Animal shelters, the SPCA, etc.

Andy

Unfortunately as long as there is a need to take care of unwanted neglected animals, this will go on.

We do know that the 1st and best answer is to spay/neuter if you are not capable of taking on the responsibility of caring for any offsprings. Don't plan on selling any to make money - when that falls through, you must take good care of those still in your home. So, the best answer for 99% of people is to spay/neuter.

I think the 2nd answer is to have caring loving people working at places who are willing to take in unwanted neglected animals. I think what some are finding in the Humane Societies that too willingly euthianize are staff or shortage of staff who really care about the animals. A board that doesn't work hard at finding homes for those brought in. This is not a job for just anyone looking for an income. This is a job that must be given to and accepted by people who have a deep compassion for animals.

The 3rd answer goes along with the 2nd. A community of people and organizations that truley support the goal of the shelter - to find homes for each animal. Volunteers to foster, people to adopt.

I know people who work at our local humane society. They love the animals and are working hard at keeping each of them alive and cared for and loved until a home is found. I have a friend who volunteers there who takes the big dogs on runs with her. She also show cases many of the animals on her facebook page in an effort to find them homes. More people like her would cut down on the euthasions.

The less money brought in, the less food and blankets and toys for the animals, the shorter the time they can be kept in the effort to find a home.

As with every place we choose to support, it is crucial that we search their true intent. If their 1st answer to an unwanted animal is to kill it, then of course we do not want to financially support it. If their 1st answer is to love and care for it and then work their fingers to the bones in advertising, word of mouth and whatever it takes to get foster homes and adoptions then maybe it is o.k. to help out?

It would be a perfect world if every town had a place that could guarantee a no-kill situation just because there was not a better answer.

It is very frustrating and sad that this is going on. Educating on what is happening and finding a way to make it a better situation is the answer.

Thank you for bringing this up so we can all take a closer look into each of our shelters to see if their goals truly do meet what they are asking us to finance with donations.

DammitJanet

If you think its hard to just volunteer and walk the dogs, imagine actually being the animal control officer who has to be on the front lines every day. Jamie can tell you in exact measurements the amounts needed to put any animal down. He has to do it. This is my boy who who cried so hard I had to sedate him after we found a puppy who had been run over by a car and was so horribly mangled that it could not be saved. Tony did the only humane thing for it...he put it out of its misery. Jamie just cried for hours. Now Jamie has to see the unimaginable almost daily and do the killing. He works for the county. He HATES the ASPCA. Despises it with a passion. I am not entirely sure why but I figure if he has a good enough reason that it is probably good enough for me.

I have a feeling that his dealing with all this animal stuff is a reason he has made the move over to the police academy. Animals really arent doing anything wrong, its the people which he does like taking them down but as a cop, he will only have to deal with people and not deal with hurt animals anymore.

Steely

MWM - that is really good info - as I never knew that happened.
It was interesting when I went to adopt a dog, I went to a non profit no kill shelter. Well, seriously, the paperwork involved in getting a dog with this shelter was as if I was signing up my kid to be in an elite pre-school. It was over the TOP. I certainly could pass all of their criteria, but it annoyed me to the point of me telling them that I would not adopt from them! I told them that there were a million puppies ready to be euthanized that I could save in a heartbeat, and not have to prove my worthiness to, and I walked away. I later adopted Tesla from a the Humane Society and I feel really good about it now.
I do truly understand these non profits wanting to adopt to good homes - but I guess my point is that I wonder how many of those puppies/dogs sit at these non-profit centers un-homed because of their stringent adoption procedures.
Just another take on this whole subject.

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
I have to agree this will continue to go on as long as there are irresponsible pet owners who do not spay/neuter their animals. in my humble opinion, not every animal can be rescued or placed. The cost alone is prohibitive.

I'm an animal lover, really I am. I'm also realistic ~ with today's economy not every animal can be taken in. A sad fact of life.

JJJ

We got our dog in the fall from a no kill shelter in our area. She had been part of a shipment of animals from a kill-shelter in Kentucky. Appearently, we have more homes up here and they ship a truckful of animal up north every Saturday. We chose this shelter because they did not insist on interviewing the family and doing home visits -- I knew Tigger would not handle being turned down for a dog (talk about heartbreaking) and if the person doing the screening wasn't familiar with Autism, I can see them saying no.

