Amazing psychological scenario on murderer mom

slsh

member since 1999
Tragic event, interesting article on the pathology, but that Pat Brown woman (and I checked - she is a woman) is, in my humble opinion, an idiot: "Most women who suffer depression after their children are born are suffering from post-how-did-I-get-stuck-with-this-kid, this body, this life?" I wonder how many children she's given birth to.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Haven't even read the article yet, but SLSH's point about the quote I cannot agree with more! The depression postpartum has nothing to do with regret or resentment! It's hormonally based and you cannot broadly apply one person's experience to all cases! That's just ridiculous. In my first experience with PPD, it had more to do with PTSD than anything. With my second experience, it had everything to do with being overwhelmed by the demands on me at the time coupled with hormonal shifts. I regretted nothing. I resented nothing.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
If I had to guess, I'd say the mom is severely depressed, has impulse control issues, poor coping skills, and has been living in a very stressful environment with little support of any type. Not saying it justifies a single thing, but could explain how she snapped. I think she needs to be punished, but she also needs a shot at some serious help. There's another child still in the picture. Giving mom the death penalty or locking her up for life only makes that child a victim again in my opinion.

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Looks like they're edited it since you posted that link and others read it; there's a note at the bottom that says they removed the comments from a profiler about post-partum depression. Interesting. Guess others thought she was an idiot as well!

DammitJanet

I have been hearing about this and watching this closely since it happened close to where I live. It has been on local and national news. I get really tired of the "expert panels" on HLN when they talk about how they just "know" that the person who did this crime had to have such and such a mental illness because they did something. 9 times out of 10 they blame it on borderline personality disorder. You cannot imagine how many phone calls I have made leaving messages that they cannot diagnosis someone from watching a crime report! LOL. JVM is the worst to me...everything is an addiction.

I honestly believe this poor mother did snap and kill the boys because she was overwhelmed. She wasnt a young mom either. She was 29 and having to live with her mother with 3 kids 5 and under. The talking heads kept saying that probably the grandmother was elderly and not working and having to take care of both her grandkids and the mother...well...not necessarily. The grandmother could well be my age! My oldest son is 29! I dont consider myself to be elderly...lol. Hello...Nancy Grace is older than me! She has two small kids! So saying that just because grandma is getting aggravated with momma (which I can understand) is gonna be the complete cause of this is idiocy. Grandma doesnt have to be this elderly old woman who cant manage to get around. Im thinking grandma probably wanted to detach and momma just had a bad day and the toddlers paid for it.

klmno

You cannot imagine how many phone calls I have made leaving messages that they cannot diagnosis someone from watching a crime report!

I wish somebody would come up here and tell the MH evaluator at juvenile detention (and all those who believe her assessments) that!!

It probably is an easy habit to get caught up in, but I'm another who gets pretty annoyed when someone wants to call every problem they see one specific diagnosis.