All this talk of Fetal Alcohol Effects (FAE)/Fetal Alcohol Syndrome (FAS)...What about other drugs?

A

AprilH

I have never used illicit drugs, nor did I consume alcohol while pregnant and I have never smoked. My Ex Husband, however, was a HEAVY Pot smoker during his H.S. years...has anyone seen any articles or studies about Pot use and it's negative reproductive effects? I seem to be hitting a brick wall when I try to search on the net, or I'm quite possibly just not typing in the ideal search terms. Thanks all!

"I hope that someone gets my...I hope that someone gets my...I hope that someone gets my...message in a bottle..."

BusynMember

I don't think what you husband used in high school matters. I don't know what plain pot use causes when a woman is pregnant. I've heard that alcohol is even worse than crack, but, of course, few people who use crack say "no" to alcohol so it's sort of all tied in. JMO, I"m not sure.

susiestar

Roll With It
I don't think anyone has done much research on the effects of most drugs consumed by the father. So much time is spent researching what mom did wrong, there doesn't seem to be time or $$$ to focus on dad's behavior. Partly because the many many months women are pregnant, but also because it would be hard to do a study to figure out what things dad does and how it effects the child.

Hugs,

susie

A

AprilH

Yeah, I am willing to bet that you are correct about the stress that fetuses can be exposed to inutero; my marriage was unraveling while I was pregnant with him. Add to that the fact that my son feels abandoned by him since he has made no effort to be in thank you's life. My Ex husband has had several kids with other women since we divorced and from what I know right now, one of them is starting to have the same problems at the same age that my son started showing them also. A lot to think about....

B

butterflydreams

Very interesting! I have repeatedly told doctors and such about my children's father doing crack - I was completely unaware of it at the time. I believe he started on it around right about the same time I got pregnant. I had stress throughout my whole pregnancy right from the beginning up until I delivered. Not only stress because of my husband but it was a high-risk pregnancy.

I think back now to different behaviors and such from when my son was little and really question about different things now. Then, when my husband died in 2005, I think that sent my son in a downward spiral.