Our plans for when Tigger gets older, is to start a true no-kill shelter where the only animals put to sleep are those who are in agony and cannot be helped. Our goal is to staff the shelter with special needs workers. We're going to call it "Twice Blessed" -- giving special needs adults jobs and saving animals.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Star you hit it right on the head.

I could no more count the number of animals Nichole and I've saved over the years than the stars in the sky. Most were fostered until we found decent loving homes. Some we lost along the way. Sad, but sometimes they're so far gone by the time they stumble onto us or us onto them that you can only do so much.

*note this does not count birds, rabbits, squirrels, hedgehogs, lizards, field mice......turtles and lord knows what else as like with Star they get released

I'm not quite sure how it happened but somehow I've become the house everyone dumps their unwanted cats/kittens at. Interesting as I'm not even partial to cats. So I have my pride of cats I feed daily.....which fyi I honestly can't afford to feed but someone has to or they'll starve. I treat them for fleas ticks and worms. Thanks to a friend, I'm going to attempt to have the spay/neuter van visit several times this summer which will get the job done for strays for 5 bucks each.

Nichole went through a phase where she brought home animals from the local shelter often. Then she'd be overwhelmed in training, dealing with their issues ect. I'd wind up helping. We'd whip them into shape and rehome them into good homes. We did this for a few years actually. Didn't mind when It was my idea and I was prepared for it, was less than pleased when she'd show up with a new pup or dog. lol But every one found a new home. Except for lil Bit who sad to say we could not stop the aggressive behavior after months of working with her and she had to be put down. Bawled our eyes out. But could not risk rehoming her and her hurting someone.

Rowdy is not fixed. I wish I had. He's fathered many litters. Most with the sweetest Rot I've ever known around the corner. I've done everything humanly possible to prevent it, dogs are creative when it comes to love. Nearly killed Nichole when she put Precious into the back yard with Rowdy knowing she was in heat before I could get her fixed. By the time she confessed......well I decided to deal with it. A week before Aubrey's birth we had I think 9 puppies on our hands. Seven weeks later we found homes for all of those house trained puppies. Not easy but we did it cuz it was our responsiblity. Well all except Betsy. Then had to rehome Precious as she started having severe aggression issues with Molly.......she was rehomed to a family with no other dogs, best for her. Besty was spayed before her first heat. Was not risking that again. lol

Bruce is not fixed, but Bruce does not ever go outside.

People's stupidity amazes me.

Our shelter is a death trap. Our pound is a better place for an animal than our Humane Society. Sad but the truth. 75 percent of animals adopted from our shelter are sick. Every vet in the area will back me up on it. Every animal I've adopted out of there we've had to have treated, several have come close to death.

We support a local woman who works her fanny off to find foster homes ect for the strays in the area. She helped us rehome on of our harder to place dogs. We support local rescue groups working hard to the same end. I do what I can to help our shelter despite it's conditions because people helping is the only way it will improve.

Nichole tried to help at the shelter in dayton and got told she had to pay 10 dollars each time she went. I'm not sure what that was about, but she told them to stuff it. Then found a really good organization to help at.

I still pick up the stray. I can't help it. Why? Because like Star said, you can't fix stupid. ugh

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I know which shelter Nichole was going to. And you know what? They keep complaining in the paper that they don't have volunteers. I tried, too. Fortunately it's not SICSA - they are grateful for ANYTHING you help them with!!!

Steely

We got our dog in the fall from a no kill shelter in our area. She had been part of a shipment of animals from a kill-shelter in Kentucky. Appearently, we have more homes up here and they ship a truckful of animal up north every Saturday. We chose this shelter because they did not insist on interviewing the family and doing home visits -- I knew Tigger would not handle being turned down for a dog (talk about heartbreaking) and if the person doing the screening wasn't familiar with Autism, I can see them saying no.

