And the doctor says...

KTMom91

...I'm depressed. All that blood work showed nothing unusual. Thyroid is fine, hormone levels are fine, the only thing that was slightly low was Vitamin D level. However, I still hurt and I want to take a nap.

She suggested Abilify along with my regular dose of Effexor. Any thoughts on how this will work? I can't get the medications till Friday anyway, when Hubby gets paid. I suspect this will be another pharmacy battle, like the Lipitor fight I had two weeks ago.

flutterby

Fly away!
If you have high cholesterol and borderline-diabetes, I'd be hesitant to take an AP. Have they checked your trigger points for fibro?

KTMom91

I don't think so; at least, I don't remember being poked at. She did tell me about the possible rise in blood sugar with an AP; and said the blood work showed no signs of inflammation. Isn't fibro an inflammation?

DammitJanet

no. look up devin starlyn or something that looks like that...put that name and fibro in a search engine and it will pop

crazymama30

As long as it is a low dose abilify, 2mg or so, it may be worth a try, but weight gain can be a problem with the medication. I think it would depend on how carpy I felt, if I felt bad enough it would be worth a try.

Fwiw, vitamin D is extremely linked with depression, what about trying a vit d supplement first? I think when I saw a psychiatrist he had me take 2,000 iu's a day. it is cheaper than abilify by far.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well that's no fun.

Whatever you end up adding to the mix, I hope it helps and doesn't make other things worse!

pepperidge

Don't know if it is appropriate--Abilify is way expensive, but I do know that my depressed son was helped considerably by Lamictal which is not an AP , he's not bipolar, and it is available in generic. Could be totally wrong, but just thought I would toss that into the ring.

KTMom91

Thanks for the input; I'll see how the Abilify works and if it doesn't, I'll mention the Lamictal when I go back in three weeks. I'll also ask about the trigger points for fibro.