Air France jet catastrophe...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by gcvmom, Jun 1, 2009.

1. gcvmom

gcvmom Here we go again!

Two hundred twenty-eight people just gone. There aren't even words... :crying:

2. Lothlorien

Lothlorien Active Member Staff Member

I better go turn on the news. I've been working all morning. I don't know anything about this.

3. DammitJanet

DammitJanet Well-Known Member Staff Member

This is awful. They say there may be 6 US citizens on the plane.

4. Star*

Star* call 911........call 911

How tragic. :(

5. DammitJanet

This is just so odd. Planes dont just disappear into the air. Lightening is not normally a problem.

6. Abbey

Abbey Spork Queen

How sad for them and their families.

Abbey

7. amazeofgrace

amazeofgrace New Member

I shudder as I remember losing my sweet friend Jean recently in the small plane that crashed in NY state.....sigh.....

8. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

I was on a plane that was hit by lightning. Scary, but not deadly.

Air France's issue could have been a pre-existing malfunction that was exacerbated by the lightning, or on the other hand, controls set in place, like lightning rods, were not doing their job. Or it could have been something else altogether.
    No one will know for a while.
    Soooooooo sad.

I'm a nervous flyer anyway, so I hate it when this happens.

9. TerryJ2

TerryJ2 Well-Known Member

Amazed, so sorry about your friend. That is so sad.

10. DammitJanet

I just heard them talking on the news and they are now speculating much like I am thinking. Planes are built to withstand turbulence and lightening. There are controls in place to handle such situations. What isnt making much sense is the lack of input from the cockpit and the complete disappearance of the plane so suddenly. I hate to even think it but like the guy from NTSB said...you have to almost consider that some sort of explosion is a 50/50 chance.

11. Nancy

Nancy Well-Known Member Staff Member

The report I heard said that they were entering a tropic storm which is much more turbulent than the storms in the US. From what they could tell the plane's altitude was at the top of the storm and that is the most violent part and it can take down a plane.

Nancy

12. DammitJanet

Which leads to an interesting question...why would a pilot do that? They have radar on planes to see storms approaching and can alter their flight paths.

13. Wiped Out

Wiped Out Well-Known Member Staff Member

So tragic.