All tests neg. appointment for an upper endosc and sigmoidoscopy

TerryJ2

Good news and bad news. No obvious celiac disease. No C.diff. No immune system arthritis, inflammatory diseases, etc.
I had bread last night at dinner, and a big oatmeal cookie just now. I will find out for sure what happens tonight or tomorrow a.m.
Then maybe I can continue to eat wheat, but I'm going to stick to stuff from the health food store. I'm not sure if genetically modified wheat and corn are something I can digest from now on.

I have an appointment for an upper endoscopy and sigmoidoscopy in 3 wks. Sigh. At least I can go out to eat on Valentine's Day with-husband before I have to do the pill/liquid diet thing again. Which, by the way, is only 1 day, not 3 this time.

Interesting: the dr said that this time, he's going to put me completely under because I had notable trouble with-my regular colonoscopy.
"Did I say something?"
He smiled and said, "No ..."
"I didn't hit you, did I?"
He laughed and said "No."
"Blood pressure?"
He nodded, and said, "Just enough of a problem that I put down a notation for next time. I didn't take detailed notes."
"Well, you used an amnesiac."
"Yes."
"Thank you for that!!"

He also discovered that I've been taking digestive enzymes and he wanted to know what kind. I called husband's ofc and one of the staffers read the ingredients to me while I had her on speaker phone.
The dr said that was very important, and that I should stop taking them. At least three of the ingredients not only digest your food, but when you're in rough shape like I am, they digest YOU and that's very bad.
It must be something like aspirin, where most of us can handle a bit of bleeding, unless something else is out of whack.
Very interesting.

So I stopped by the health food store and picked up different dark chocolate bars without milk, and some other items. I've reintroduced chocolate today, too. Darn, shouldn't have done that along with the cookie. But I'm relatively certain that it was the milk in the chocolate that caused problems last time, and not the chocolate itself. Plus, I'm not eating an entire bar. :)

husband was very interested today when I told him the enzyme info. And the appointment for more scoping. He has not been terribly sympathetic and is a passed master at changing the subject and telling lame jokes, just like his dad used to be. He does not like sensitive topics, that's for sure.
I have to admit, the last one was funny. But I wasn't in a funny mood.
The other day I told him that I'd been in the bathroom for a long time and he totally, absolutely ignored me and started stroking a photo of a Corvette or Lamborghini or something in a magazine. "OOh, I love this car!"
"husband, I said I was in the bathroom for a long time, and I'm exhausted, and depressed, and I could use some sympathy."
More about the car photo.
"husband, people can die from this. What are you going to tell people at my funeral when it turns out that I pooped myself to death?"
"I always told you she was full of sh*t."
:crazy2:

buddy

I wish they'd find something already. Not that I want you sick but because it is nice to have answers. I did think that husband's answer was funny. You set him up well. LOL

Nancy

Lol it's good that you can find some humor in this. I know exactly what you are goign through. Years back I went through the same thing and got sick everytime I ate anything. All my tests came back normal also, even the lactose intollerance. Seems many people have a sensitivity to foods and they just can't pick it up on tests. I've tried every enzyme they make and none of them work. I am sure to get sick within 20 minutes after eating some foods, both other foods that I think are ok also make me sick. I always told husband when I get old and they try to give me those protein shake drinks to just let me die becauase I do NOT want to be sick every moment and those shakes would just kill me anyway.

InsaneCdn

Terry... hint on the wheat thing... there are more than just these, but these three strains of wheat are definitely considered "ancient grains", as in, not the modern highly hybridized stuff: spelt, kamut, and Red Fife. (I like Red Fife the best.) For the record, barley and oats are not nearly so hybridized as wheat.

Last edited:

rejectedmom

Well it is good that all the really major stuff has been ruled out. I know those tests are a bear but at least you now have a bit of emotional relief. I hope they can get to the bottom of this. (pardon the pun but I couldn't resist :p). I'm curious, what kind of enzymes were you taking? I take papaya extract and have had some problems with the big D off and on but not lately so I don't think it was that. Magnesium supplements can do this also if too much is taken. Hoping that laying off the enzymes is the answer. -RM

Last edited:

I know you want answers but I am so'happy'for'you that everything came'out negative so'far. I'm sure they were the worst things, as for husband......my husband is the same way.......dim when he should be supportive. Sorry about punctiation'typing on phone.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Glad that so far it is good news. Holding good thoughts that it was just something triggered by those enzymes or that is easily treated.

Tiapet

Old Hand
I'm sorry they didn't find anything but on the other hand, finding something might not have been a good thing if it were one of the above. So I'll just hope that "if" they find anything in the future it's something that won't be so drastic and can be easily dealt with.

LittleDudesMom

I love that you made a funny at the end.....you don't have all the answers, but at least now you have some. I now the waiting is killer, but we are with you!

Sharon

N

Nomad

So sorry to read this Terry. But, it does look like perhaps it is nothing very serious, since the tests didn't reveal something like that. When my dad died and some other very stressful things were going on at the sametime, I had my first bout with IBS. 7 trips to the bathroom each morning combined with lots of cramping. I got on medications and it stopped. Was good for 1.5 years, but when the horrid pain from TN hit, it came back briefly. Has anyone mentioned IBS to you? I hope you feel better soon!

PS I don't eat much bread or pasta, but if I do, I eat a small portion and do "food combining" which means no protein or fruit with it. Only veggies with bread or pasta and small portions of the starches only. Come to think of it, I'm doing the same with meat. Small portions of meat only and large portions of veggies.
Also, I find Ezekiel bread or tortillas very easy on my stomach.
since doing this both my GERD and IBS are significantly better: crossing my fingers and thanking God. Amen.

TerryJ2

Thank you all. :) So far, I haven't had to take an antidiarrheal today or yesterday!
Nomad, I've had IBS most of my life. But it's always been a back-and-forth thing. This is plain diarrhea, plus uncontrollable at times.