After trying to calm myself down.........

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am so sorry, at least you can laugh... "with" yourself. Not at yourself!
This would be why husband will not let me color or cut my own hair!!! I still do, he catches me, yells at me! LOL
I get carried away... a little too short at times, oops, a little too red!!! I have learned to laugh with myself also.
Will you go back? With the coupons?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
And this is why I always cut my kid's hair.:faint:

And why I so rarely go to get my hair done myself. I swear if I find someone who does listen and can actually do what I want done I can never find them again when I go back.

Andy

Cut easy child's bangs once when she was very young. She said, "I look like a dork." My answer, "But you are my beautiful dork."

She now gets after me if I cut my own bangs - never gets straight! easy child on the other hand will be a great hairdresser - when she was four years old, I found red yarn around the room. She had cut Raggedy Anne's hair and did such a good job at it that I had looked at the doll and didn't know the hair was cut.

difficult child is another story. When I dressed up to go out to eat on 15th anniversary, difficult child asked why I had dressed up since "no one looks at you except daddy." Then husband didn't even notice I had cut my hair - so I guess no one looks at me, not even daddy.

mom_to_3

Well good for you, you're a better man than I was. A couple of years ago two days before my middle daughter graduated high school, I decided to color my hair. I thought I was going to wash a little of that gray right out of my hair. Well, I did, but I washed a lot of gray out and turned my light brown hair black. I. did. not. laugh. I was horrified! Black is so not my color!

Abbey

Spork Queen
Well good for you, you're a better man than I was. A couple of years ago two days before my middle daughter graduated high school, I decided to color my hair. I thought I was going to wash a little of that gray right out of my hair. Well, I did, but I washed a lot of gray out and turned my light brown hair black. I. did. not. laugh. I was horrified! Black is so not my color!

Hey...try going in as a nearly 50 year old woman who is naturally very brunette (ok, ok...I color the grey) and ask for a few highlights and come out completely BLONDE. I nearly fell out of my chair. Fortunately it is a teaching school so he had to redo it. Been with him for 2 years now.

Abbey

KTMom91

After a long search, I was able to find my friend Martin, who is, as Miss KT puts it, "a hair god." I lost him after he sold his salon and started working for someone else. But now, my hair looks great and I am happy. All those years of self-color and $12 haircuts...

mom_to_3

I wish I "had" someone. Abbey, I went to a hairdresser to get "highlights" to hide the grey myself. I am not a flashy person, would never give anyone that impression. Well, *MY* highlights turned out to have bleached out all of my hair! Oh my goodness! I almost fell over! Bleached out hair really ages a person. She did tone it down some. I've never had that done again.

witzend

I get totally psycho if my bangs are cut too short! I look like a boy! You know, if there is someone you really don't like, you could give them the gift certificates...

LOL!

trinityroyal

This is my pet peeve!
We live with our faces and have to style our own hair most days, so we are the ones who know what works best for us. I really hate it when hairdressers get "creative", which they always seem to want to do with me.

For years I cut my own hair (Thank goodness it's very curly, because I can hide any mistakes). Lately, I have been going to the barbershop where husband and the boys get their hair cut.

The barbershop men find it very strange to see a woman in there, but Frank the barber listens and he does EXACTLY what I ask. If I say "one inch off the back", he cuts one inch off the back.

AND it costs $17! My old stylist used to charge absolute fortunes. This is WAY better.

I like Witz's suggestion. I sometimes wonder why places do this. You've had a bad haircut so they give you a coupon for a free haircut, as if you're likely to let them loose on your hair ever again.

Trinity

TerryJ2

Ohhhhh, nooo!
So sorry.
That's like getting food poisoning and then having the restaurant offer a free meal. Like THAT's what you really want. NOT.
Obviously, you need a new stylist. Any Aveda salons near you? Their training is good.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I wish I "had" someone. Abbey, I went to a hairdresser to get "highlights" to hide the grey myself. I am not a flashy person, would never give anyone that impression. Well, *MY* highlights turned out to have bleached out all of my hair! Oh my goodness! I almost fell over! Bleached out hair really ages a person. She did tone it down some. I've never had that done again.

What I've found is you have to use the right terminology for them to really understand what you want. Now I say, natural overall, mid-tone highlights every other 5th strand on top. I actually even know the number of the colors used. They're *supposed* to write that down, but rarely do.

As far as a cut, I tell him he's pretty much got free reign as long as I can put it in a pony tail. :)

Abbey

witzend

I looked like Jim Carey in Dumb & Dumber. I hated it!!! Nothing you can do though but wait it out!

Use feminine makeup but not too much! At least you can be a pretty Jim Carey! And fluff up the back so you won't look too mannish.

Mom2oddson

I've been with the same person for 24 years! I started going to her when she got out of beauty school. The only time I had someone else cut my hair was when she had knee surgery. It was a disaster. So, when she got back - I told her she can't retire until I'm dead.

I have an easter picture of the kids when they were little - my daughter is wearing a pretty easter hat. She had to... difficult child cut off ALL of her hair the night before.