And speaking of Oktoberfest carnivals...

gcvmom

Here we go again!
here I am tonight getting hammered... :happyoktoberfest:

(I'm actually holding easy child's inflatable hammer prize she won at one of the game booths). And no, I'm not ALWAYS that blurry, just when I drink. :tongue:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's a pale shadow of a real Oktoberfest! I've been to several Germany, including the big one in Munich, and I can assure you that beer is NOT served out of disposable glasses.

It comes in "krugs" made of either glass or pottery. Each one holds a liter...There are also various snacks like soft pretzels and the like. There are also sausage and fries stands, gingerbread stands, and lots of tzatches available.

Munich, like I said, is the biggie, but it is quite possible to trip over a fornicating couple while walking the grounds. It is definitely an adults only environment.

After visiting Munich's fest one year, husband and I dicided to stick with the local stuff.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Okay, GN, you big BRAGGER!

C'mon, it's a church FUNDRAISER event for cryin-out-loud-in-your-beer! It's in a PARKING LOT. What do you expect? You don't get leiderhosen and lusty fraus serving fancy schmancy drafts in fancy schmancy steins. Okay?

I bought the beer-in-a-Solo-cup because it was $3 CHEAPER than the beer-in-a-glass-mug and I'm on the CHEAP, wait -- make that NO Budget budget now that we collect unemployment checks for a living.

The air was hot. I was thirsty. It was beer. It was cold. It was wet. It was good.:its_all_good:

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sweetie.......I think you're supposed to look blurry if we're the ones drinking, not you. :rofl:

But you look even blurrier to me thanks to this virus. lol I'm still having trouble believing a church had an ocktoberfest for a fund raiser!! :faint:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
glad to hear it was going for charity. Most of the fests in Germany go to benefit Caritas Verband which is a country wide Catholic charity organisation.

They supply food pantries, housing, shelters, etc. Some of the very small fests donate proceeds to local organizations of various types.

When I was over there, you paid a deposit on your krug. If you returned it, you got your deposit back, if not, you got a nice new krug for your collection.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Yup, this was for a Catholic church. They sure know how to party!

When the sun went down, all the scary teenagers came out.... that's why the grownups need the beer garden!:wine:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I can vouch for some denominations really knowing how to get down at fundraisers.

husband used to volunteer his chef's skills during Oktoberfest at a local (US) church. We used to laugh about it as he worked in an executive kitchen for a living and here he was flipping burgers and hotdogs.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
In our neck of the woods it's Booya season (some have pig roasts). That wonderful soup stew that no one is ever sure whether someone threw a squirrel in the pot or not.:winks:

Same type of fund raiser - different part of the country. However it goes farther than that, there are neighborhoods that have block booyas - incredible parties. ("It's all dose Lutr'ns, don't ya know, here in Lake Woebegone".

Hope you aren't blurry this morning. I agree with Busy ~ your hair does look good.

Abbey

Spork Queen
haha...yeah, those Catholics know how to put on a fund raiser. It always entails a keg for charity.

I've been on a mission to find a non-denominational church in this neck of the woods. Nope. You're either Catholic or Catholic light. (Let you figure out what that is.)

So, I'll have my own Oktoberfest tonight as I grill some brauts. Maybe some Lutherans will break bad and come by. Ooops...my bad.

Abbey