Agave Nectar, Low Glycemic Index

Discussion in 'Healthful Living / Natural Treatments' started by totoro, Feb 8, 2010.

1. totoro

totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

This is huge out here. I don't know how many know about it in other parts of the country? I hadn't heard about Agave Nectar until I moved down here.

Most people use Agave Nectar in place of most other sweeteners here especially if they blood sugar issues.

It has a Low Glycemic Index of 15. 92% fructose and 8% Glucose. It does contain a little more calories than sugar per teaspoon, 20 vs 15. But it is much sweeter.

Can be substituted for sugar in baking also.

2/3 cup Agave per 1 cup sugar.

I love it and we use it in place on most sweeteners now.

2. GoingNorth

GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

Hey, if you ferment and distill your Agave nectar, you can make your own tequila and pulque, LoL.

3. totoro

totoro Mom? What's a GFG?

You are naughty! Maybe that is why I like it. LOL

4. GoingNorth

GoingNorth Crazy Cat Lady

Not naughty. Just spent nearly 25 years with a man who was a master brewer and probably would've been running his own still in the basement if I'd have let him.

Luckily I like beer and he only took up the "root cellar" part of the basement with the tanks and paraphernalia and bottles and stuff.

Actually, tequila and I do not get along well at all.

5. Nomad

Nomad Guest

I really really like this stuff (Agave Nectar!)

I'm using it all the time now.

Sometimes...I'll add 1/3 a packet of splenda and the Agave to my coffee...very yummy and sweet.

I'm trying to eliminate the spenda...I'm almost there.

Didn't know about the distilling...not an interest of mine.