Annoyed With The therapist

B

Bunny

Two and a half weeks ago difficult child had a horrible night. Punched me several times and slapped me across the face. I stayed between difficult child and easy child because I knew that if I walked away he would go after easy child. I talk to the therapist about it and he says that for our next appointment he wants me and husband to come in so that we can talk about what happened. That appointment was supposed to be tonight. I'm not quite sure what talking about this episode more than two weeks later is going to accomplish, but whatever. He sent me a text last night that he needed to cancel as his sitter cancelled and he had no one to stay with his kids. That's fine. It's happened to all of us at one time or another. When I book appointments for difficult child I usually forward book appointments for several weeks in advance, this way I know I have the appointments and that they are on the day that suits difficult child and me the best. I texted the therapist back and asked if he still had us in his book for next week.

Ready for this?

He gave my appointment times for all of my forward booked appointment away to someone else!!

Seriously, I am so angry I could just spit nails!! So now we have no appintments and he's not sure when he can fit us in.

I just want to scream.

Ktllc

OMG! What is wrong with this therapist?? Why in the world would he do that?? Besides the obvious scheduling nightmare, is he helpful when you do see him?
If he is, I would have a talk with him so that issues like that won't happen in the future. Friendly but firm.
If he is not even really helpful, maybe time to move on?
It is SO hard to find good professionals who fit our needs....

pajamas

I'd go one step further - scheduling issues aside, a 2-week wait for an appointment about a violent episode in a 12-yo?! Really??You need someone who thinks that's serious enough to be dealt with immediately. The smart ones keep a little air in their schedules anyway in case someone needs to be fit in whether a new patient or a crisis. If (ok, when) we have similar episodes our psychiatrist is on the phone with me that night. (So are the therapists, but we've escalated to 24-7 support recently so that doesn't count.)

B

Bunny

The therapist wanted husband to come in with me because after the episode with difficult child, husband didn't seem to take it seriously. I was really upset about it, but husband's attitude was, "It's over and done with and he said that he wouldn't do it again." The therapist wanted to try (yet again) to get husband on the same page that I'm on. Seriously, I don't think that's ever going to happen, so I think the appointment was a waste of time, but I was going to humor the therapist anyway.

When difficult child sees him the therapist is pretty helpful. I have to get him on the phone because yesterday everything was over text messages. The last message I sent said to him that I had all of these appointment book and how could he just give them to someone else? He knew I needed those times. Conveniently, he did not respond to that text. Why am I not surprised?

Bunny,

I don't blame you for being angry!! From what you've said, I think it's time to find another therapist right away! As far as I'm concerned, violence is never OK, and all incidents of violence should be taken seriously and handled appropriately right away. It is ridiculous and ineffective to have to wait two weeks for an appointment to discuss this incident.

Hoping you find a much more professional, caring therapist soon... SFR

buddy

I'm with you on this...it is not ok. When I called the doctor last fri after Q being violent she did call back...BUT she said she would talk to me on mon about medications... then on monday...she was at another clinic so I called there (we go to that clinic too) and she said she would call yesterday when she was with her own records, no call...so I called this morning and I am told they have a really busy day... I said well this is urgent and she needs to call me...I expect a call by this afternoon. I think if these guys dont get that kids and families are in crisis when there is that level of aggression then they need to not take on our cases. I am going to talk to our neuro today about this....I know she will call back. She is the one who asked her to take us on because she is really nice and smart, but I think just way too busy for us.

I really feel for you, this is nonsense and two weeks then to give away your appointment? I am upset about a few DAYS! He needs to stay late if there are no office hour appointments if you want to stay with him, if not....I hope you can find someone who has time and experience with this.

Tiapet

Old Hand
I wouldn't be putting up with it personally. No way. Especially after finding out that all the forward appointments were just "poofed" to someone else and you can't even get one? No way, ut uh! Mamma don't play them games and not when I have a child who's being violent at times.

I wish you luck and send warm thoughts in hopes that things do get better and you're able to get accomplished what you need.

B

Bunny

Miraculously, the therapist gave me back my appointment time for next week and he told me that he would put me back into the days and times that I had.

And when he texted me last night about this he said that he had to run because he had to go into a session. Didn't he cancel my appointment last night because he had no one to stay with his kids? How could be be going into a session?

This just gets dumber and dumber.

buddy

Miraculously, the therapist gave me back my appointment time for next week and he told me that he would put me back into the days and times that I had.

And when he texted me last night about this he said that he had to run because he had to go into a session. Didn't he cancel my appointment last night because he had no one to stay with his kids? How could be be going into a session?

This just gets dumber and dumber.

Please save that text and bring it to the next session. without difficult child there, say you just want to clarify....you cancelled a desperately needed appointment because of babysitting issues, right? (if he says yes) then ask what he meant by not being able to talk because he was going into session. Trust is an enormous component of therapy, especially when you are trying to help a child. This kind of nonsense is really not ok.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I hate these kinds of games...

seems like you've caught the therapist in a lie (or two or three).

Would it make sense to just come right out and ask if you need to be referred to somebody else? You know....give him an "out... That way he doesn't need to make up reasons as to why he will not see you.

B

Bunny

say you just want to clarify....you cancelled a desperately needed appointment because of babysitting issues, right? (if he says yes) then ask what he meant by not being able to talk because he was going into session.

Trust me, I definately plan on bringing that up. I am clearly not pleased.