Allergy medications?

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
OK I am suffering from allergies for the first time! :sick: Which Doctor said was pretty commom when you move here. brother in law said he thought he though he was gonna die his first year here.
So I took Claritin Sunday, didn't do much. The redi-tabs. Monday and Today I took Zyrtec....
Just an FYI for any of you who have BiPolar (BP) or maybe kids who have it... Zyrtec is triggering me bad... whatever that damn antihistamine is in it, Certirizine HCL, keep it away from me!!!
I seriously feel like I am on speed and I hate it. This is the bad Manic feeling.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Zyrtec is the only one that works for H's general spring allergies. I prefer claritin myself - no drowsiness, etc. If I take Zyrtec I fall asleep and feel like my head is not attached to my body.

difficult child takes zyrtec when she's at her dad's because he has a bad shedding dog. It does make her a bit manic-y. She normally takes claritin for spring allergies.

easy child tries to take nothing at all, but if push comes to shove she will take claritin - zyrtec works better for her though.

I guess it really depends on the person.

SRL

totoro, try the Breathe Right Strips. I'm a lifelong allergy sufferer and I wish I knew about these years ago.

Allergra-D is my antihistamine-decong of choice. I've had some help with Singulaire but nothing helps as much as the Allergra.

klmno

Totoro, interesting you should mention that. In spite of what some doctors told me, I became convinced that zyrtec was contributing to difficult child's spring mania. I quit giving it to him, although iit was the most effective allergy medication he'd ever used. I use the allegra-d but I am not BiPolar (BP). difficult child now uses a nasal spray that has no steroids and there's something different about the antihistimine but I don't understand it. All I know is that this dr said it wasn't like the other nasal sprays. difficult child had no problems with it.

susiestar

Roll With It
Zyrtec knocks me OUT. For 2 days, that kind of OUT. It seems to help Jessie though. thank you gets a rash from it, ick.

You may have to try Allegra or Allegra D. They work pretty well. My mom only takes 1/2 of an Allegra 3 times a week and it keeps her allergies under control.

I have found the Sinus Rinse bottle or neti pot to be the MOST effective thing for me. It washes the allergens out of your nose and then they are not there to trigger me. With the sinusrinse bottle I don't take allergy medications anymore.

I do use Ayr Saline Gel in my nose after I do the rinse, it keeps things from drying out and being more susceptible to the allergens.

I hope you feel better soon.