Our plans for when Tigger gets older, is to start a true no-kill shelter where the only animals put to sleep are those who are in agony and cannot be helped. Our goal is to staff the shelter with special needs workers. We're going to call it "Twice Blessed" -- giving special needs adults jobs and saving animals.

OMG - I LOVE this idea. Call me when that happens and I am on board. We will just need acres and acres of land:) Awesome idea - because that is exactly the type of shelter I was talking about. They also have acres and acres of land, but I am not sure who the animals really get adopted to, because of all the ridiculous information they require up front. In addition I am very sure that they do not employ anyone with special needs, these folks look like they all stepped out of a Vogue magazine, and were equipped with the same type of attitude.

And, to comment on the others in this thread, Tesla was only 8 weeks old (or so they say) when I adopted her from the Humane Society and she was extremely sick. She was on 3 weeks of antibiotics, and apparently she had only been at the Humane Society a week. Tragic, but so common. One good thing is that they told me that I would have a warrant out for my arrest if I did not have her spayed within a certain time, (not sure if they can really do that, but whatever) and I had to prove I did it. It was part of their contract for adopting the puppy- and I agreed whole hardheartedly. The spay/neuter issue is where this all starts.

DammitJanet

JJJ...that reminds me of the Pitbulls and Paroles show. What that woman does for both the dogs and the guys is nothing short of amazing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I saw that for the first time when husband and I went to Cincinnati last fall!!! What a GREAT idea!!!

BusynMember

Honestly, after reading all this...some pet owners are so DUMB. PETA sounds scary. And I still don't like the humane society. Often they are too picky about who adopts the dogs that they are just going to kill anyway.
We have a few dogs around here who are never allowed in the house. I feel this is wrong. One gets no attention at all because he is a hunting dog. I feel so badly for him that I sometimes sneak my dogs up to his kennel so he can have a little company. He's such a friendly little thing (beagle) and all he does is bark all day. Terrible, in my opinion.
I don't believe anyone should be FORCED to spay and neuter, but I wish most people would. All of my pets are. It boggles my mind when I hear the excuses for not doing it. Such ignorance!Even worse, ever read the reasons why pets are relinquished to the pounds? "We're moving." "Don't have time for." "Lost my job." Why do I not even believe the stupid excuses??

Star*

call 911........call 911
There is in my opinion and not a HUMBLE one at that......because my dogs are my kids......that when you come to adopt a puppy.......that you should not take into consideration---

1.) IS THIS A LIFETIME COMMITTMENT FOR YOU?.......Because it is for her.....look at her eyes. She thinks she is getting a home, family and love and all that goes with it just like a child. I think how you treat a dog says a great deal about how you treat your family. Few circumstances would make me think otherwise. VERY FEW. I have fingers in my ears to most. (We're moving).......really? Do they not have houses where you are going - "well we have to move to a smaller apartment." Oh well thank GOD your Mother doesn't live with you or they don't allow CHILDREN.....GAWD....think of what that would entail if you HAD to move and you moved to an apartment complex where they DID NOT allow CHILDREN?.....I mean you couldn't find an apartment where they took your dog? BULLONEY! You didn't want the dog. Plain and simple.

2.) We can't afford her anymore. Here is one where I teeter - What if you had a child? You would what? FOSTER CARE? RELATIVE? How much can a bag of Ol Roy cost? What couldn't you give up in YOUR lifestyle to off-set the cost of this little life YOU CHOSE TO HAVE IN YOURS? How do you tell her that cigarettes and cheetos each week were more important than keeping her? I dont' get it. I would scrub toilets to keep my kids. Maybe not in flea treatment and biscuits - but I'd do everything in my power. We'd make it somehow - NO WAY could I look at those eyes, that soul and say "See ya." I'd rather die and would.

3.) Short of being too sick, elderly, or something along those lines - I dont' get it - and even then - WHERE is YOUR family? Don't you get that a dog and it's people KNOW when someone is sick or hurting and they need each other? Unless that person is just a totally awful person and has been to the dog they are BETTER together and it's been proven animals (dogs or cats) help people heal. You take most peoples pets from them? It depresses them.

4.) Hoarders. - Nuf sed.

