Am I in the right place?

DammitJanet

Yes, yep you are! Welcome.

Im sure plenty of people will ask you questions about how he got that diagnosis. I am going on the assumption you are in the US but if not, that makes more sense.

10 is awful young for a CD diagnosis. Not saying it cant happen but its still young. Normally the progression would be from ODD to CD which has to be diagnosed before the 15th birthday and then if there are still problems after the person becomes an adult it can stay CD or if behaviors escalate it can be a personality disorder....normally antisocial.

There are people here who dont believe in the CD label but Im not one of them. I do. Yes there are other disorder's that can look like conduct disorder but conduct disorder isnt given until doctor's have ruled out other mental illnesses. I would assume if you have that diagnosis he must have been tested quite a bit.

Now, if I am wrong and your son hasnt been thoroughly tested to rule out any mental illnesses then you really would want to do that because the actual treatments for each thing can be different.

BusynMember

You are are in the right place. Can you maybe tell us more about your son so we can help better? Conduct Disorder is rarely diagnosed in kids under 18. What symptoms does he show, how was his infancy/toddlerhood, and who diagnosed him.

Welcome to the board, but sorry you had to be here.

Bunny

Welcome to our corner of the web! Please, pull up a chair and tell us about yourself and your son. You will find lots of support here.

Trish40

I don't mean any disrespect but I didn't come there to defend my son's diagnoses , he has been diagnosed the same by 3 docs with early onset, I am here for support , advice and so I don't feel so alone :)

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I don't mean any disrespect but I didn't come there to defend my son's diagnoses , he has been diagnosed the same by 3 docs with early onset, I am here for support , advice and so I don't feel so alone :)

Hello and welcome!

We don't mean to put you on the defensive - we do tend to be a questioning bunch. We have also learned over the years that there are doctors - and then there are DOCTORS. I can't tell you how many families here have been given a first diagnosis that turned out to be completely wrong.

That said - on a forum like this that is populated with unusual diagnoses.... "Early Onset Conduct Disorder" is not one we usually see. (Hence the questions.)

So - rather than questioning the diagnosis...let me just ask:

What kinds of issues are you struggling with on a day-to-day basis?
What have the doctors recommended? Is it working?
How is your child doing in school?