And again...more winter weather!

DammitJanet

Well I just dont know about this winter. I woke up today to see that our weather folks are calling for a winter storm warning for the deep south and the coastal Carolina areas. They are so over the place that they say we can get anywhere from a few inches to over a foot! They say some areas might get yucky ice with power outages. I am heading to the store in a little bit.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Stock up well Janet. Make sure you have an additional source for heating and plenty of fuel.

It only has to be a work day for us to have awful weather or a new storm or a new arctic front come down. Only once have we gotten one I think on the frimping weekend when it really wouldn't be much of a bother. ugh

We're at 8 degrees going down to at least -8 degrees and evidently they can't make up their minds on windchills. At least so far we've not gotten more snow.

Last night it oddly warmed up to a balmy 47 degrees...........just enough to make everything start melting (had a major storm on friday/sat) and now my drive and the alley is an ice rink. I don't think salt melts ice in 8 degrees. omg I may get out ok........just let the car roll down........but getting back IN tonight may be another story all together.

I am sick of winter. More than ready for spring. Even rain and a swampy back yard is sounding good right now. geez

tiredmommy

I'll be happy when it's over. Our temps are supposed to be dangerously cold again tonight. It's not easy on asthmatics.

BusynMember

School is closed today and Tuesday due to wind chills below 35F. I noticed that the neighborhood was still swarming and i was out today too. i think we just get used to it and life goes on, but I'm sure everyone is ready for at least a normal Wisconsin winter. This is way insane.

Mom2oddson

We are having the "Winter that wasn't" this year. January usually has 5" of rain. We've had 1 1/2" so far. The ski resorts don't have enough snow. They are already talking droughts for the spring and summer if things don't change soon. It's such a strange weather year. I'm glad we aren't having the cold like the rest of the country, but I miss my rain.

witzend

And it's been gorgeous! It's 63 degrees here right now, and they're forecasting snow in the afternoon tomorrow. At least, that's what I saw last. I called husband and told him that he had better plan to work from home tomorrow. He says he can't do that. I'm hoping the snow comes tonight, otherwise he is going to drive downtown tomorrow morning and get stuck there in the afternoon. Or worse yet get into an accident which we can't afford.

DammitJanet

Im pretty worried about Tony because he is working down in Charleston SC which is forecasting a "historic" amount of ice when this thing comes in. They have pretty much decided we are expecting 5 to 8 inches of snow over the next 36 hours. Thankfully this should be gone by the time Tony has to drive home the end of the week. He wont actually know what day he is coming home because if they have to miss today and tomorrow they have to make it up on Friday and Saturday. I am not so worried about me because I have brought in easy to cook food and we have wood in case the power goes down.

Everyone stay safe and warm

I can't believe this. The snow will start at midnight and last until 8am. We already lost our spring break-or we would have to go the week of June 23rd. We don't factor in snow days, we have to make them up! What does your school district do -those of you who had many snow days? I hope everyone is warm. It's so cold out!

DammitJanet

They factor in weather days here but we never know if they will be snow or hurricanes. However we have more this year than normal. Mostly they have closed schools here because of cold though. My school district, and those surrounding me, were closed today, tomorrow and I will be surprised if they open Thursday because we arent forecast to get over freezing until mid day Thursday.

Kathy813

Staff member
My school district builds in 3 snow days a year. Now we have used two of them so two days that we would have had off in February and March now are school days. Most years we don't even have to use them. Once in a while we use all three up and then they add days on to the end of the school year.

~Kathy

tiredmommy

Our schools were closed today due to severe wind chill. We received the call at 538AM.... ugh. Our districts are having a hard time making the call because NYS is having regents exams this week and there is no plan in place for students to take the test if schools are closed except at the next time they are offered... in June. So students either freeze at the bus stop (or walking) or they have to take a test 5 months after their class has ended. It's asinine.

slsh

member since 1999
Wanted to add... if you're in an area with really cold temps (*really* cold temps), be sure to get extra water. husband thought I was crazy with the last polar whatever-it's-called when I told him to pick up bottled water, but our village pipes are over 100 years old and they tend to burst when things warm up (warm being relative, LOL). Sure enough.... pipe burst down the street and we were without water for several hours. husband told me he appreciated my paranoia, LOL. I'm expecting another flood in the next couple days.

We don't have snow days. Ever. In 16 years in IL, I think we've had *maybe* 3 or 4. So far in 2014, 4 days called off, and that's at Diva's private HS where they are the last to call off, if they do (which they usually don't, much to her dismay!).

Last edited:

It's also important to keep yourself hydrated when it's really cold. I forgot the exact reason. I just woke up to a foot a snow, they haven't called about school. Most years, we don't have any snow days either. If we do, it's one or two. This is insane, we never get this much. How are the southern states faring?