American Idol Finale

DammitJanet

What a show!

I thought it was wonderful. I couldnt believe all the stars they brought back...loved seeing them. Even Alice Cooper..lol. Boy, is Joe Cocker old!

I couldnt believe how well Bret Michaels looked and performed with Casey James. Just like the old Bret. You would never know he had been ill. What a week for him- Sunday he wins Celebrity Apprentice and Wednesday night he is perfoming on American Idol!

The whole tribute to Simon was touching. Bringing on all the former winning Idols and runner's up was so touching. I really thought he was going to cry. I had a tear or two.

I was pleased with the choice. Actually either of the contestants would have been fine with me. They were both good. I didnt like the song they chose for Crystal to sing so that might have been the deciding factor. Lee's song was better.

Oh well...guess we have a bit over 6 months to find out who will be the next judge for American Idol!

M

ML

I too thought it was great and was ok with either choice. Manster, however, was p'd! He always prefers the ladies. Last year he cried when Allison got the boot lol.

Last edited:

Fran

Former desparate mom
You are kind Janet. I thought the show was over the top extravaganza of oldsters who didn't sing very well. It was embarrassing to hear them sing. Lee was even better than Michael McDonald and Lee is pretty often off key.
I did wonder if it was the accoustics or the sound system. Even Janet Jackson sounded weak. She looked gorgeous, bootie and all. Giving the winner about 3 min to sing for a 2 hr show seemed sort of strange. Next time, I'll tune in the last 10 min.

I was disappointed the better musician didn't win but I don't vote so I have no right to complain.
I will miss Simon. I thought he was honest and direct which struggling muscians need to hear in order to improve. He didn't always say it tactfully but he did seem to understand the music business. I didn't get the whole Paula Abdul thing. Did they like each other or didn't they? Was it all a stunt that Paula was upset with him? I didn't get it.

SRL

You are kind Janet. I thought the show was over the top extravaganza of oldsters who didn't sing very well. It was embarrassing to hear them sing. Lee was even better than Michael McDonald and Lee is pretty often off key.
I did wonder if it was the accoustics or the sound system. Even Janet Jackson sounded weak. She looked gorgeous, bootie and all. Giving the winner about 3 min to sing for a 2 hr show seemed sort of strange. Next time, I'll tune in the last 10 min.

I'm with you. I thought it was a really strange night. They constantly harp on the kids about being relevant and then roll out the old dudes for the finale.

The Janet Jackson thing was weird. Admittedly it was more energetic than anything else we saw but her channeling Michael was a little creepy.

I think Paula and Simon are sort of love-hate. It was odd and uncomfortable to watch.

DammitJanet

Im 70's fanatic so for me to see them in person is a treat. I know Im not the same person who went to see them all those years ago so I dont expect them to be either.

I have no clue about the Jackson thing...that was beyond me too.

Paula confused me too. She seemed a bit confused herself. Simon looked like he almost died when she said something about a baby, did you notice that? Made me wonder if he thought it could possibly be true.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I was very disappointed in the show overall and was antsy until the end.

I was embarrassed for the old timers. Some of the Chicago guys could still sing but that's about it. I could barely hear Janet. The Bee Gees used to be one of my favorite groups and I wanted to run from the room screaming, they were so awful.

I don't consider Bret an old timer and thought he was terrific.

I liked both Crystal and Lee but Crystal was head and shoulders above him from a performance level. I was so impressed with her poise and ease on stage last night. Lee, on the other hand, looked terrified and sang off key at several points in every song.

sigh.

I know they will both do just fine but I really wanted her to get the title, too.

Suz

Nancy

I was hoping Crystal would win too. I'm wondering if they didn't give it to her because last time it went to an unconventional artist and this time they played safe. I do believe both will do well in their future singing careers.

Nancy

Lothlorien

I didn't care who won, but was sort of rooting for Lee. They are both really good and will do very well.

The Paula thing was strange and uncomfortable. WHAT was that baby comment all about???

Janet was good, but it was a little strange when she was sounding like Michael....I thought it was creepy too.

Christina Aguillera's song was boooooooring! She's got such a wonderful voice, but that song was terrible.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I'm wondering if they didn't give it to her because last time it went to an unconventional artist and this time they played safe

Nancy, Adam came in 2nd (unconventional) and Kris Allen won last time. That was a pretty shocking result at the time, I think. It's easy to get that reversed because Adam has gotten a lot more attention than Kris since their round. You are right that other than Fantasia and Taylor Hicks, who were unique performers in their own ways, most of the time the "safe" performer wins.

I didn't even recognize Christina Aguilera last night- had to ask a friend who the heck she was. lol

And I agree about Paula, Loth. She is so awkward in speech and body motion that her part was somewhat embarrassing to watch. Whoever thought she'd be an effective stand-up comic should be fired.

Suz

Kathy813

Staff member
I stopped watching AI early this season. I really didn't care for the contestants this season and I didn't like the addition of Ellen as a judge. I was very surprised by this since I like her talk show but I just didn't feel like she added anything to the judging panel. I also missed the kooky interplay between Simon and Paula. Yes, she rarely made sense but that was part of the fun.

Something was just off with this season to me.

~Kathy