And Now a Suicide Threat!!!

smallworld

I understand the need to have testing through the SD for Special Education, but school officials are not qualified to make medical diagnosis or offer treatment. How is this going to get DaisyFace's daughter closer to getting her the kind of help she really needs?

rlsnights

Well, I don't know what kind of help her daughter needs. I don't know if she's Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD) or meets criteria for a psychiatric disorder or both.

I do know that you can sometimes get help through the SD that can make a big difference and that the SD is legally obligated to provide if the child needs those services to be able to access the regular curriculum including behavioral interventions and supports.

I will say that I have known a couple families who got a neuropsychiatric evaluation through the SD. I have no idea if this is something that would be warranted in this case and am certainly not qualified to figure it out.

The SD can provide a battery of basic psychological and other assessments like speech and language which do sound like they may be appropriate given the Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) result from the earlier screening. Those assessments are based in part on the parent's concerns and if they are told that the parent is concerned about possible Autism Spectrum Disorder then the SD should be doing at least a screening assessment for that.

Here in our state, the school psychologist can do a screening assessment for Autism/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD). The next step from there, assuming a screening assessment suggests Autism/Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD), is a referral to a regional center for further assessment. In addition the SD will have to do additional assessment to determine if the child qualifies for Special Education services as a child with Autism.

Alternatively, if she really feels an Autism Spectrum Diagnosis should be ruled out she could go directly to the regional center and request assessment from them.

The IEP team can refer a child for mental health services including therapy and psychiatric assessment if there is evidence that psychological or psychiatric problems are impacting the child's ability to access the general curriculum.

Besides the possibility that the SD assessment could lead to new avenues for medical and psychiatric assessment, should her daughter be determined eligible for Special Education services those services can extend to a non-public school placement and other options for dealing with the behavioral problems.

So I guess that's my reasoning for suggesting Special Education assessment. Our oldest son was placed in therapeutic foster care and a non-public therapeutic school placement because he was eligible for special education services and his IEP team determined that he required that level of service. Needs should dictate placement - something that many SD's prefer to forget.

It may not be ideal but it sounds like she has tried other avenues and run into road blocks, not the least of which may be a very limited access to medical care due to being on Medicaid. Here in CA there are hardly any doctors who will take Medicaid patients and referrals are very hard to get for the same reason. I assume it's the same where she lives.

As long as her daughter is under 18 the SD is potentially on the hook for helping this child. The only avenue for getting that help is to apply for special education.

Last edited: