Am I too sensitive? What makes you cringe?

Fran

Former desparate mom
TM, when my son's would come to the supper table without a shirt(elementary school and jr. high)I warned that I would remove my shirt and see if they enjoyed their meal. LOL. It is hot in the summer and they were in the pool most of the day but a family meal should have the basic body parts appropriately covered.
I never had to say it again.

We are a physically affectionate family from grandparents on down. It is hugs without restraint and kisses on cheeks without reason. I'm sure there are many who find it overly emotive but I would never stop it or even put a damper on it. My sibs,kids, in laws and even friends are huggers and kissers. My 23 yr old difficult child still gives big hugs with kisses on the cheek. easy child's friends hug me and give me kisses. I can't seem to stop them. LOL. :slap: It's actually lovely. Our family would definitely put your teeth on edge. Just another spin on physical affection.

F

flutterbee

I'm not touchy-feely either. My mom is a hugger and she's finally realized that I'm not. I hug my kids, but as they've gotten older they've wanted less of that, too.

I do have something for the ladies: low-rise pants can be too low-rise. When you're immaculately dressed, albeit in low, low rise pants, and you bend over to try on shoes in DSW, I do not want to see things I should not be seeing. (And I'm not talking panties!) AHEM!!!

tinamarie1

Well since I work in the wonderful world of customer service, I have to say that these are some of my peeves:

*When someone calls for an insurance quote, we have been talking for oh, about 20 minutes and THEN they say...oh let me get a pen and write that all down, can you repeat that? uggggggggggggggg

*When they call and ask me a question for their boy friend, who is evidentally sitting right beside them and for some reason can't seem to dial and hold the phone all by his wittle sewlf...awwww love aint that grand?

and...people who can't seem to finish that SANDWICH before picking up the phone to call our office.

And, not related to customer service, but when I tell people that husband is going into the military and they make this scrunchy face and say, ohhhhhh whyyyyy??? excuse me? if we didn't have military we might be in pretty bad shape. How about just smiling and saying thats great!

witzend

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Daisylover</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> And I can't seem to help myself. </div></div>

Daisy, you gave me the perfect response to quote! But only because you used it correctly... :wink:

I'm a grammar Nazi. Having been brought up Catholic, there are certain things I can tolerate, but I cringe when I hear people use "myself" or "yourself" wrongly and think that it makes them sound superior. The grammar rule about when to use those words, and "I" and "we" are pretty simple. If you are talking about yourself and someone else, you use the same pronoun you would as if you were just talking about yourself. ie: "I am going to the store" is "Mom and I are going to the store". Not "Mom and myself are going to the store." You wouldn't say "Myself is going to the store." Same thing with "Mom, you need to stop by the store". Not "Mom yourself needs to stop by the store."

I am trying so hard to find some work I can do from home one or two days a week. I look online for positions and send out my resume in response to ads. I get stupid e-mails from people who tell me "Myself and others earn up to $3,000 a week working from home typing for others."

:slap: Egads I hope not!

At best it makes people sound pretentious.

donna723

I know exactly what you mean about the "touchie-feelie hugging types"! I'm not talking about within the family - with family members it's lovely, and it's sincere. But we have a couple of women at work who are "huggers" and it comes across as silly and juvenile. I'm not talking about teenagers here, these are women in their thirties and forties!

One in particular does this all the time. Well, two of them really, but one is worse then the other. There are certain people that she has to hug every time she sees them, including several men! I'm not talking about a simple little hug! She squeals, she runs at people, she throws her arms around them, and gushes happily while they jump up and down ... like a reunion with a long-lost best buddy! Um, she saw these people like ... yesterday? And when they part, they're yelling, "I love you!" I've seen her do this to five or six people just on her way out at quitting time. Takes her forever to get to the parking lot. The whole thing is soooo over-the-top phony and sooooo insincere and juvenile - it gives you the feeling that we're all back in the eighth grade!

tiredmommy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fran</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We are a physically affectionate family from grandparents on down. It is hugs without restraint and kisses on cheeks without reason. I'm sure there are many who find it overly emotive but I would never stop it or even put a damper on it. My sibs,kids, in laws and even friends are huggers and kissers. My 23 yr old difficult child still gives big hugs with kisses on the cheek. easy child's friends hug me and give me kisses. I can't seem to stop them. LOL. :slap: It's actually lovely. Our family would definitely put your teeth on edge. Just another spin on physical affection. </div></div>

I'm not talking about friends and family, it's more about acquaintances or practically strangers. People used to shake hands, but now they hug... it doesn't seem right to hug someone you barely know. :hammer: Friends & family, now that's different! :thumb: All of Duckie's friends at school run up and hug me. They practically stampede me! :rofl: But that's okay because there is genuine affection there on all sides. :smile:

I have to agree with being a grammar Nazi. For me, I cringe when I hear:

libary
punkin
me and John are going to the store
yeah, I seen it

:grrr:

You know what else makes me cringe (actually sick)? Gas prices.