My point with spay and neuter is this - IF you aren't going to breed - to improve the breed then there IS a chance that there COULD be puppies. If there is that chance? Then you are increasing the population - and it may not be YOU that is irresponsible (although if your dog has puppies and you never meant for her to - ) Then those puppies go off to WHO? What do THEY do? Get the puppy spayed or neutered and then what? MORE unwanted puppies. So sometimes it is not YOU....it's the people that get your puppies....and thus the cycle continues. Spayed and neutered animals make better pets because they are not constantly looking for a mate, or sex. Proven fact. That's why the vets, the ASPCA and even breeders preach Spay and Neuter. You can't predict a breeding - and dogs can breed THROUGH a chain link fence....so even if you have your dog in a yard, in a kennel? They aren't safe. A yard, in a kennel, inside another kennel or in the house - maybe. It's unreal.

I just don't get people MWM.....but I am glad that you made this post. Again - You totally ROCK! And thanks for speaking up for the beagle - You are right. He needs love too! You have a good heart.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I don't believe anyone should be FORCED to spay and neuter, but I wish most people would. All of my pets are. It boggles my mind when I hear the excuses for not doing it. Such ignorance!

Local SICSA - does spay/neuter for $10 if you cannot afford the "full price" and will even do it for free if absolutely necessary. Also - if you hit a rough patch - they will give you food. When I first got Weasel? I was B.R.O.K.E. Some days she ate when I didn't. She's my baby. (At one point BM insisted that Jett was HORRIBLY allergic to cats and told us we HAD to get rid of them - funny thing - his allergies to everything are all but GONE now... Umm.) Fact is, many people DON'T get that they're not "pets". They're family members with lots of hair that walk differently.

DDD

Personally I wonder why there is not an annual birth control shot given to animals if their families can not afford to get them fixed...it is expensive around here. If women can get yearly protection why can't dogs/cats?? It could be mandatory just like rabies shots and then animal control could remove only the animals that were not legally protected.

Surprisingly, we really don't have many strays around here. It seems odd that a community on the low side of the socio/economic scale wouldn't. Maybe the pets stay close to home hoping for food.
I've never heard of subsidized support for neutering so I assume, just like children, the pets of the
dedicated stable family get what is needed...and the others don't. DDD

donna723

They have the low cost spay and neuter program for both dogs and cats here about twice a year, not more than $10-$15, and people STILL don't do it! Who couldn't come up with that if they really wanted to? If they can't afford that, how can they afford to feed the dog? I don't think it's the money at all ... I think they're just too damn lazy to get it done and they just don't care enough! I was at the vet's office with my Ragan (again!) this morning and there were two other people in there, a man and a woman, with their pets. They were both nicely dressed, arrived in decent late model cars. They both seemed to be good, caring pet owners. But then they got to talking to each other about the mixed breed "whoops" litters of puppies they each had at home! And these are mixes of large breed dogs that have very large litters! So just between these two idiots, they have added probably 14-16 MORE dogs in a county where the shelter is already overflowing with unwanted pets!

And they just don't think of animals the same way that most of us do. Getting a pet should never be something done on impulse. When you bring an animal into your home, it should be a lifelong commitment ... "for better or worse, in sickness and in health"! They are not objects to be cast aside when it becomes inconvenient, expensive, or you tire of them. If you can't afford to care for them properly for the long haul, don't get a dog! I'm retired now and soooo NOT wealthy but I estimate I've spent over $2,000 on my Boston, Ragan, since last October! She's had severe allergies, dental infections, skin infections, thyroid problems, etc., etc. and is allergic to many of the medications that could help her. It's trial and error with her. In the last week and a half she's been to the vet four times and we go back Tuesday! She's now on NINE different medications. I've spent part of my 401k money and my tax refund on her medical care. And I do not regret even one dime of what I've spent on her! If I didn't have the money, I'd be looking for what I could sell to pay her vet bills! She's been a beloved member of my family for almost nine years now, my devoted little best friend, my snuggle buddy. I owe her!

(NEWS FLASH!! KATY JUST CAUGHT ANOTHER MOUSE!! WOO HOO, KATY!!!) :winnersmiley:

Last edited: