And A 10 Minute Time Out Turns Into...

Janna

a nightmare of video taping.

Rule - name calling or threats (threats, of course, really only applies to D, but it's in place for everyone) is a 10 minute time out. Been that way for, ohh....10 years?

So, yesterday, J throws a bad name D's way. I walk over, take his PSP out of his hand, he goes to the table, timer on, does his 10 minutes, walks away, gets his PSP. NORMAL behavior.

Hours later, D throws an inappropriate comment B's way. Ok, 10 minute time out. Crying starts. "No I don't have to". He's sitting on the recliner, beating the recliner into the wall, getting more and more agitated. I take his PSP out of his hand and gently remind him that tantrums lead to NO privelages for the rest of the day (it's about 2:30 PM now). I walk away, let him cry, and it escalates (duh, of course!). Bookshelf broken, 100 books all over the floor, pencils broken into a million pieces, slamming the recliner, kicking feet, every curse word you can imagine. I grab the video camera, he slams his head into the wall shortly thereafter, screaming, cursing continues.

We take turns (SO and I) watching. He's in the family room, so we're in the foyer, just watching. Making sure he's safe. Well, SO being there annoys him to no end, because he feels SO is "abusive" (that's a story for another day - everyone's abusive). He continues to cry, face in the carpet, until 5:30 (yes, really, 3 hours). We have eaten supper, table is clear, he chose not to get up and eat.

When all is said and done, he asks me if he can do his 10 minutes in HIS ROOM?! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG, 3 HOURS of tantruming to do 10 minutes in your ROOM? WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY didn't you just ask me that from the git? WTH????????

This kid is over the top. Seriously. We had all this stuff down, under control - things were fine, then all of a sudden - *wham*.

There is no thought process to the action. I swear if it wasn't for the fact that his IQ scores came in around 73 and he has some, occasional normalcy about him, I'd seriously consider him to be MR.

Touring Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) tomorrow. Hope they can figure out something.

Andy

Ugh big time! I am so sorry! That is one of my LARGEST pet peeves with my kids - Why oh why do they have to take ANYTHING that would take from 5 - 15 minutes and turn it into a several hour battle? Just do it and get it over with. What a waste of time and the ugly stress it puts onto everyone!

I hope today is better.

BusynMember

Janna, I'm so sorry. Maybe it's that "literal" Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) thing. Ya can't change that or teach them not to be literal. Maybe if you'd said, "10 minutes in YOUR room" it would have been all right. I know I have to explain everything to L. in a literal way.
Sending you good wishes and thoughts. Crossing fingers on Residential Treatment Facility (RTF).

LittleDudesMom

Janna,

what afternoon! You had high hopes for a quiet day yesterday. I don't think offering him the time out in his room would have had an effect at the time - there is no reason. Hope the tour gives you some confidence that this will be a positive step for D.

Sharon

TerryJ2

Oh, dear, how exhausting.
Yeah, isn't it something, how he asked, afterward, if he could do it in his rm? I wish we could get into their heads and figure out what is going on there, b4 the explosion!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Aww Janna,
What an awful afternoon for all of you. Such a frustrating experience. I hope the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) can figure something out. Many gentle hugs.