Am I strange for being bugged by this?

Rotsne

Banned
After having difficulties trying to erase and forget what I by mistake walked in on yesterday by the oldest I can take hearing some music, but you are right.

The entertainment industry are just too focused on what sells. They have absolutely no boundaries.

Why does everyone need a stint in a rehab to succeed?
Why not leave at least something to the imagination?

They are dancing to this number in pre-school and they can sing it also regardless of the fact that it is in another language. We have no no-touching rules in school so they kiss openly even down to grade zero. Where has the childhood innocence gone?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Remember that song from the 90's called "Wasn't Me". Well, that song had the same effect on me as this one does..........except, Nichole was 10 and I was tryng not to listen to it around her...

But......yeah, she heard it on the raido..........And I swear to God she was positive they were singing "banging on the bathroom door" instead of .....(replace door with floor). :rofl: Even grown she was adament about it until easy child and I made her listen to the lyrics. She was soooo embarrassed. Because she thought it was a song about a guy and girl having a fight and the guy literally banging on the bathroom door with his fist. lol

So thankfully, even though Nichole did hear that song on occasion.....it zipped right over her head.

Starbie........you need a new career as a comedy writer and a song writer. You've got a Gold Album there. :D :rofl: (I'd buy it)

Marguerite

When difficult child 3 was a toddler (and up to age 4 or 5) he was non-verbal but echolalic. I know, it's bizarre. But he would listen to the radio and would sing along to everything he heard. PLus, he would pick up a song from ONE hearing (or partial hearing) and sing it. He was memorising not just te words, but any other sounds that seemed (to his ears) to have equal importance. Thus he would sing the Fugees' version of "Killing Me Softly" complete with the "boing boing" sounds in the music. He wasn't so much singing the words, he was singing a series of (to him) random sounds that he memorised in a very long, complex sequence. When your kid is a walking tape recorder, it's scary sometimes. Not all kids pick things up quite this quickly, but you really do have to be careful about what they are exposed to, when they have 100% recall. We used to say he was like a blotter - he soaked up everything, but often got it all backwards.

What was really embarrassing - when he would sing "I'm a Barbie Girl" (Aqua) while walking into pre-school.
"I'm a Barbie girl, in a Barbie world. Life in plastic, it's fantastic." etc
Incidentally, that was a song that got banned - in Japan, the home of Mattel. I don't think they liked the satire.

Marg

susiestar

Roll With It
Sorry If I offended anyone iwth the ocmment about my sister in law being a Christian Fundamentalist - it is her term for the extremes she takes her religion to. She is VERY extreme, can't have friends who are not in her church because they will cause the Devil to enter her life, uses the Bible to explain away her behavior and beat up other people because their behavior. She presents herself as a very godly person who must protect thier child from my brother's "Godlessness" (he is non-denominational, but very much believes in God), yet she is the one who brings some very questionable clothing, toys, people, etc.... into their daughter's life.

Again, I did not mean to offend anyone, nothing wrong with being a fundamental anything, but there is something wrong with using your religion to emotionally beat up other people.

Just in my opinion.

Marguerite

Susie, I "got" what you were saying - you weren't talking about religion, but using the example to describe hypocrisy over this issue from within your own family.

We all are coming from some very different point of view over this, but one factor we can't always control, is what our kids hear. We might control the home environment, we might control what is played in the car, but when our kids go to someone else's home, when they're at school, when you're walking through a shopping centre - we don't have control over what music is being played in the background.

Also, speaking form experience - as your kids get older, they become more proactive about what music they listen to, and how they will get their hands on it. Kids share music, especially when they get into their teens. I handled this by making sure I listendd to it all, and then we would discuss it. I knew better than to try and stop them from listening to it, because they had too much opportuity to make their own choices in this. So instead by listening to the music, by going online to find the lyrics (so I didn't make mistakes such as "banging on the door"!) and even by reading reviews or histories about the particular songs, I was able to give the kids an informed different point of view.

For example, difficult child 1 became really keen on the music of Rammstein. This German group was distressed to find their music associated with a nasty school shooting in the US, and to find that some people were blaming their music. Some other people were concerned when they foundwhat sort of music difficult child 1 was listening to. So I listened to the music, I got copies of the lyrics (with translations) and we talked. I explained what the words meant, I discussed the puns within the words (very clever, in a lot of their lyrics) but I also explained, when I'm driving the car I get to choose the music. And I can't listen to more than one or two of their songs, before I need to hear something light and happy. Rammstein's music IS very Gothic (my definition, here) andwhile I can appreciate the vocal talents of their lead singer, I also can appreciate Freddy Mercury, thank you, so a bit of Queen has to compensate.

Which is good, because my kids like Queen also. And it's really difficult to be offended/concerned with "I Want to Ride My Bicycle".

