Already threads on this....

klmno

I know- but this Mom needs this board and a good psychiatrist for her son...I feel so bad for her.

Lothlorien

I'm glad that this is bringing the mental health issues to the forefront. Unfortunately, once the law is changed, I think it will be pushed away. No one wants to deal with it.

klmno

True, Loth. I can relate to a few of this mother's worries. Before my difficult child was put on MS's, he had his stealing phases, he would get up during the night and roam the house-including coming to my bedroom and just looking at me sleeping, he has tried smoking cigarettes, he used to lose his temper with people at school and hit somebody. This Mom's kid needs a good evaluation and some treatment. At least those of us on this board get some insight that apparently, no one has given her. If she gets a local therapist like some that my difficult child/I saw, they might just tell her it's CD and be done with it. It sounds like she has already heard that it's her parenting skills causing the problem several times.

I want to advocate for more adequate mental health treatment and awareness but I don't know where to begin. And with the economic problems in our country right now, who would listen to the importance of this when so many people are faced with losing their home?

Lothlorien

I want to advocate for more adequate mental health treatment and awareness but I don't know where to begin. And with the economic problems in our country right now, who would listen to the importance of this when so many people are faced with losing their home?

Sad, but true.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
It is true. And so many just blame us. I had that so often up in Idaho. Especially the Police, "If the parents just stayed out of the way"
They don't understand that we are the thin link to stability most times for our kids. We have nothing else.
husband was trying to explain to his parents last night that yes we have a psychiatrist and a therapist but essentially it is the parents that do everything. The Doctors and the medications are not the answers.
Without support for us... how can we do it?

KTMom91

I feel so badly for that woman. I've heard many of the same lines, with the "single parent" thing tossed in for good measure.

susiestar

Roll With It
I HATE that parents go through this and have so few resources to truly help our kids. I HATE that the system is so broken.

This mom certainly DOES need docs that will HELP and not let her kid manipulate them. Sadly I think Wiz could manipulate almost any therapist or psychiatrist he ever saw except the dev pediatrician we loved. I think this woman's son can also do this. I don't know WHY so many tdocs and psychiatrists are so easily manipulated. it seems that they would learn better, but they don't.

I hope she gets help for him very soon, because if he is sexually abusing another child the clock is ticking and it may be too late to help him sooner rather than later. It truly is a behavior that can change a person's thinking, the abuser begins to think there is nothing wrong with what they are doing, or already thinks it, and it can be almost impossible to rehabilitate a sexual abuser.

And the stalking is scary. We really thought we would not wake up some mornign because Wiz would do that, and often whisper hideous threats while doing it.

My prayers go to this woman.

klmno

As it said toward the end of the article, she acknowledges that she's made mistakes and there are probably things could have done differently, but she honestly believes that there is something more going on with her son. I thought she sounded pretty rational and I doubt she caused this problem- maybe that's because I can relate to feeling that way, too! LOL!