Another computer question ...

donna723

Does anyone have Internet Explorer 9? I didn't want it, didn't ask for it, but apparently I've got it now! My laptop is about a year old now and came with IE 7. When I went to turn the laptop off a few days ago it started downloading a big update and when I turned it on the next morning it said that (lucky me!) I now have Internet Explorer 9! Does anybody else have this, or did everybody else already have it and I'm the last hold-out?

So far, the only differences I've seen I do NOT like but I guess I could learn to live with them. But what happened to the "Edit" feature that used to be on the upper left corner, the drop down menu that allowed you to "Copy"? It's gone!!! All that's in that corner now is the two arrows. How do you copy and paste without that Edit feature? My internet was going on and off tonight while I was making a post and what I've always done before when it does that is to copy what I have and then if it goes down for a minute I can just paste what I copied and go on from there. I know it's supposed to Save automatically but it doesn't always work.

DammitJanet

I hate IE and dont use it. It does make you update though when you do windows updates or it tells you you arent updating correctly so I just comply. I use either Chrome or FF. I am having a time getting used to Chrome because I am a FF type of gal. Just use one of them and you will be fine.

donna723

I've never tried to use another browser! Just the thought of it scares me to death! Can you have more than one browser and go back and forth between them? I don't even have a clue how to do something like that!

When I go to turn the computer off, it will start down loading all these automatic updates. Then when I turn it on again, it goes through this big song and dance routine saying it's configuring the updates. Most of the time I have no idea what it's changed and don't notice any difference but this Version 9 just bites the big one!

InsaneCdn

Don't ask me how to do it.. I have to figure it out everytime I upgrade to a newer computer... but there is a way to set automatic updates so they are NOT automatic. It isn't recommended to turn updates "off", but I keep mine to a level called "notify" (what they call it, varies... of course)... it will tell me when there are updates available, and I choose when and whether to install. It prevents this kind of stuff...

IE8 is considered current. IE7 is acceptable. IE6 is "out of date".

donna723

Well somehow I ended up with EI9! I never minded the automatic updates because ordinarily I never noticed that anything had changed. I just figured it had made changes in the innards that I knew nothing about anyway. And it never really tells you what the downloads are so you can decide if you wanted them or not. I just want my "Edit" thingie back! Without that, there is no way to copy and paste! That can't be right! None of the changes I've noticed so far have a been an improvement

InsaneCdn

There is a way to uninstall... but I wouldn't attempt that unless I knew what I was doing... you need somebody like Janet's Billy.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I stopped using IE a couple of years back. I hate it. I use Firefox, it's much easier to use.

You can just download it I believe. I dunno, Travis did mine.........but he just did it to husband's laptop and as I recall he just downloaded and installed. Probably have to get whatever upgrades/updates that are available too.

keista

GET RID OF IE!!!!!!!!! I can't believe ppl are still using it. Yes, you can have more than one browser on your computer. you can set one as your default and then just use whichever one you are in the mood for. My only word of caution is when you go to download new ones. They are often bundled with worse than useless toolbars which only slow down your system. Make sure you uncheck boxes allowing for the additional downloads.

To copy without the Edit Menu: Highlight what you want to copy, right click, click copy. To paste go to you paste location, right click, click paste.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL I actually prefer IE. Firefox, Chrome... Yech. I've even tried Opera. Hated it.

A couple of ways to copy and paste. For either, first you highlight whatever it is you want to copy.

Right-click on the highlighted area, then click "copy" - go wherever you want to paste, right-click, then click "paste"

OR

Ctrl-C to copy, Ctrl-V to paste.

Nancy

I have IE9 and have only ever used the right click ctrl+C and ctrl+V to cut and paste and it works fine.

Nancy

donna723

Thank you everyone! I tried the right click and I think that will work. But why would they remove something as useful as that little "Edit" box? I wish they would just leave everything the h*ll alone! None of it seems to be an improvement, just confusing changes for the sake of making changes!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
When microsoft redid Office and added that STUPID ribbon... I still have trouble finding stuff. See, I'm big on the keyboard and shortcut keys.

trinityroyal

Donna, I usually use Chrome as my primary browser, but I have IE9 installed on my computer.

If you want your menu bar back, here's what you do:

1) Scroll to the top of your screen. There should be some sort of tool bar there, one with little icons of a house, an envelope, a pen etc.
NOTE: If there's no tool bar, there will be a dark grey line.
2) Place your mouse cursor over the tool bar (or right on the dark grey line, if there is no tool bar)
3) Right-click, and select Menu Bar from the pop-up list.
You will see the menu bar with File, Edit, View and the other options. Copy and Paste are right where they should be.

Hope this helps,
Trinity

DammitJanet

Donna...go ahead and download firefox while you are at it so you have a back up browser. IE is really not the best browser anymore. Actually Chrome is supposed to be but I like FF. If you just go to google and type in firefox it will take you to the download page and you can dowload the current version. It is a breeze to work with.

klmno

Try this- highlight what you want to copy and while it's still blue right-click your mouse and see if you get a little box pop-up with an option to copy, then click on that. Go to where you want to paste, cllick to make sure your mouse is there, right-click and get the box with an option to paste.

I had an auto=update that did something with my IE and I hate it, too. I can't gid rid of it and am just trying to deal with it. It doesn't sound like the same problem you are having though.

Also, go to a blank area in the menu bar space, right click, and see if you get any options for which bars you want turned on.