Alright Then...Tooooo Depressing

nvts

Ok, there's something in the air out there...we've all been hitting the skids as far as depression, anger, frustration and just generally "icky".

I know that I've truly been a total :censored2: around here because nothing is going right.

I propose that we start a thread recording at least one thing about each of our kids (easy child's included) that just makes you love them. It could be funny, sad, touching, surprising, etc.

It could have happened today OR years ago.

Let's face it gals, we're really on a downward spiral and it's been going on for quite a while. I for one love the fall, Halloween and baking for the holidays - and let's be honest, I've got a hankering for some buttery cricket soup!

Anyone in?

Beth

nvts

difficult child 1: Wow, this is tougher than I thought - he's been a fistful o' dollars for so many years! I think what I love about him is that he's going to be 10 on Thursday but he still gives those mushy-little-kid kisses. He'll just walk right up to you and give you a mushy, loose-lipped kisses that feel all kinds of warm and squishy, and just says "I love you". He's an icky little kid, but at least he's trying (my patience, but he's trying!).

difficult child 2: To this day makes me laugh an average of 5 times a day. He's always saying or doing something that's genuinely funny. But my favorite story about him is the time when he was in pre-k and was in the habit of stripping naked when he had to do "number 2". He was in the classroom bathroom for a while and his teacher knocked on the door and asked if he was ok. He told her "come in" so she naturally thought he was horsing around in the bathroom. She opens the door, and there he is, stripped naked except for his socks, perched on the throne. "difficult child 2 - why are you sitting here in your socks?" and he replied with the "duh!" tone that only a 4 year old can use, and said "uh, because my feet are cold!".

She said "oh", closed the door, walked into the office and called me laughing her butt off!

difficult child 3: Her mispronunciations! OMG! That kid'll make me laugh EVERY time! She's trying to be "popliar" (aka popular). She wrote a report about playing at the park "sprinkliars" that are shaped like native american "tolgrum poles". And they just go on and on and on. Even though she NEVER stops talking, I have to keep making her repeat and repeat and repeat some of the phrases!

That's about it for now...

Beth

Andy

Thank you Nvts. Yes, it does seem like this has become a challenging Fall for many of our board friends. Probably those whose Summers are easier than the school year?

easy child - My easy child has always been a people person. When she was about 4 years old, she won a radio contest of being "One in a Million". I wrote up a cool nomination for her. Long story. One thing is that she was always happy. I hope once her icky teenage attitude disapears that she can be happy again. She can go up to any one regardless of age and carry on an appropriate conversation. She is kind hearted (someday I may get it toward me also?). easy child has a beautiful singing voice and is a great public speaker.

difficult child - My difficult child is my assistant. He helps me set up for Sunday School. When I managed a concession stand, he helped with that also. He loves to take on responsibilities (except clean his room!). difficult child also has a great singing voice. I hope he will accept a solo in this year's school musical.
He likes helping younger kids (loves the attention the Kindergartners are giving him this year - he is the oldest kid in school and the little kids adore him.)

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
We can all find at least one thing to be thankful for.

I left the house this morning, relieved it was raining because that left H available to drive difficult child to her school, which is soooo far away I now realize. Anyway, on the way to work I wondered to myself if I even kissed him goodbye. I honestly could not remember if I even said goodbye - usually I wish him a happy day, etc. Well, after I came out from getting my coffe, there was a text message from H. It said, "I love you"....awwwww.

easy child left me money to cover the cost of towing her car because she knows that we just cannot handle another financial need at this time. I am often amazed at her maturity and common sense about things. I love that we have such a good time together and can laugh at things, even when they hoover.

difficult child showered this morning! And she's taking not having her car better than expected. And she's inviting her boyfriend to our home to hang out and we like him. And she's been telling me about her life. And she told me about her piercing, which I really would rather not know to be honest, but at least she can tell me. I am grateful that my daughters tell me about themselves and thier lives - good and bad.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I really need this thread this morning with easy child refusing to go to school and my bad back-I'm feeling a bit grumpy.

difficult child-He has such a great sense of humor and can make me laugh, also his empathy for some situations can be amazing. He loves to laugh and I love to hear him laugh.

easy child-She has great insight into some things. She is very smart and even with being very depressed has a great sense of humor. She's always been my angel girl.

tiredmommy

Duckie starting receiving communion when she was four years old. We studied and everything because she really wanted to receive. So, at her first communion (with a packed church) she accepts the wafer and says loud enough for all to hear: "So this is what skin tastes like!".