Marg

Lothlorien

SHAGGY! I absolutely love that song! Of course, I don't listen to it with the kids around, but I think his songs are just a riot. I have several of his songs on my MP3. My friends look at me like I have two heads when I listen to that!

C.J.

When N* was about 5 or 6, the Spice Girls song, "I just want to be your lover" was a big hit. As the radio was playing one day while we were in the car, that song came on, she seemed to know all the lyrics, and I changed the station to the Oldies. Whatever happened to "I wanna hold your hand"?

Now whenever anything I don't like comes on when she is in the car - I switch stations. That is her clue to find something unobjectionable to me. It's my car and my ears.

Be bugged by stuff you don't want to digest, and don't digest it. Don't apologize for it, change it, remove it, throw it out, whatever it takes.

We put up with enough junk in our lives from the ones we love, and I'm not putting up with junk from people trying to sell me "stuff" and call it music or art or anything else.

M

ML

I haven't heard the song but I don't like the glamorization of teen sex in general. I know it's everywhere but it does get to me too. You're not strange! Love, ML

Anaheimfan

Blue Collar Boy
I don't believe it is a strange set of values at all Susie.
I 100% agree with pushing the idea of cheating on someone, as if people need the encouragement without the media glamourizing infidelity, unfaithfulness, and promiscuity.

As for the bragging...I will admit I'm guilty, because it's kind of the culture, sit around at the base with the guys having a bull-session, someone brings it up and you all jump in...But that's different than posting pictures of yourself posing provocatively with someone of the same sex, or videos of yourself and someone of the same sex making out all over your MySpace page or Facebook profile.

The media today really glamourizes immorality. It states that cheating is perfectly fine, getting drunk to the point of needing medical attention is cool, and that OD-ing more times than you can count makes you a hero or Mr./Mrs. Cool.

We have more than enough problems in our society with sexuality, infidelity, drug/alcohol abuse, violence against women, crime, youth crime without the media sticking their noses into it and glamorizing it.

There is a lot of advertising for people to make videos singing the Katie Perry song "I Kissed a Girl". I know in the video it makes it look like it was a dream, but it still bothers me.

I don't have a problem with people who are in same-sex relationships, or are just oriented towards the same sex. But I think this song sends a bad message.

I went and read the lyrics, and it makes it sound like it is OK to experiment sexually with the same sex, even desirable to do it. It also says that she hopes her boyfriend won't mind.

Sexual experimenting happens. And it is normal. But any sexual practices don't need to be bragged about, nor do we need music that makes it sound like the "cool" thing to do.

It also pushes the idea of cheating on someone you are in a committed relationship with. That bothers me a LOT. When you commit to someone, it should be a full commitment. Young people, or any people for that matter, don't need music that tells them it is OK to kiss other people even though they have a boyfriend/girlfriend.

I guess it is just pushing to much sexual permissiveness? Not sure if that is what I mean. I truly would not have a problem if one of my kids entered a relationship with someone of the same sex, as long as they were HAPPY.

But our society already pushes the envelope too much in sexual issues. I don't think that bedroom behavior needs to be splashed about, I think it should stay behind closed doors.

Is this a strange set of values? I am not sure I am phrasing what bothers me very well.

Last edited:

lovemysons

Hey Sus,
don't know what this means but even during the time that easy child was experimenting with the same sex and I found out about it...she intentionally turned that song off and onto another station when it came on.

by the way, easy child seems to be back on track, at this point not interested in either boys or girls. Still bowling and likely will get a full ride scholarship to college for it and still making A's B's and doing well in school.

Tammy

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
at 1st it kinda bothered me now I see it for what it is, a quirky song, much like "I want your sex" was the quirky song when I was young.

BusynMember

Somebody brought up commercials. I have a BIG BEEF with erectile dysfunction ads in the middle of the day! These are both on the radio and television and my kids have both asked me what erectile dysfunction is (blush, blush). I admit I wimped out and said, "Oh, just some infection."

Lothlorien

MWM...Agreed! That's another one that comes up while I'm watching the news (while making dinner). I'm just waiting for the day she asks me what that is!

Honestly, I'm surprised she hasn't. When I was her age, I knew waaaaay too much, because I questioned absolutely everything! I knew about the birds and the bees at 7. I knew about Santa at 6. I guess I should be thankful she is not like me on that aspect. She's touched on things in questions, but nothing like me. I was absolutely relentless until someone answered me. It made for some embarrasing moments with my Dad, let me tell ya.

The song itself doesn't bother me, I guess because there are so many others that are even more offensive. And they're on easy child's Ipod! We share it, sometimes I accidently play one of his songs. OMG is all I can say! Forget even the cursing, there is one song about someone being afraid of getting caught by his friends for having "fun" with an overweight girl. The messages these kids are getting, are bad, absolutely.