And just for kicks....

flutterby

Fly away!
I've lost another filling. I haven't even had it a year.

Just got over the infection from the wisdom tooth extraction. It only took 10 days on 875mg amox for it to finally clear up. Just got done having 3 other fillings done. Or maybe 4. Can't remember.

I've had so much work done in my mouth it's not even funny. Root planing, 4 root canals, 5 crowns, numerous fillings and re-fillings cause they fall out, re-crowns cause even those break or just come off, etc, etc.

I use prescription toothpaste plus Sensodyne Pronamel in between, plus a fluoride rinse.

I have a cleaning Thursday. Wonder what else they'll find.

And I'm just flaring in a big way. Stick a fork in me, will ya?

DammitJanet

Im sorry.

That is why I refuse to do all the root canals and such. Not only do I not have the money for such work but the one time that I actually did one, it didnt work. Tooth ended up coming out anyway. Now they just get pulled. Eventually I will get partials then whole dentures.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have TERRIBLE teeth. I invested thousands into my teeth over the years. I won't do root canals any more--the teeth just wind up cracking or snapping off.

I finally couldn't take it anymore and had all my remaining upper teeth pulled. I wear an upper plate.

The lower jaw is a ticking timebomb: full of ancient dental work, bridges, etc. and the teeth there look horrid due to staining and worn away veneers and the like.

I am currently looking into having the lowers pulled as well. I sure and heck am not throwing massive amts of money at them.

The sad thing is that my remaining teeth look like I'm some stereotypical "hillbilly", but I do take care of them. It just doesn't work for me.

If you have defective enamel, especially if you are psychiatric medications (Depakote is a biggie for this)

You WILL develop oral health problems.

tiredmommy

{{{Hugs}}} I'm living the legacy of poor childhood dental hygiene so I understand. I'm also teeth grinder; do you think that could be happening to you? Search bruxism. If so... you can get a specially fitting mouth guard that will help.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
TM, I grind my teeth so badly that I do it when awake. I've actually damaged a lot of bone in the upper jaw by grinding my lower teeth into it.

It's an anxiety thing and I've done it since I was toddler

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The sad thing is that my remaining teeth look like I'm some stereotypical "hillbilly", but I do take care of them.

Mine too. My mouth is a ticking time bomb. I have one tooth that no longer has any enamel on it. Was just getting ready to start having some of the really bad ones pulled when husband lost his job. No insurance, no money to do it at the moment.

I won't do root canals anymore either. Doesn't do any good. So I just have them pulled when bad enough........I'll need a bridge soon on top in the front........and I'll have an upper plate before too long. My teeth literally crumble. It's awful. I can't have hardly any calcium in my diet due to one of my kidney disease.....and I'm sure that has some effect on it.

Shoot if my mother in law didn't always tell me how hard dentures made chewing........and I had the money, I'd probably tell them to just yank them all out and be done with it. lol Odd, my grandma ate everything she wanted with hers.......

If all your fillings are falling out something is causing it. Grinding.......maybe a dentist who makes extra profit by not doing them right in the first place...... LOL

((hugs))

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I think amalgam fillings (the "silver" ones) are supposed to last for five years or more. Old fillings do come out if there is additional decay under them. They often take a goodly hunk of remaining tooth with them when they go.

There's been a big stink about a lot of Medicaid dental clinics intentionally leaving decay behind when they fill teeth.

The tooth happily rots away under the filling and this gets you back into the chair to make these charlatains even more money.

Even worse, a lot of these dentists will pull milk teeth unnecessarily, which puts the kid through a lot of unnecessary trauma and can damage the adult structure of the mouth.

rejectedmom

sorry for you dental woes and the flares. I too am experiencing medical problems that have me in the Dr every two weeks. Not my idea of what I wanted my middle or golden years to be. I get up every morning and say tomyself "i'm Cured" Hoping my body will eventually believe me. It isn't buying it yet though LOL. Feel better and get your teeth fixed. It is a necessary evil. -RM

KTMom91

I'm sorry, Heather. Hubby has similar problems, bad fillings, missing teeth, etc. and the dentist wants the full co-pay amount upfront. We really don't have a spare fifteen hundred bucks to do this (who does?) so he's just hanging on.

Hope you get everything fixed and feeling better!

flutterby

Fly away!
It's not shady dentistry. I've had this happen all my life and the dentist I go to is in the office where my mom works. Plus my mom is an Expanded Functions Dental Assistant - meaning she can do fillings - so she would know. And this is a composite filling that came out, not amalgam.

It's from years and years of not making enough saliva, plus medications now that increase it - lisinopril, especially.

It doesn't help that it seems like most of the time I can only chew on one side or the other because of some new issue with my teeth. This filling came out on the side that I've been chewing on lately because of the wisdom tooth ordeal.

TM - I can't do the full mouth guard because my gag reflex is too bad. They do make a new one that just fits over just the front teeth, but my insurance doesn't cover it and it's around $400. I do clench like crazy - even during the day like GN - so it's probably something I'm going to have to invest in when I can get the money together.