anoather pet peeve

muttmeister

Just got off the phone with an old friend. She was telling me about a house she had visited that her friend's son is buying.

Why do otherwise intelligent people insist on mispronouncing realtor and realty? They are dealing with REAL estate. They are REALtors; not realators. They are in REALty; not realaty.

I know this is petty and stupid but it drives me nuts. I guess I just don't have far to be driven.

muttmeister

And another thing: why can some people not take time to proof read their posts so they don't do stupid things like misspelling "another." LOL

shellyd67

OK, I am literally LOL over here in PA.

Anyhow, my pet peeve is when people say brefast instead of breakfast. Or samich instead of sandwich. It drives me nuts !

nvts

Ok! Mine is "nucular" instead of "nuclear". What bothered me the most (and I'm not picking on our former president for political reasons) was how many times during the campaign, Jimmy Carter kept refering to his degree that made him a "nucular physicist". No one should have a degree in a discipline that they can't pronounce!

I'll stick to electric! hahahaha!

Beth

donna723

How about those people who pronounce an "l" that isn't there in the word "idea". There's a a lot of difference between "idea" and "ideal".

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
First of all, it is "stomach", not "stomache". Second all "reins" are what you use to control something. A "reign" is a period of rulership. You REIN someone in; you do not REIGN them in.

H

HaoZi

How about the ones that say "pacific" instead of "specific"? Also, there is no "t" in "across," stop pronouncing it like there is.

H

HaoZi

And another thing: why can some people not take time to proof read their posts so they don't do stupid things like misspelling "another." LOL

I wondered if that was a typo or if you were just driving the point home. ;)

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well then, I may as well never post again if I am not allowed to write phonetically. I fear it will take all the color out of my writing. Walsh's Plain English Handbook states on page 68, sub section 418: Effective Sentences. An effective sentence must maintain unity, coherence, and emphasis. Subsection 419 goes on to state: Unity requires that the sentence must expres a connected thought, THe relationship of thoughts must be clearly shown:

Poor: Fred Smith visited me last summer, and he once lived in England.
Better: Fred Smith, who visited me last summer, once lived in Englad.
Best: Well this one time...there wuz this realty guy name a Fred Smith - we all jus' called him Smitty counta his last name being Smith and all. Anwway, we knew Smitty had come over from England and was looking to buy a house here so one day we drove him out to see this piece of property way out in the boonies. The Realtor we knew said old Smitty couldn't sell houses her on accounta he didn't have his realators license in the US yet. So before we went to see this property we decided we'd sit for a spell in the diner and have us all a BBQ samich. Mmmmmmm MMMMMM some of the bestest bBq in the world ratcheer. It filled up our stomache, Boy I had to pull back the rains on them horses to keep them away from the all ewe can eats - they wood shure have been reining cats and dogs in the car from the beans if u know what I mean. I don't like to be pacific here, or get too tecknisticle. You get the idear. Then again if it were blind id be a no idear.

Well sir, we wuz done wit our fud and drunk all our melk then left out in our car to go see the house. But by the time we got to it? It done got sold. Poor Smitty he wuz vary sad. So sad he got back on a plain plane and flew all the way back to England. The End. Almost. He said he had a nice family back there and they were the nuclular part of his world. I'm glad they are there. That sounds kinda catchy. On the way back to England Mr. Smitty stopped in the airport gift shop and he bought me a dictionary and sended it to my house and now have I become a writer, The End.

Last edited:
H

HaoZi

OMW Star, I think my eyes are bleeding and I didn't even manage to get all the way through that.

donna723

We used to have a high school principal, a man with a Masters Degree, who still referred to that big room with all the books in it as the "ly-berry"!

KTMom91

During Miss KT's senior year of high school, the assistant principal gave an update on refurbishing of school facilities, and was "very proud to note that the fa kade of the school had been painted a bright blue." I cracked up laughing.

Oh, Mr. Fettucine? The word is spelled facade, but it is pronounced fa-saad. Have a nice day.

Mattsmom277

I'm guilty of a couple of things that probably drive people crazy. I say pupcorn instead of popcorn and hutdog instead of hotdog. I mean I KNOW how to say it, I KNOW that it drives me kids crazy. I must have not realized it and carried it over from childhood or something.

Mattsmom277

Well thanks for that ;). Stupid thing is if I use the same terms in other phrases, I pronounce them properly. I can ask for a can a pop (not pup) or say it is hot outside (not hut). It's only those two words and even if I concentrate to say it correctly (otherwise its habit and I don't notice until the kids start mocking me) it sounds funny rolling off my tongue in the correct form. Sometimes I do it just to get the kids riled up.

I guess I should be happy I outgrew saying busgetti. ;)

Malika

Do you have the syndrome that we call "grocer's apostrophe" in the States? The name arose from all the mysterious signs outside greengrocers alerting the clientele to such mysteries as tomatoe's or potatoe's... people often talk about it's, for example, as in the horse ate it's hat (= its hat, its already being possessive and needing no apostrophe). Pedantry rules OK!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Funny you should say that.....whilst I wuz a writing that thar story? At the libarry? I had me a sody pup, a hut dog, and some pupcorn. Dog loved the pup corn. I have no pedantic rules about maters and taters....but I iffin you wanna come here and pick some Malika youze welcome to.

Oh but then I see you have a Syndrome. Sorry guess flying is out. Take a boat. :flirtysmile3: