And Mr Para/Teacher goes poof.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Not there this morning.

SpEd Teacher doesn't know where he is or if he's coming back today or ever.

Lord help me, I hope the attorney calls me back soon.

Their own FBA says he doesn't handle transition well...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Emailed the principal to ask if he was coming back.

He reply says that she and sped teacher agreed they should try without mr para/teacher.

Funny.

Cause at 8, sped teacher was asking me if I knew what the plan was. Also, since mr para/teacher wasn't in the building, would seem to me that someone had already decided he wasn't coming.

slsh

member since 1999
So they finally hit on something that works and Ms. Principal deep sixes that in a heartbeat. While stating that continued threat of police involvement is appropriate for a 2nd grader? Do I have this right?

She's really really good - I mean that sincerely. It's unfortunate for you and Wee, but when a SD hires an administrator and the goal is to cut costs... she's absolutely the go-to girl. She's balancing (quite well) on retaliatory behaviors in my opinion - nothing you could prove in court, but it sure does appear that her goal is to get rid of Wee by any means possible, as long as it doesn't cost SD. She really needs to be reminded that SD still has to foot Wee's educational costs unless (until?) he's incarcerated as an adult.

This woman is good. If atty doesn't call you back, you need to call him/her. Ms. Principal is really setting the stage for a massive disaster. In my opinion.

TiredSoul

Warrior Mom since 2007
Emailed the principal to ask if he was coming back.

He reply says that she and sped teacher agreed they should try without mr para/teacher.

Funny.

Cause at 8, sped teacher was asking me if I knew what the plan was. Also, since mr para/teacher wasn't in the building, would seem to me that someone had already decided he wasn't coming.

I say, call her on that in writing with a copy to the higher ups. She is lying and she should be caught in her lie.

whatamess

Oh no! That is terrible! A real person who seemed to 'get' Wee and now that support is gone?! That is definitely someone setting Wee up for a big fall. I would be writing emails that talk about how well Mr. para/teacher has been working with Wee, working through and even preventing behaviors.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I'm not so sure, slsh, that I can't get her on retaliation. At least within the district. She didn't turn Wee in for the first incident. The second, she did...for spitting. Which, in her own handbook, doesn't even require referral to the office.

I don't want to jump to conclusions and say that Mr Para/Teacher was working. But things had gone well since his arrival on the scene, and I was told it was to buy time til the FBA was going. FBA observation isn't going to happen until Thursday, and 4 days might be enuf time to say its not working, but it seemed to be working. Why not continue with it?

I will be calling attorney and super. If the paras were put back in place and sped teacher was out til now, who conducted that additional training via roundtable discussion on what could have been done to prevent those incidents????

whatamess

Does Wee have a 1:1 aide? If Mr. Para/Teacher was working 1:1 with Wee and there was success, the district is likely thinking- this is going to be evidence of a need to hire 1:1 for Wee- which is expensive of course!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yes, Wee is assigned a 1:1.

Up until last week, it had been para-professionals in that role. Last week, in response to 2 incidents in which the paras did not follow the IEP, the superintendent of the district pulled in Mr Para/Teacher to be Wee's sole 1:1. She said it was to "see if a certified teacher makes a difference" and to "buy time until the FBA is going".

At this point, it would appear that it was going well with Mr Para/Teacher. Wee has never gone to school with subs and had a good day. In fact, in the past, he just didn't go to school when it was a sub. Last week, he went 2 days in a row, had exceptional days, AND did all of his work that was left for him without incident or issue.

The FBA doesn't start til Thursday.

And Mr Para/Teacher is gone.

whatamess

At the very least, they should continue to let para/teacher work with him so he can pass on his 'technique' to those who will be working with Wee in the future. Maybe the school thought nothing would make a difference and put para/teacher in for 'show'. Maybe they only alloted him those few days to work with Wee and never intended for him to do more because they didn't think it would work anyway. Do you know where Mr. para/teacher usually works?

DammitJanet

I am really starting to hate MO! Really. First this BS and now it appears MO is going to get my baby. Are you anywhere near an army base? I might just have to move in with you...lol.

LittleDudesMom

Sheri,

I thought the superintendent pulled the para/teacher from another school and assigned him to be Wee's full-time 1:1 (albeit, temporarily until the FBA was done)? I would email the the super, let him/her know para/teacher was not there, teacher told you she didn't know anything about para/teacher not being there but when you spoke with principal she said that she and the teacher were "trying it". Ask if that was his/her intent? Why were you not notified?

Was there another trained para there today for Wee?

Sharon

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Sharon, that's what I was told. I am going to call the super.

The para's that Wee had today were the 2 he had prior to Mr Para/Teacher. Not sure what they have expected to have changed...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I also really want to call their attorney again. I seriously doubt he has a clue what's taking place.

Marguerite

Shari, this principal sounds very difficult child - she has impulse control issues, she is a micromanager, she lies (telling you that she and the teacher agreed on this, when the teacher had no idea) which also leads into me pointing out that she has obvious communication issues.

What she is doing does sound to me like she is trying to set Wee up for failure. If I were in your shoes, I would make it clear that this is what I think, and let her (should she choose to) try to prove to me that I am wrong in this thought. Because this guy was supposed to be there until the FBA was happening, and it's not happening yet. Plus he was only there for a few days, less than a week, wasn't it? Far too short for his presence to do more than merely manage the situation while he is there. I thought they were lso going to learn from him while he was there, and I don't think they had the chance, he was there for such a short time.

It would be very interesting for the super to ask para/teacher what happened. I'm betting principal has stepped in entirely on her own bat and taken control in areas where she should not. Super needs to put things in place in ways that the principal cannot undermine; she should apply to super if she has concerns, and super needs to then check the situation out for himself before letting principal have her own way. And THAT needs to go into the IEP!

Shari, don't let her have any wiggle room in this. Go for the jugular, this is your kid's success she has once again sabotaged.

Marg

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I tried getting the attorney again today and had no luck. Tomorow I will ring him every hour on the hour!

I think you're right that this needs to be called out. I'm just not sure to who.

I also calledd JO today. So far, they have no report on file for Wee...more smoke? Or just delay in processing it? They guy said it had been reported last Monday....who knows.

SpEd Teacher called tonight. She really has an amazing handle on Wee....it will be a crying shame if principal brings what she has to offer down...