****ake Mushrooms ??

DDD

I'm adding shiake mushrooms to my "healthy" diet...sigh. Don't remember ever having them before but likely I have had them in an asian dish sometime. Do I just saute them like portabello or button mushrooms or do they need to be prepared in broth? I'm sure you guys know. DDD

:rolleyes: LOL, I had to remove the t from the mushroom description as it got edited. Funny!

witzend

I'm am LMFAO that you got bleeped on Shiitake mushrooms!

Did you purchase dry or fresh? They are used in Asian food and stir fry. I also use them the same way as Portobello mushrooms in italian foods. My favorite recipe for them is hot and sour soup.

DDD

Aha...did I leave out an "i"??? It really made me laugh, too.

Don't know if they will be dried or fresh as husband is picking them up at the grocery store. Slowly I'm changing ingredients to conform with the healthy living with cancer choices. Thank heavens I like vegs/fruits/salt water seafood etc. Heck I just plain love to EAT. Anyway in reviewing the guidelines the "x" rated mushrooms are highly recommended so I'm giving it a try. I'm combining fresh garlic, mushrooms with fresh spinach and serving over whole wheat pasta and a few sauteed shrimp.

Yum! DDD

Nancy

I love them and usually saute them in margarine
Although you could probably use olive oil. And I'm sure they are great just sliced up on salad.

Nancy

Grill them and eat them as though they were a burger, top with cheese. Or stuff them them with tomatoes or sauce and top with cheese. Stuff with crabmenat and top with cheese. Grill them! Yum!

Jody

okay fresh garlic and an entire red pepper, zuccini, a little olive oil and mushrooms, and then at the last minute throw in some fresh spinach, and then you pour this mixture over wheat bow tie pasta. Yum, lost a lot of weight and got a lot of energy eating this every day. My easy child and I love ****ake burgers. I cook onion, red pepper and green pepper, and cook the ****ake mushroom and put it on a bagel or some good for you toasted bread. You will not miss the meat at all. Mushrooms are so good for you. You can eat as many as you want, they are so low in calorie.

klmno

Do you guys grill out? I stick them on shish-k-bob sticks with other vegies or wrap them in foil and throw them on the grill toward the end of grilling. I've also sauteed them and used them in stir fry. Little did I know they were healthy- I've just been getting them because they taste good and cost less then big portabellas that are harder to work with on the grill!

witzend

Putting some in a shrimp stir fry this evening, and serving over brown rice. I lost 10 pound switching from potatoes or white rice to brown and wild rice.

DDD

OMG...my meal ended up different than I anticipated. husband "forgot" the mushrooms. Sigh. I ended up fixing Quinoa with shrimp tossed in, fresh spinach with diced onions/carrots/garlic as the compliment. Fresh cantelope sprinkled with fresh blueberries as the salad. Tasted great to me and husband....former easy child/difficult child said "WHAT is the STUFF?" when he had the Quinoa. Truthfully we have fallen in love with it AND it's healthy. What more can we ask, lol? DDD

DammitJanet

My biggest issue is getting people here to change what they normally eat. Tony is addicted to what he grew up on. Fried foods. Meat and potatoes. Serving him a veggie meal for dinner is like an assault on his very being. He claims that a working man cannot live on rabbit food. I say I cannot live on what he wants to eat. We are in somewhat of a tug of war.

I love mushrooms. I have also found I like turkey burgers. He turns up his nose at those. I cannot imagine what would happen if I fed him quinoa. I have managed to change him to whole wheat pasta. Praise the lord! However that only happens if I am there to buy it...lol.

LittleDudesMom

I love mushrooms of all types. I chop button and baby bellas every Sunday and put them in a plastic storage container and keep in the veggie keeper part of the fridge. I use them for egg white omelets, whole wheat wraps, and salads as the week goes by (I actually do this with peppers, onions, jalapenos, and cucumbers too - I put a small damp section of paper towel in the containers where the cut veggies have a tendency to dry out - makes eating healthy so much easier when everything is already done).

S mushrooms I love and I just saute them in canola oil spray (canola takes to high heat really well and mushrooms will release water as they cook so you don't need the added oil especially if you cover them for a section of the cooking time). Once they get a little brown (don't salt them when you start because they won't brown) I add some no salt (or sea salt depending on my sodium intake that day!), fresh ground pepper and a teaspoon of worchester sauce. I have that as a side dish almost once a week. Most of the grocers around here carry a wide variety of mushrooms. Keep some dried in the pantry for when you are in a fix for some added flavor to a dish!

Sharon