American Idol Changes

SRL

I just read that they're changing the way the top 12 are chosen. Do you think David Cook would have made it to the top 12 had this system been in place last year? He didn't seem to stand out until a few episodes once the top 24 started. I could see it helping good singers who for some reason didn't get the vote one week.

Wikipedia:
However, the semifinals will see the biggest change as the Wild Card round returns for the first time since Season 3. Also, there will be 36 semi-finalists picked instead of 24. They will be divided into 3 groups of 12. The groups of 12 will perform on Tuesday. At the conclusion of each results show on Wednesday, the male and female semifinalists who received the highest number of home viewers votes for their previous night's performance will instantly become a Top 12 finalist. In addition, another semifinalist that had received the next-highest number of votes after the performance episode — regardless of gender — will also become a finalist. In the wild card round, the next highest finishers plus other eliminated semi-finalists will return for one more chance to compete. The judges will pick the 3 performers left that they consider the best. No voting by the public will be done at this stage

DammitJanet

Ok.....this has me all confused!

So...tonite they pick 36 right? Then next tuesday all 36 will sing but they will sing in groups of 12? Or will it be each Tuesday a different set of 12 will sing?

But then....we vote for the top girl and boy out of each set of 12. Or just vote for the top girl and boy all together out of 36? Then....oh gosh I am confused!

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Yeah- I'm with Janet, my eyes started glazing over just reading that description. :rofl:

by the way, I love David Cook's cd and listen to it all the time.

And over the weekend I bought Kelly Clarkson's latest cd and, even though I've always been a fervent fan, I give it a resounding :thumbsdown:

Suz

DammitJanet

Maybe we will understand it a bit better after tonites show. One can hope cant we? LOL.

Speaking of contestants...Can you believe that Norman guy? I think he is hilarious but I cant believe he keeps making it through the rounds.

SRL

I think it means that the next three Tuesdays groups of 12 will square off. One top male and one top female will be picked from each group by voters, plus the next top vote getter regardless of gender. Voters will choose 9 of the top 12 this way.

The following week the leftovers do a wildcard round and judges (only) pick the final 3 to complete the top 12.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Good grief....can they drag this out any longer? sheesh.

I hope someone provides Tatiana with a gag for all times when she isn't singing...and I also hope she doesn't make it past these next rounds.

I think the rest of my favorites made it. :D

Suz

SRL

Tatiana, Nathaniel, and Nick were three that went through that left me scratching my head, as did they're putting though all the singers who forgot lyrics.

How they stack those groups of 12 is really going sway the outcome.

DDD

I'm turning into a "grumpy old thing", I guess. Some of the choices seem flat out inappropriate to me. Who in the name of heavens would vote for Tatiana even if she has the best voice in the world because obviously she has issues that would make her a potential source of embarrassment? Who can imagine that the "funny guy" could be a dependable singing star? in my humble opinion I think including the young blind man is a publicity stunt. He does have a pleasant voice, he is musical and he is attractive and pleasant BUT it is impossible to imagine that he would be able to particpate in the "song and dance" productions that are presented to finalist in a fast forward way. Furthermore, if he were to be chosen as the A.I. he would be in ever-changing environments which would be stressful...and...(yes, I know this is morose) he would be endangered in this weird world of stalkers etc.

One last "grumpy" thing, lol, "don't hold back DDD". I found the cutsey playacting by the Judges last night down right irritating. It's one thing to "pretend" with the masses that one of them might not make it and then surprise! tell them they are moving on. on the other hand, it was almost every single time last night that the Judges did the game play. I'm the only one that found that inappropriate??

Vent over. Back to work. ;) DDD

SRL

Rant on, DDD!

I think some of the choices they've made were done deliberately to stir up controversy. The whole Joanna thing (the one with loads of profressional experience coming in). She admits to forgetting all her lyrics during Hollywood week but they put her through last night anyway and then after it's announced that she's been evicted due to previous connections with 19's record label.

Just like stacking a lot of the strongest male talent into one group--it's all about generating audience emotion.

DammitJanet

Oh gosh....I almost choked when they put Nick/Norman through...!!! This isnt that Comedy Club thing. I think he would have been great on that show. Tatiana just makes me want to strangle her. I cant stand that screaming and carrying on. She sounds like an infant.

I am thrilled that the two "blue collar" guys made it through. Also Anoop from NC. I dont know that any of the girls have made that big of an impression on me unless its that little girl who has a baby and had pink highlights in her hair.

I hope this way of voting works well. I am still unsure of how it is going but I know at least one of my picks is next week...lol.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
What a crock this is! I'm cranky right along with you D3. sheesh!

With this 12, I'm rooting for Danny (widower), Michael (roughneck)....Anoop or Alexis (pink highlight) are tied for my 3rd.

I should probably stop watching until they get down to the final 12 because I know I'm going to be really ticked by the time this is all over.

Suz

DammitJanet

Suz....you and I like the same people...lol. I love the stories behind the people. Danny's story just broke my heart. I love the roughneck. He reminds me of my Tony. Kinda looks like him and sounds like him. About the same size as Tony too. Just a whole lot younger...lol.

Lothlorien

If Tatiana makes it through, I will positively scream! If I have to hear her cry and fall apart or scream and laugh again, I will not watch until she's gone. Who really acts like that???? Did you see the look on the contestants' faces when she came down and said she made it?

I hope Danny & Anoop make it through. I'd like to see Michael Carver, too, but I doubt that all three will be males.

SRL

It really has diminished the professionalism aspect of the show to see people like Tatiana and Nick/Norman make it through. He should have been redirected to whatever that other entertainment contest is...you know, the one the fabulous ventriloquist won a few years ago.

I like Danny too but Anoop really appeals to my geeky former physics teacher side. The fact that he didn't listen to his friend's urging to audition for idol until after he'd finished his degree and that he's been busy going about the business of entertaining on college campuses instead of knocking on record producer's doors trying to drum up business sweetens the deal.

Plus (warning: cougar comment ahead) I think he's darn cute. Young enough to be my son, but cute nonetheless. ;-)

It's going to be tough for those guys this first round. Idol surely did it to stack in the viewers and callers the first night of voting.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm hoping that if one of the 3 guys who are so good don't make it in this first round, that they will get picked up as a wild card vote by the judges.

Suz