And the beat goes on....sigh!

DDD

The demon alcohol is taking control. This is the third time in five years that he has been unable to walk straight and threw up out the car window, in the toilet and now in the hall. His head could barely stay upright.

He either can't or won't differentiate between "drinks" and "cups". Yes, I said "cups" of booze. He believes that people who toss down shots are binge drinkers and "have a problem" BUT if you just drink a cup or two you are OK. :sad-very:

Although he "knows" that alcohol is BAD for his brain functioning he just can't face the demon. This time is the first time that I have cleaned up after him. He fell twice and I couldn't take a chance that he would slam his head tonight.

He's lost 11 pounds in the sixteen days he has been home AND has taken
all his pills on time and with-o complaint. He is helping a bit at the store inputting data in our computer but can't hold his concentration more than about fifteen minutes BUT we are pleased. Tomorrow morning he is going to church with a friend. I keep trying to think of the positive but tonight it was like a bad scene in a sorry movie about winos. DDD

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yikes. A cup of booze is the equivalent by measure of 6-8 shots. More if he's drinking from something like a coffee mug which may hold twelve or more ounces. That's truly scary.

Is he taking in calories other than the liquor? That's a big issue with him developing "wet brain" from the lack of nutrients. Add in the Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) and you've got a potential nightmare.

Is there anyway you can get him into at least a detox center to dry out. He needs serious help, a fact I am sure you are not unaware of.

DDD

Yes, sadly, I am aware.

He has no memory of last night. He apologized. He thanked me for helping him. He has gone to church this morning. Before he left I said "son, when you are in church ask the Lord to help you overcome this terrible addiction". He replied "Mama, last night was unusual. I don't
get drunk like that very often at all."

Addiction denial + Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI) symptoms + no totally healthy friends = a disaster
waiting to happen........again. DDD

Fran

Former desparate mom
It does sound like a terrible thing to watch. I'm sorry for you and husband to have to watch your beloved grandson do this to himself. Hugs.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. Would you consider Al-Anon for some support for YOU? It sounds like he is not ready to face the problems. Until he is, he won't be able to heal. I don't know much about Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI), but I do know this sounds like a recipe for a real tragedy.

Please don't let him drive.

Hugs, and many prayers,

Susie

Ephchap

Awww, DDD, I'm so sad to read this. Wish I knew something new to suggest. I know you've tried everything under the sun, and then some.

Sending more strength and hugs, my friend,
Deb