Folks in the parish still laugh about it. :rofl:

susiestar

Roll With It
What a great thread - and a much needed one, at least for me!

Wiz is just amazing to me. He has come so far, and is such a sweet guy. He takes the time at least every other week to play pokemon (the card game or the video game) with thank you. and he is careful to make sure that kids know NOT to pick on HIS sister and brother. thank you got punched a few days ago on the bus, and Wiz was ready to go find the kid and give him heck. but he didn't, though he DID find the older sibling (step sib) of the boy and ask him to have his bro lay off thank you. I was so touched by this!

Jessie works so hard, even when she hurts like crazy. She can always find a smile for us, even during that awful migraine. I am so impressed by her, she stands up and takes responsibility when she makes a mistake or breaks something. And she is just plain FUNNY - jokes and puns abound.

thank you has the sweetest temperament. He never fails to give me a kiss and a hug before he leaves for school - even if I drop him off and other kids are watching. He loves puns, and makes more and more of them every day. He also does the cutest magic tricks. And he has such an inquisitive mind - always discovering new things.

Awesome thread!

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
N~ My sweet little baby. She can turn on a dime and give you that Damien glare, and then say Mommy I have something for you, Wrap her little skinny arms around your neck and give you a big sloppy kiss. Despite her anxiety she will dance anywhere. Especially with other little boys! The best is her Cluttering, she is so polite so it starts with the, "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, um, Mom, excuse me can I , um excuse me." On and on...

K~ has a heart of gold. Despite being socially unaware at times and so angry and confused. She just wants happiness.
I can still see so clear the day she grabbed the little girls hand who was scared to got to pre-school, K took her hand and said I will help you it. That is her to a tee.

house of cards

This is a great exercise for me right now, focusing on some of the positive.

M, my 1st born and truely easy child is a child to brag on. He was a volunteer EMT, Eagle Scout, spent senior yr in high school taking classes at the local comm college because he had taken all the AP courses at the high school already..he is now engaged with a great job and saving for a house.

B, my young adult with ADHD is finishing his final yr in college, he trys to help out with the kids when he comes home and lets husband and me get out occassionally. He has a sweet spot for the little ones.

M2, is a sweet heart, but sometimes an airhead, he has a very good way of laughing off his antics. It is very good that he can laugh at himself.

Major is a bit of an old soul, he is a neat kid to talk to, he can be very deep at times. He also has a gentle, generous, caring side.

S, is sweet and has an innocence, he is the kid walking down the hall smiling at everyone and knows all their names.

L, wants to be helpful, she tries her best at all times even thou it is a constant struggle at school, she has empathy and will give a hug if she thinks anybody needs it.

M, makes us all laugh, he can be a bit strange sometimes, like hopping into school rather then just walking. His 16 yr old brother describes him as "just a cool dude".

A, the girl has such an evil happy laugh, you know she is a handful, but you don't mind because she has a deep joy for life itself.

'Chelle

This is something good to remember to do every day. It's not all that easy when busy day-to-day stuff is going on.

easy child - well, she finds so much in life just fun. When they do laps around the dojo at karate you can find her giggling while doing it. I'm glad she can find so much to laugh about in even the small things

difficult child - he has such a quick wit and a quirky sense of humor sometimes. He can surprise me and make me laugh when I don't expect to. He's also become someone, when he comes out of his room, that is easy to talk to.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Travis' utter determination to perservere no matter what life seems to throw at him. Which has been enough for many people, let alone just one. (take a look at my siggy) He's like the energizer Bunny. He just keeps right on going. And his unabashed generousity. He is beyond a doubt the most generous person I've ever known.

Nichole's is her love of nature and art.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Tm-I have to laugh at the skin comment. When difficult child received his first communion, he went back to the priest to ask for seconds!

KTMom91

Miss KT - she's looking ahead to life after high school, taking a college placement test tomorrow morning, and overall doing better at keeping it together.

