Allow cigarettes for teen?

klmno

thank you! I'm only thinking of these things because I've had similar issues with my son. He is also 16 but turns 17 next week.

Nancy

If it works great, hope it does. I have heard news reports lately that says it doesn't and is a waste of money but hopefully it will work for him. I have found no difference in the amount of cigarette smoking at any of the meetings in our area whether they are attended by young or old. In fact the meetings that are young people orientated have a larger population that smokes and also a larger population of relapse and young people that are just there because they are court ordered and don't hide the fact tht theycan't wait to get out. Some even come high. I hated when difficult child went to the young people's meetings. She doesn't go to those any more. The regular AA meetings are much better in that the people have been in the program longer and they are more stable.

This is a personal decision and no one can dictate how a parent should handle it. However I seriously doubt whether forbidding him to smoke cigarettes is really going to make him stop smoking. Gosh if it was that easy difficult child would not be an alcoholic, I would have just forbidden her to drink.

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
I never thought that I would buy my difficult child cigarettes but we started buying her cigarettes when she went into rehab and have continued while she is in the halfway house. I hate it but think it is the least of our problems. I do think that Zardo's difficult child being a minor does complicate the issue.

Nancy, I laughed when I read your comment about whether just forbidding a difficult child from smoking would work. I would have forbidden lying, stealing, smoking, and substance abuse and my life would have been so much easier! Of course, in the case of most difficult child's, telling them not to do something just makes them bound and determined to do it!

~Kathy