Amazing difference in attitude when he sleeps the hours he wants to!

I

indeeptrouble

It's certainly not a cure, by any means. But I've been letting difficult child sleep the hours he wants to - he stays up all night long and sleeps most of the day. Amazing how much calmer it is around here now! He just plays games on the computer at night/watches movies, etc. Leaves lights on all over the house, but it's worth it to have the peaceful daytime! :)

Andy

My 13 yr difficult child also needs lots of sleep. If he gets less than 9 hours than we can really see his mannerisms turn negative. It is to the point that if he starts getting ornery, that is the first thing we look at - how much sleep are you getting?

My Diva is the daytime sleeper. It is very hard for me to accept since I was a morning person (not so much as the kids get older). However, as you say, life is so much more peaceful when we drop that paticular battle.

I hope getting him back to a school schedule will not be too overly hard for you come fall.

susiestar

Roll With It
Is it because he is following his natural sleep/wake cycle or because there are no demands on him when you are asleep? Would he do a list of chores if you left one and told him you needed him to complete it?

Just curious.

Years ago there was a study that showed that grades came up substantially when high school students started their day later than normal. Interestingly enough the high school we lived near changed so that students had a first class starting at 7:10 am (not a typo!). The dropout rate rose substantially that year and so did the number of kids who flunked classes, esp the early morning ones.

I have always wondered what would happen if students started school around 10 am in high school. I know MY grades would have been better!

Last edited:

LittleDudesMom

I must say that my difficult child has a similar summer schedule in that he does stay up late and loves to sleep in. But, I give him the first week of summer as a "free" week - meaning he sets his schedule - he can stay up as late as he wants and get up as late as wants. After that, we use the weekend rule. He can do the same on the summer weekends - but during the week there have to be some boundaries. He does have chores and things he needs to help me with daily. He still stays up later than I, but not all night.....I don't want him to get his days and nights confused because it will take a couple weeks to get him trained back when school starts!

Summer has always been so much smoother around here. So many less demands and anxiety. I love summer!

Sharon

P

PatriotsGirl

This makes me laugh because my husband will complain about the kids sleeping all day and being up all night - but he isn't the one working from home! I told him I have peace when they sleep all day and I am sleeping while they are awake all night - works for me!!!! :D

There is no question in my mind that teens are on a different sleep cycle than small children , adults, and the elderly as well. We've always allowed both easy child and difficult child to sleep their natural cycle when they aren't on a particular work/school schedule. However, when work and school call - well, work and school call. Interestingly, they both independently slowly gear their sleep cycles around a few weeks before school starts. Our local high school changed their time schedule three years ago, and it has worked wonders. Students start their school day at 8:30AM. I think that 9:00AM would be better, but I guess working parents would complain too much about that time.

difficult child has worked his next semester schedule so he doesn't have to be in class until 9:30, which is perfect for him. This summer, though, he has to be at work at 8:45.... so no late sleeping for him!

Valerie

TerryJ2

Hi Indeeptrouble, welcome.
Yes, everyone needs sleep. However, people with-bipolar and Asperger's/Autism need it more, because their coping skills are crummy to begin with, not to mention their social skills.
How are you going to handle this when school starts?