$63.00 to fill my car yesterday. And I already had a quarter tank. I have a plain old Caravan. I almost passed out.

:smile:

busywend

OK, this actually has made my cry before.

<u>When I see little kids NOT in car restraints. </u>

Oh it just breaks my heart that the adult in the car (may not be the parent) has so little regard for that little life. I am tearing up right now just thinking about it. If I see it now and then in my town - I know it is going on all over the place and it is my BIGGEST cringing moment. I have seen them loose in the back seat, sitting on the lap of a parent - and worst is when they are sitting on the lap of the person in the front seat.

If you are guilty of this - please know I am not judging anyone. But, I BEG you to put your children in the appropriate car restraints. It is sooo important to their safety.

Well, the thing that just drives me nuts is that everything we hear in the media seems calculated to scare us to death. I get it that we can just turn it off ~ but the continual barrage of doom and gloom ~ with never an acknowledgment of the wonder of what we are accomplishing, or of the courage it takes just to get ourselves out there every morning, bugs me no end. For instance, we all hear about the thousands of acres burned in the fires, or the devastation wrought by hurricanes (or just recently, the announcement that hurricane season starts June 1st ~ like it's a television series or something!)

Where was I?

Oh, yeah ~ but we never hear a thing about the courage of the people fighting the fires, or the complexity of managing an evacuation and recovery, or any of the good, solid advances made in medical treatment and blah blah blah ~ you get the idea.

Everything is done to elicicit that fear response (or, our interest is piqued by triggering a sexual response ~ what does a beautiful woman have to do with selling a car!)

And it bugs me no end that portraying people as stupid is supposed to be funny.

All these things encourage a sense of hopelessness.

And those ads for prescription drugs ~ especially that one that warns the male with ED that an emergency room visit may be required if the drug's effects last more than five hours.

Oh, man!

Ahem.

I feel better, now.

Barbara

On_Call

I am laughing and laughing and laughing. You all are funny!

Phrases that people use seem to make me a little crazy. husband used to use the phrase "burnt out" on a daily basis and it drove me nuts. For one thing, at the time he had a cushy job where he did nothing all day - then came home and parked it on the couch. Since he is now medically retired from the military and due to benefits and insurance cannot work (but still gets paid ) he is home all the time and does actually do more than his fair share around the house. But, I finally had to tell him how much I hated "burnt out". We laugh about it now, but only because he NEVER uses the phrase anymore.

My sister has angered me before too when I am telling her about decisions husband and I have made concerning difficult child. She will say things such as "well, we have to do what we have to do for difficult child". I'm like "WE?" - who is this we? I love you, but you are not part of the decision-making "we" involved here. EEK!

So, I guess I would have to put myself in the sensitive category, but I can't help it.

Speaking of shirtless individuals, I was waiting in McD's drivethru the other day for my lifesaving diet coke when a 'gentlemen' came out of the restaurant with a Gold's Gym half-shirt on - gut hanging amply over his jeans. I just thought "REALLY??". lol

Not a prude, but come on!

Oh, almost forgot. easy child has a habit of copying and mimicking her friends. Drives me nuts. If she spends any amount of time at all with a girlfriend, she laughs like them, talks like them, whines like them - even has some of their facial expressions. I remind her to be herself.

Wow, guess I shouldn't have gotten started! Jeesh!

muttmeister

Donna-I am not a touchy-feely person either. I understand about the person who comes squealing and hugging. I used to have a cousin like that. After I "accidentally" stomped on her foot a few times when she ran up to me, she stopped.

Also, the news thing rang a bell. I cringe when I turn on the NEWS and, instead, hear a report about Paris Hilton or Bradgelina or somebody on American Idol. We are in the middle of a war, the middle class is disappearing, gas prices are bankrupting people, health care is out of reach for a lot of us, global warming is getting worse, and yet the newscasters seem to spend most of their time on stupid stuff like when the spent a month speculating about, "Who is the father of Anna Nicole's baby?" Personally I don't give a rat's patootie. I guess that is something that does make me cringe.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Wow, all of the above! I hate "we're pregnant" - makes me want to gag. And my exh used to say he was babysitting on the almost non-existent times he ever took our girls for more than 5 minutes at a time! I wanted to kill him with his own shotguns.