SSon B - has a BFA, a job he enjoys, and a nice wife.

SSon G - going to college, working as an electrician, has a nice girlfriend, still wants to be Tony Hawk.

everywoman

easy child 1--He was born a leader and a politician (And I mean that in a good way--if it's possible). He is an excellent husband and father. He has a strong sense of right and wrong. He take pride in his work.

difficult child--He has the sensitive soul of an artist. He sees things that others miss. He can make me laugh when no one else can. And he can recite any line from any movie he has ever seen. And little kids love him.

easy child---She is the most determined person I've ever met. At 4 she said, "I'm four today, I need to learn to tie my own shoes." So she sat down and practiced for 2 hours until she could. She is verbally challenged, so, if she doesn't know the right word, she'll make one up---she is constantly calling anti-inflammatory pills, defamatory pills. She tries to be a good role model for younger teen girls. She'll take them out to eat, to the mall, pick them up from school, and spend time mentoring them.

Abbey

Spork Queen
I treasure my daily phone call from easy child daughter. She is such a peach. She tells me everything (sometimes too much), but we are not only mother and daughter, but best friends. She has the best self esteem of anyone I know. I guess I did SOMETHING right in raising a kid.:redface: Heck...she taught me how to play beer pong!!

Abbey

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
kt has been planning her future for 2 years now ~ she's going to cosmetology school & is so very excited. She loves animals. For all that's happened in her life, kt has a very positive outlook to life. My favorite memories of kt had been dancing cheek to cheek with her in the kitchen when she was just 7. I taught her that song & could carry kt about like a toddler & dance with her. We would sing (horribly I might add) at the top of our lungs while we danced.

wm, has developed a very delightful sense of humor. My favorite comment from wm was a few years ago while he was in Residential Treatment Center (RTC). husband & I were visiting & I commented on his dimples when he smiled. wm replied, "Oh, these - these dimples are chick magnets, mom!" I about died laughing.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
easy child 1 - has an amazing sense of humor and the ability to laugh at himself. He's good at figuring things out and building (tho not so good at always following thru and finishing..)

difficult child 1 - he could move mountains, if he so desired. He's doing good and that makes me smile (not breathe easy, just smile)

easy child 2 - is learning to have friends. Its an up and down, but I enjoy watching her little successes with thi.

difficult child 2 - he's just funny. He's had 4 good days of school and walks out of each one beaming.

overwhelmed...

difficult child-has amazing intensity when doing karate. When all of the other kids are just kind of playing at karate, she is completely focused on it. She always emerges drenched in sweat when the other kids are fresh as daisies! It is truly amazing to watch her.

Sometimes, at night, she will lay across my lap and let me tickle her. It's really more like a gentle brushing of the fingertips over her arms or legs or her back. It is something her dad has always done with her and it is very calming and relaxing. She absolutely loves it and just melts. She will lay there quietly for hours (if my arms would hold up that long) and just cuddle. Sometimes she and her dad will fight over whose back I'm going to tickle (everyone loves to be tickled!)...and sometimes I have to double team and do them both at the same time...its really very sweet and tender.

trinityroyal

Beth, thanks for posting this. It's timely.

difficult child--Has a wealth of compassion and patience for people who need his help. When he was going to a Special Education school a few years ago, he struck up a friendship with a girl who is non-verbal (difficult child can talk enough for any 4 people, so it sort of made sense). He worked with her secretly for weeks and taught her to say her name, which was the first word she ever spoke in her 21 years of life. Her parents were in tears when he left for a mainstream high school.

Little easy child--My sensitive little charmer and gentle giant. Makes me laugh like no one else in the world can do, and gives the best hugs and snuggles. Even though he's nearly 7, he's not embarrassed to be hugged and kissed by mummy (even in front of his friends!!!)

4sumrzn

easy child~so much like his Daddy....funny, charming, well spoken, well mannered & more. A little different from Dad....still an honor student (long way to go though), a "little" spoiled" & a smart :censored2: sometimes (Oh wait....so is husband, never a dull moment). Oh well.

difficult child~she is so silly sometimes, makes me laugh.....so loving with her babydolls, makes me cry happy tears. AND....she can tie her shoes now!!!!!!!!!! YIPPEEE....love it!