An absolute whirlwind!

Lil

I told her that the friend she was with was not good people to be around and that I would like her to head back to the house. This friend has a sister that is a meth addict. The friend works fulltime at a nursing home and is clean due to random drug testing BUT I don't like these people for obvious reasons. My Difficult Child says in response, Well her Mom is okay to which I just repeated my statement that I don't think she is making a good decision and I'd like her to head back home.

I guess it is not obvious to me. Was the sister around? Does she live in the home? Does the friend's mother have a problem with drugs or alcohol? Does the friend? I'd certainly be upset about her being with her friend's sister...but you can't judge the family by the behavior of one member. I mean, if you had another child, how would you feel if their friends dumped them because of your daughter? Would that be fair?

I guess what I'm saying is you can't keep her a prisoner. As long as the friend is clean and sober and working, what is your objection?

pasajes4

You can't control who her friends are. You can't control how she lives her life. You can control who lives in your house and under what conditions. You can control your wallet. the minute we start to define who our children should or should not hang out with the more desirable they become. Lecturing and admonishing a Difficult Child for ANYTHING is guaranteed to blow up in our faces.

Live YOUR life, and if necessary, seek counseling for you.

pasajes4

Liz, I have to agree with you. The friend is clean and sober. She is going to run into people who use drugs. It is your daughter who will decide to use or not use.

Echolette

Hmmm...well, let me start with the disclaimer that my Difficult Child is in jail now, and that all of my various contracts/management plans/support obviously were ineffective, so take this with a grain of salt.

But...I feel like it may not be fair to have rules hidden behind rules. You laid out some rules and she is following them. Going out with a friend who is clean to do something that she is paying for and she is not asking you to be her chauffeur all sounds pretty good!

It is OK to remind her about being sure to choose company that supports her goals.

But my own reaction is that you pulled out a hidden rule and then got in a fight with her over it.

How do you interact with her without a full blown panic attack?

Say..uh, Difficult Child, since you asked, I'm just thinking that hanging out with meth-addict sis does not fit with your goal of hanging with healthy people. But you are a grown up and I trust you to make the best decisions for yourself. Bye!

Then if she breaks any of the actual rules you agreed to, back to the street she goes.

On another day I might take a different stand and invoke the "no sketchy behavior" rule that the therapeutic boarding school we sent my Difficult Child to used...they got tired of all of the smart destructive boys finding ways around the rules (you never said there was a rule against dismembering roommates! How was I supposed to know!), so they had a rule that sketchy behavior was not tolerated. I kind of like that rule, and as a general rule if I invoked it Difficult Child tended to agree that what I thought was sketchy was indeed sketchy.

However, I repeat, he is in jail, so obviously my approaches were in effective!

Difficult Child's twin sister, who was quite the smart challenging risk taking smart mouthed Difficult Child herself for a while (did I tell you about how she was expelled from her extraordinarily selective superb and FREE magnet school because she brought vodka to the class picnic in a water bottle? IN 8TH GRADE??? but I digress....), is now a totally fabulous 21 year old, about to graduate from college, has three job offers in a field she loves, and is moving to yet another state with her equally nice and employed college grad boyfriend. She no longer uses drugs of any kind, although she drinks some and smokes cigarettes to my distress. But she is honest, diligent, kind, and respectful. She says it was a turning point for her when I started responding to her questions and attempts at trickery by saying "yes, go ahead, I trust your judgment". She said she was actually totally freaked out..."what???MOM TRUSTS MY JUDGMENT???? I better think about this again if she isn't going to keep me safe by refusing..."

I started doing that the summer before she went to college 2000 miles away, since I figured in a few short weeks I would have no idea what she was doing and would have to...trust her judgment.

I think that all worked out because at heart she is not a truly messed up Difficult Child.

If they are truly messed up Difficult Child's nothing you do will make any difference.

So either way...you can say...you know the rules, I trust you.

And things will play out as they must.

Good luck.

She sounds a bit bratty but overall doing quite well. That is pretty normal for an 18 year old girl living at home.

Hugs

Echo

Jabberwockey

On another day I might take a different stand and invoke the "no sketchy behavior" rule that the therapeutic boarding school we sent my Difficult Child to used...they got tired of all of the smart destructive boys finding ways around the rules (you never said there was a rule against dismembering roommates! How was I supposed to know!), so they had a rule that sketchy behavior was not tolerated. I kind of like that rule, and as a general rule if I invoked it Difficult Child tended to agree that what I thought was sketchy was indeed sketchy.

Hehehe! The old Corrections standby, Safety and Security of the Institution aka the "no sketchy behavior" clause!

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Well first and foremost you and your husband have to be on the same page, you have to be a united front. If she gets the smallest inkling that you both do not agree 100% she will use it against you.

My suggestion is you and your husband discuss what your boundaries with her are. Write them down, then together go over them with your daughter. What is the time frame for her to live in your home?
Are you charging her rent? (I would even if it's only $100 per month) She should not be allowed to live there rent free. If she argues that she "helps" around the house I would explain that is part of the deal of living there. What are your house rules; what time is the house locked up for the night - everybody must be in. Groceries, is she buying her own? Make the boudnaries and expectations clear to her.

You are affording her a priveledge to live in your home. It is your home and your rules. It does sound like she is trying which is good but there has to be some structure and time frames set in place. You need to send her a clear message that you are helping her but that at some point she needs to be doing for herself.

I'm sorry, tanning???? She needs to be saving her money with the goal of moving out and getting her own place to live. Does she know how to budget? Dave Ramsey offers some very good advice and tips. The envelope system is a great way to start and learn how to budget. Here's a link.
http://www.daveramsey.com/blog/envelope-system-explained
If it were me, one of the rules would be that you and husband hold the envelopes. This does not mean that she cannot have some spending money but she needs to get her priorities stratight.

Hanging up on you is not acceptable and you need to tell her that.
I would remind her that you are giving her another chance even though you don't have to.

I know how much time and energy it takes but you and husband really need to be on the same page and clearly lay out your rules and boundaries. You need to have and be prepared to follow through on consequences. If that means she has to move out then so be it. She is 18, yes she's young but she needs to start taking care of herself.

((HUGS)) to you............

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
How do you interact with her without a full blown panic attack?

Say..uh, Difficult Child, since you asked, I'm just thinking that hanging out with meth-addict sis does not fit with your goal of hanging with healthy people. But you are a grown up and I trust you to make the best decisions for yourself. Bye!

Perfect!! Well said @Echolette

Childofmine

one day at a time
Great advice here WearyMom. I know you are scared and reacting and that's what we do.

Your daughter has been making progress. Don't borrow trouble. Trouble will find you soon enough if it wants to find out.

Right now, take a deep breath, get busy on something for YOU (not her), and take it easy a little bit. Let things play out.

They can either go well or just okay or south. Time will tell. Don't try to control those things you cannot control. We can't shadow people 24/7. We can only decide what is best for us, our rules, our house, our deal. Outside of that, we can't know and don't need to know.

Warm hugs. We're here of you. One day at a time. Just one, not the next 100.