The term "knocked-up" doesn't really bother me if someone is just speaking and it's said as a joke in casual conversation. However, the movie title does offend me - it's so crass and rude, especially considering that the couple apparently try to make an honest to goodness go of it. Ugh.

I, too, am a grammer nazi. After spending a day out on the jobsite with laborers, H will often come home and relate a story about his day to me. To my horror, he will sometimes use poor English and/or grammer and I have to bite my tongue not to correct him. He hates when I correct him. I recall my dds bringing home written papers from school with an A or B across the top. Yet, when I read through it, there were many grammatical and spelling errors throughout! I once took a red pen to a paper, marked all the errors and brought it with me to a parent teacher conference. I demanded to know why spelling and grammer errors were being overlooked. The teacher responded, (are you ready for this?), "We're more interested in content than quality at this stage". She said this with a straight face!! I responded to her, "How can you tell what the content is when the quality is so poor?" and left. From that point forward, my dds had to show me their papers before handing them in so I could check the grammer and spelling and teach them how to edit properly. Ugh - that really drove me nuts. And these are our well paid teachers of middle school! Jeesh.

I really hate derogatory terms such as "niXXer" and "B!tch", among others. It really makes my skin crawl when people refer to their friends with those terms. I also really cannot tolerate songs on the radio with blatent sexuality and screaming girls about how they want to do it and they will be there all night long waiting to get it....yech. I just imagine them in a studio writhing all over the floor waiting for it and it makes me sick to my stomach.

And near the very top of my list are litterbugs. I sometimes have to fight the urge to chase down a car whose occupants carelessly toss their trash out the window. I just think that is disgusting and gross. I wish I were the trash police because I'd just love to give them HUGE tickets.

Have a nice day. Donna, you are funny!

OK, I totally ***CRINGE*** when I see a nice looking young man with his pants hiked down so far that he was to walk bull legged just to keep them on!! Just saw this last evening and I wanted husband to pull the car over so I could just yank this kid's pants the rest of the way down! LOL!! I warned easy child 2 if I EVER saw him or any of his buddies wearing their pants like that I would yank them off!! He, to this day, has NEVER "sagged"! Thank God!!

The "we're pregnant" has always driven me crazy. I wish husband had been able to carry one of our children, think it would have given him a new view on Motherhood!!! The father babysitting his own kids erks me as well.

Great topic! Love to get the blood boiling first thing in the morning, LOL!!

Hugs,
Vickie

rejectedmom

I absolutely hate when men/boys wear a hat inside a house or resturant. If they wear it at the dinner table I absolutley have a ruined dining experience! I do not allow this in my home and have asked both of my sons in law and sons to remove them in the past. -RM

CCRidr2

Sheena-Warrior Momma
The new pregnancy test commercial makes me CRINGE!

"The most important thing you'll ever [announcer clears throat] on." :surprise:

While the WHOLE screen is taken up by the test stick with a flow of water over it!

YUCK /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

And what's worse is that they don't wait till after primetime to show it! It makes all of us in this house turn the channel!

People who use the f-word every other word.

"Gangsta" rap.

People who think it is funny and sophisticated to mock or denigrate religious people.

Martie

Well,

I think this topic has been covered thoroughly :smile:

Saying "It sucks," sucks--opps--it's contagious. It's really gross. I have had students say it in class and I can't send them to the office :hammer:

I also do not want to see anyone's thong. I'm not too crazy about underwear as outer wear. Dirty bra staps are not a fashion accessory.

To get to the heart of the matter, however, I am the GRAMMAR POLICE--and you really don't want to get me started, the list is too long...English is no longer spoken by many kids for whom it is their first language. I have international students who use better grammar because they studied it. Who did this? I don't know but it cheapens the culture... :nonono:

I feel so much better....LOL :kisses:

Martie

'Chelle

What makes me cringe are people spitting (or I'd have to say men as I've never seen a woman do it) in public. I can't even watch baseball players do it. I don't know where they learned that it's fine to just spit on the ground in public. It's not an everyday occurence or anything, but if it happens I find it fairly disgusting. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

I too was a bit shocked at the movie title "Knocked up". It's probably why they decided to call it that.

Kathy813

Staff member
Martie,

I have corrected students that said "sucks" in my classroom only to be met with genuine surprise that I considered it inappropriate.

It has become so commonplace in our society that I don't think the younger generation even considers it a cuss word.

I think that the same thing has happened with "knocked up." It's become more of a slang term than it was in our generation.

The times they are a'changing. . . doesn't mean I like it though. :mad:

~Kathy