Also New Here

Chastity

Hi - I'm a stay home Mom to 2 boys, Bailey (4) and Justin (almost 3.) My older son Bailey has multiple diagnoses; Sensory (Sensory Seeking) and Language (Receptive Delays) Disorders, and ADHD. He's exceptionally bright. He was recently Academically evaluated and the tests had mixed results. He did poorly on the IQ test. The psychologist said that he couldn't sit still for the test, but on the Academic Achievement portion of the test he had the course of a 2nd grader. My boy is very confusing on paper. He's in Preschool 3 mornings a week, and has Occupational Therapist (OT) and Speech Therapy weekly. Soon we'll be starting Feeding Therapy. He only eats smooth textured food without throwing it back up, that goes back to his sensory disorder. Also with his Sensory + ADHD, his appetite is insatiable. This has caused a huge problem with his weight. He is 47 1/2" tall and weighs 89 pounds. All of the professionals in his life have agreed that a stimulate medication would help him in all areas. I've finally decided to give Vyvanse a try. We start the medication on Friday.

Needless to say, I am totally overwhelmed. I need people to talk to that can relate. None of my friends or family have experiences with what I'm going through. I look forward to getting to know everyone!

SRL

Welcome Chastity.

You'll find plenty of moms who've dealt with a variety of issues and I hope you'll feel among friends..

BusynMember

I would take him to a developmental pediatrician. He has some symptoms of high functioning autism, especially the sensory stuff and speech delay. They are confusing kids--some are very accelerated in some areas, yet they don't "get it" in others. Does he like to be hugged? Eye contact with strangers good? Play appropriately with toys? Line anything up? Any strange vocalizations (like high pitched sounds) or arm flapping or anything he does over and over again sometimes? Can he relate appropriately to his peers (I know he's young, it's hard to tell at this age). Can he transition from one activity to another or does that make him cry or freak out?
This is important because so much can be done for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) kids, but the earlier you start interventions, the better it is. I'd at least check it out.
My son is on the spectrum. His first diagnosis was ADHD/ODD, but that really wasn't the whole thing. He also had sensory issues and even to this day won't touch foods of certain textures. He had speech issues until he was four and was very strange...lol. He's a great fifteen year old now--a lot less strange.
Welcome :)