.....and.......KABOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

keista

My DD1 was just taken for emergency treatment. Cops left the house, I threw up, comforted the other kids, and came to you all for my comfort.

She had been at a friend's all day, and forgot to check in around dinner time, so when she came home asking if she could spend the night, the answer was no. She started begging and pleading and WHINING like a 4 y/o (hasn't done that in, like, forever). I stayed firm, but she decided to leave anyway. I tried calling friend's mom, but no answer - not unusual so I waited for the return call. Once it didn't come, I went to collect my daughter.

So, I'm sure you can all guess that now she hates me, and I'm unfair, and why can't I just let her be free? She started yelling these things at the top of her lungs in the car so (here comes my stupid move) I pulled the car over and told her to be free. I was NOT expecting her to get out at this point, but she did, and started heading back to her friend's house. So I turned around and cut her off at the pass. I was waiting at friend's by the time she got there. Talked to mom and asked her to tell DD1 that her home was not an escape from conflict with me, that she had to straighten things out with me and then she'd be welcome back.

At this point, DD1 charged at me and kicked me in the shin, and then ran off back towards home. I gave her some time to get ahead and hopefully cool off, and then caught up to her. I offered a ride the rest of the way home and she graciously accepted, in tears, apologizing for not listening, and running off, and kicking me. Then she continued to apologize for being born and she should die, etc. by the time we got home she was complaining that her feet hurt that it felt like she stepped on glass (she was barefoot because she threw her shoes at me when I first went to collect her). So I told her we'd check her feet.

She beat me into the house and was waiting for me in the kitchen. That's where I perform all the "mom surgeries" because the lighting is the best. I told her to sit on the floor so i could check her feet. When she didn't' respond, I repeated myself, and then noticed the knife in her hand. (yeah, they WERE put away when she was having those 'creepy' episodes, but aside from extreme boredom and a few 'tantrums' she's been fine lately, so after vacation, the knives started coming out)

I told her to put it down. She refused and then brought it to her neck. The phone was right in front of me and I immediately dialed 911.

They came in less than 5 minutes. She had 'snapped' out of her threat before they showed up, but was still crying an yelling that she wanted to kill herself once they arrived. They took my statement, and my daughter. :crying:

H

HaoZi

*HUGS* hon. When do you expect to hear some word on their plans of how to help her?

keista

I just heard from the intake nurse. doctor will see her sometime in the morning. I can call in the morning, or wait for them to call me.

I don't think I'll be falling asleep at any reasonable hour tonight, so hopefully they'll call as I'm getting up in the morning.

Has anyone had a child fake being fine just to get out of the psychiatric hospital? That's my concern right now, although I don't really think she can pull it off. Getting her to talk to ANYONE about what's going on inside is one of our biggest problems.

TerryJ2

Oh, dear, I am so sorry. Too much drama. I hope that you do get some sleep tonight. No matter what. It's going to be a long day tomorrow.

H

HaoZi

Fake it to get out? Yes, many will and have. They also "honeymoon" quite often.

T

TeDo

What HaoZi said! It is VERY likely that she could pull it off. Either faking it OR honeymooning. I am so sorry you had to go through this. I hope you can get some sleep. She's in a safe place. I know how hard it is to stop the "instant replay" that always follows episodes like this along with the '"if only I'd" second guessing stuff. You did the right thing by sticking by what you said. Hopefully that message gets through to her.

Gentle {{{{(((HUGS)))}}}} to you. Pretzeling for the best!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Wow, so sorry about all the drama. I sure hope they hold her for a few days and that her psychiatrist is brougt in the loop. You did the right thing making that call for her.

(((Hugs)))

P

PatriotsGirl

My difficult child did when we had her taken in. I even found a note that she had from a boy that was in there that told her what to do and what to say in order to get out. She was only in for nine days. Didn't help one iota.

I am so sorry you went through that! I pray the docs see through anything and she gets some help!

lovemysons

Dear Keista...
((((Hugs))))

Your situation with your daughter brought back memories of my oldest difficult child involved in a similar incident.
Our son was told to leave our room (when he insisted on getting his way about something)...he refused.
husband got out of bed and THEN oldest difficult child left the room, ran downstairs to the kitchen (I heard the drawer open). He grabbed a butcher knife and headed out the back door. husband ran after him and I called the police. The police finally found him in a field across the street. He HAD cut himself numerous times (still has the scars).
He was refusing to put the knife down (as ordered by police). He was ALMOST shot that night! It was very scary...and very disturbing for everyone in our house.
Oldest difficult child stayed in the hospital that time around 2 weeks. He was only placed on ADHD medications.

I am glad you called the police and sent a firm messege that threats against self or others will not be handled lightly.
I am thinking about you this morning as I can imagine the trauma you experienced last night and the fears and heartache you must be experiencing now.

Prayer that your daughter will get the help she needs and prayers for you as well.
LMS

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Oh, sweetheart. HUGS, more hugs... I have been in that exact place... Onyxx was tx'd to psychiatric hospital after she attacked husband and then the cops saw where she had been cutting herself... psychiatric hospital wouldn't keep her, she "wasn't a threat to herself". Bovine manure. Sounds like yours is at least a tad better. It's so hard. Please, please, push them... because she had already "snapped out of it", she WILL be "fine" today. Don't let them tell you that! She clearly needs help, and you are going to have to push HARD to get it.

In the meantime, we're here for you.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I hope you got some sleep, keista. Yes, kt has "talked" her way out of the hospital. She only managed this once when I forgot to take my parent report binder in with me at admit time.

Putting together a parent report with all things difficult child is very important at times like these. I keep my 6 inch binder with all things kt (wm) at my desk. I grab that along with all of kt's medications when I head to the ER.

Crossing all body parts that difficult child is admitted for stablization.

keista

Thanks everyone. I did manage to sleep, albeit restlessly. Didn't help that the shuttle landed around 6 am - the double sonic boom shakes the whole house.

I'm not REALLY concerned about her faking it, I think it's just Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) thinking on my part because I'm not really sure what else to think of right now. She's got Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) along with STRANGER anxiety, so more realistically, she'll shut down and not say a word to them. Intentionally pushing buttons in a family therapy session wouldn't work because she doesn't have buttons (at least that I know of) She is essentially a easy child - more often than not (yes, really). Although she's only 10, her body is that of a 12-13 y/o, so typical teen hormones and thought patterns, and behavior are emerging.

A different intake nurse called late last night to 'clarify' her allergies. The first one put SSRI's on that line with no explanation, so I started telling this second nurse about our experiences with Prozac and Paxil, and she cut me off and said, I'll just put it in ALL CAPs to avoid SSRIs, OK?

So yeah, I'm hoping the keep her for at least 2......

Just got a call from the social worker. She thinks that they'll only keep her til tomorrow, but possibly release today. UHG. However, she hasn't seen the psychiatrist there yet (they had a LOT of admissions this morning)

You would THINK that they'd contact her psychiatrist, especially considering that the stabilization unit and the clinic the psychiatrist is in is all ONE organization, but NOPE.

a HUGE THANK YOU to EVERYONE who urged me to call 911 back when I was dealing with those "creepy" episodes. I still believe it was NOT the right thing then, but this time it was, and your constant reminder of it kept me from freezing up last night and made me make that call INSTANTLY. This was indeed so entirely different than those episodes.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
If they aren't contacting her psychiatrist, I think you should initiate that call asap and get him/her in the loop.