont' be that hard she was only averaging one protein shake a day, and going with-just whole milk and the protein i put in it and the one solid a day grill cheese for lunch, till hopefully we add on a second.

still long road ahead yet ice is broken now.

ahh not breathing totally easy yet but i'm praying it keeps up and she's on the road to recovery.

H

HaoZi

I haven't seen 106 in 20 years and that's close to my ideal weight (stupid junk food addiction :p). Keep up the good work kiddo! Glad things are moving along, this seems a nice breakthrough.

Jena

106 is thin for her height which is 5'4", yet she started at like 95. so i'm good with this. was shocked she gained so much. it's a breakthrough. just figured i'd share it. that's all.

BusynMember

Jena, just to make you feel better, my niece is in eighteen, five foot four and a runner. She doesn't eat all that much and is conscious of eating healthy, but she eats and she is probably 90 lbs. soaking wet. Your daughter is at an ok weight and 110 will be perfect. I'm sending you good vibes and prayers and everything positive I can think of and have a good feeling about this :) Good for her and GOOD FOR YOU. You were really there for her and you knew what she needed!

H

HaoZi

She's taller than me, most people are. Hard for me to make eye contact when I spend most of my time staring up people's noses. Meant mine more as a comment that I eat too much bad food, I'm really glad she's having so much success with the Zyprexa already, it's wonderful!

Jena

i gotta say the speech pathologist today drove it home. i decided to really push her and brought crackers and solids like that as opposed to the "icing" she suggested last week. being as how difficult child has been downing nutella past two days, peanut butter and one piece of cheesecake i kinda felt like it was time for a cracker and some cheerios. so the speech pathologist said are u sure? i said yup you can get her to do it i certainly cannot. totally diff relationship. it was hard for difficult child, and she struggled a bit. yet once it went down you could see the shock on her face like ok it wasn't that bad.

plus she seperated the supposed "pain" in difficult child's mind and the "i dont' want to" thing. really started connecting dots with difficult child on that one. nutritionally she isn't where she needs to be just yet. she's also on seroquel so it's both the medications working together i think also.

still got alot more work ahead yet i feel like the ice is broken now at least which is good. and i dont' have to fight her on thick shakes anymore. i can just mix up the protein with regular milk.

H

HaoZi

Like that first glimpse of light at the end of the tunnel, isn't it? :D I presume the boys are improving, too?
I keep grinning for you, and I know my humor comes off the wrong way sometimes.

Marguerite

That's a good breakthrough. How does she feel about her progress? Do you think the puppy is what has done the trick? Maybe puppy getting sick too, has given her another creature to worry about as well as another creature to feel a strong connection to. After all, if Toby can get better after being so sick, then so can she...

Whatever the reason - you can perhaps begin to breathe a little.

Marg

Jena

midwest mom and tiredmommy thanks also.

haozi yup i get your sense of humor, and yes boys are improving too. they both are still choking though they might need more medications. they go back to vet on saturday. i'm up again making her another grilled cheese lol. she tried rice krispie cereal with-my help got some down. grilled cheese does take a while, shes' very thoughtful how she chews it, flips it in mouth, holds, adds water to it. therapist taught her a bunch of stuff.

last night she drove me nuts was starving until 3 a.m. husband and i were up with her protein shakes peanut butter you name it. so i think im starting her on zyprexa in a.m. 2.5mg. i called doctor to ask yet he never got back to me. i think that's the push she needs during day. during day she does zero, at night as soon as medications both hit she's starving. i think seroquel should come down to 25mg. at night and add in zyprexa in a.m. than it'll stimulate her in a.m. food wise. gotta call him in morning to tell him.

last night was literally insane, than up early today at doctors' all day long. i get a reprieve though sunday i am giong with husband to go riding and to lunch. i can't wait. soo excited. i look in mirror and i'm in shock at what i see. past few mos has beat me up. yet i'm thrilled she's getting somewhere.

marg yes she's thrilled. zyprexa, zyprexa, and that speech pathologist puppy mix of it all i think. husband has been spending more time with-her also, and well to be honest less ex h for now.

Last edited:

smallworld

Jen, I'm so happy for you.

I told you -- Zyprexa is a miracle medication. It worked its magic on M. I'm glad it's doing the same for C.

susiestar

Roll With It
AWESOME!! I am so happy for her!! I know it was a challenge and it is such a big step!!! You have been so awesome with her during this. I really pray this is the light at the end of the tunnel.

It is kind of amazing what someone else can get our kids to do. My mom still cannot figure out how one of my friends' moms was able to get me to eat zucchini (I abhor it and always have but her dad was so stern I was kind of scared of him, lol!).

Zyprexa really can do amazing things. Hugs to all of you!!!

DammitJanet

Glad she is eating something but I would still try to get her to at least drink pediasure or some form of enriched milk until she is eating full meals. She is certainly not getting all her dietary needs met just on grilled cheese.

B

Bunny

Yes!! I am so glad to hear that she ate something! Also, my difficult child is about the same age as your difficult child. That child eats me out of house and home. He likes to eat junk food (don't they all)O and yet would be very happy to have a salad for lunch. He's almost at tall as me (I'm 5' 4") and he's all of 70 pounds. He's just a light weight. I was like that, too, at his age. I wouldn't get caught up in the weight. Just getting her to eat is a great first step. I hope she comtinues down this road.

Pam

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
What wonderful news, Jen!! Yeah for you! Yeah for you and H! Yeah for difficult child, the speech pathologist - everything!!! I'm so happy things are moving in the right direction~