After the 3rd evaluation meeting

jannie

trying to survive....
difficult child 1 finally got an IEP !!! :bravo:He was coded other health impaired due to adhd and Tourette's Syndrome......personally I would have preferred an Learning Disability (LD) code because that is what I truly believe is causing him to have difficulty with reading and writing....however all you need is a code...The IEP will be complete and finalized duirng the start of the school year. The special education resources teacher(s) are really good, but I just hope they can put him in the "right" group....and they can give him what he needs.....his past teachers have been really good....

So at the end of the meeting the team says...are you happy now? I say sure....I'm just "thrilled" that my child is having so much difficulty in school that he is now eligible for special education -- it's a double edged sword...you fight for support, but you wish so much that your child would do fine...and now require additional supports and services...

LittleDudesMom

Good job Jannie.

Question - was the "are you happy now" said in a sarcastic way? Almost kinda sounds like they were happy to have this done since you've been bugging them so much?? I am constantly amazed when I hear that schools are so loath to give children the services they need and the services they are legally entitled to.

I wouldn't worry about his classification. If it opens the doors for services and support, it really doesn't matter.

Congratulations Warrior Mom!!

Sharon

Christy

Pat yourself on the back for being persistant. Way to go! Sounds like you've taken the first step towards building a successful school year.

Good Luck!
Christy

jannie

trying to survive....
Sharon--
The question was said in a serious way because they knew that this is what I wanted, however, there's always that underlying sarcasm....the first evaluation was when difficult child was only four years old....they don't fully "get" all of the unique needs of my son....neither do I...or any of the doctors...otherwise we'd fix him and off he'd go...lol

Christy--I tried to pm you--I think we live pretty near each other...