Air France jet catastrophe...

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I shudder as I remember losing my sweet friend Jean recently in the small plane that crashed in NY state.....sigh.....

TerryJ2

I was on a plane that was hit by lightning. Scary, but not deadly.

Air France's issue could have been a pre-existing malfunction that was exacerbated by the lightning, or on the other hand, controls set in place, like lightning rods, were not doing their job. Or it could have been something else altogether.
No one will know for a while.
Soooooooo sad.

I'm a nervous flyer anyway, so I hate it when this happens.

DammitJanet

I just heard them talking on the news and they are now speculating much like I am thinking. Planes are built to withstand turbulence and lightening. There are controls in place to handle such situations. What isnt making much sense is the lack of input from the cockpit and the complete disappearance of the plane so suddenly. I hate to even think it but like the guy from NTSB said...you have to almost consider that some sort of explosion is a 50/50 chance.

Nancy

The report I heard said that they were entering a tropic storm which is much more turbulent than the storms in the US. From what they could tell the plane's altitude was at the top of the storm and that is the most violent part and it can take down a plane.

Nancy

DammitJanet

Which leads to an interesting question...why would a pilot do that? They have radar on planes to see storms approaching and can alter their flight paths.