Air force and the broom closet nephew...question.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I can't speak for the regulations now, but when husband went in in the very late seventies, they did do delayed entry. This was during the height of the cold war and the military was ramping up in a big way.

husband was of legal age and didn't have any special reason for going delayed entry beyond wanting more time to get into shape. He was fine on weight and conditioning and all of that, but wanted to start running.

Basically, if you didn't report on your entry date you were immediately declared AWOL. husband did get an extension on his report date, but that was because he broke his ankle a couple of weeks before he was scheduled to report.

He had to have a report from his doctor AND an approval from the military doctors before he could leave for basic.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
They still do delayed entry like that, but this kid is saying he's enlisted and leaving and the AF keeps moving his date.

And he doesn't have a strong history for telling the truth.

difficult child 1's mos training didn't start for a couple months after he finished boot. They talked about sending him home for a few weeks, but opted for putting him on gaurd duty instead. They didn't keep him out of boot for a year and a half....

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Shari. Sorry, I misunderstood. This sounds VERY fishy to me.

husband missed the scheduled start of his MOS training because he had pneumonia.

He had to wait for the start of the next cycle to start training. The military most certainly did not keep delaying the start of training over and over again. They just had husband mowing lawns, standing guard, doing KP (kitchen cleanup), and that sort of thing until he could move on to advanced training.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, no apology needed.

difficult child 1 was thrown off schedule by pneumonia, too. He just picked up with the next group.

Time will tell. As husband says, I will beleive it when I see it. I think he's just found a handy way of getting folks off his back about what he's going to do with his life.

Hope I'm wrong.

DammitJanet

Jamies was like yours.

Family day was on thursday and graduation on friday and you were gone on friday by 2 pm...lmao. Family day was the day they got their anchor, globe and eagle then they got to go spend the day with the family. The next day was the graduation.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I think if I'd have taken wee to that, those first 4 or 5 hours on family day that he couldn't have seen his brother would have been sheer hades. I bet the drill sargeant would have given in. lol

Putting them together, at least at boot camp time, was like gas and fire. lol But those two worship the ground the other walks on. Now that difficult child 1 has matured a bit, and wee has settled a bit, they don't seem to set each other off quite as badly. Or maybe its that they never have the chance these days...I dunno. lol

DammitJanet

Yeah....even Cory was impatient and he was 16. He was looking everywhere for Jamie and he was the first one to spot him too...lol. Kind of hard to miss the tallest, skinniest kid in the row...lol. Minute Cory saw him marching by us he started crying...lmao. When he started crying...we all started crying..it was hilarious. You would have never thought the two of them had ever had a cross moment.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ah! That's so sweet!

It was really cool, tho. I'm glad we went. But I don't think I could have handled wee. I had husband with me, who has never left the state, much less flown. And difficult child 1's girlfriend at the time, who is a major country star's close relative (high maintenance - lol). And difficult child 1's absent-for-the-entire-18-years-that-she-lived-in-the-same-county-as-him-but-decides-to-fly-to-cali-and-be-mom-of-the-year mom was there, wanting to be buddy-buddy with the girlfriend, who didn't want anything to do with her, so I was playing mediator/bad guy....yeah...it wouldn't have been good.

Besides. Wee would have taken one look at his long lost brother out there on that field and he'd have run out there and stuck on difficult child 1's leg for the duration of the visit. Pretty sure difficult child 1 woulda killed me if he'd have had to done his 5 mile motivational run with a 50 pound kling-on on his leg...