Another in school suspension

Wiped Out

Staff member
difficult child will be spending another day at in-school suspensions this week. He apparently popped a child yesterday. It happened because my difficult child said the child sounded like a hillbilly, and the child replied to difficult child that he looked like one. So difficult child hit him lightly and the child replied that it didn't hurt so then, of course, my difficult child hit him harder. Argh!

difficult child was upset though that he got an in-school suspension when apparently some kids had been picking on and hitting him earlier in the day and nothing happened to them. husband will follow up with the principal today.

I'm so glad the week is at an end-his year at school had been so good until this week. We still have one more week to go before break-I'm crossing all body parts he makes it through!

LittleDudesMom

I'm sorry Sharon, I know it's not a laughing matter but when I read "difficult child said the child sounded like a hillbilly, and the child replied to difficult child that he looked like one. So difficult child hit him lightly and the child replied that it didn't hurt so then, of course, my difficult child hit him harder." I just had to laugh. It's so boyish and silly. Not that I condone hitting, but if you saw that interaction on a sitcom it would be funny.

I'm sorry that difficult child had a rough week - you predicted it earlier - you've been down this path before.

My difficult child had his first office referral this week, fortunately it didn't result in ISS or other disciplinary action but......... I think this holiday season has all our difficult child's on edge.

Hugs to you. Fortunately you have the weekend coming up and his anxiety level should decrease (along with yours and husband's) :angel:.

Sharon

meowbunny

Another one who truly laughed out loud at the whole exchange. At one time, this whole thing would have been chalked up to boys will be boys. Today, it is a whole different story.

Hope school vacation starts soon. HUGS

Janna

Sharon,

I had to chuckle like LDM did, I'm sorry!

That would really be Dylan to try to find blame everywhere else, too. That is one biggie I want him to work on, taking responsibility for himself and NOT worrying about what everyone else has done/is doing. That seems to be a big problem with alot of the kiddos.

I hope you can relax some this weekend and get a break from all the difficult child'ness.

*hugs*

slsh

member since 1999
Oh Sharon... another one who chuckled just a bit. Sigh. The holidays really play havoc with our kids. One more week to go.

Glad that husband is going to be following up on the bullying stuff. Consistency, consistency, consistency.

Sending up good thoughts that you all will have a peaceful weekend, fingers crossed!

happymomof2

Sounds just like something my difficult child would do.

I also agree that not that many years ago if this would have happened the boys would have been talked to, if that, and life would go on as normal.

The good ole days - over. Now it's call the cops and someone gets arrested. At least he just got ISS.

Jere

Oh I know how you feel. It was a rough week for me too. My difficult child (7) second grade hit the principal in the face! Had to go get him, then they gave him in school suspension for Yesterday. Well that doesn't work for him and he will freak out that is what I told them. What did they do, not listen. So he freaked! What was in the room he distoryed. He called 911 and riped the phone off the wall! NO JOKE. The police came and talked with him about calling 911. They said when the cop walked in with the gun he got so scared. They don't think he will do that again. My week has been long. Oh and becuase they had a field trip today they said he couldn't go to school becuase no one would be there to watch him and they can't take him on the field trip. So he had to go to work with me! I dont have any words of wisdom but I do feel your pain. I just hope to nip this in the bud soon. I don't want him to be in high school pulling this. We are going the medication route but I can't meet with anyone till 27 Dec. At least he will be out of school. I hope your weekend proves to be better and at least you can start the week over.

F

flutterbee

Oh, Sharon, I'm sorry you're still struggling with this. I, too, had to chuckle and thought to myself, "Well, that'll teach the kid to say 'it didn't hurt'".

I'm glad husband is talking to the principal. Our kids feel singled out enough as it is and for him to get into trouble while others don't is not something they can understand. Of course, that is difficult child's take on it and maybe it was taken out of context.

I hope difficult child's weekend is better than his week has been.

(((hugs)))

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
Sharon,

I hope you can clear up one question the whole board is asking themselves - what does a hillbilly sound like. You know for future reference when our difficult children get into this same situation. :rofl:

Your husband is such a sweetie - he seems so willing to take on more & more of difficult child matters. :bravo:

The holiday aren't that far away.

by the way, if this helps - kt & wm already know what they will be receiving for Christmas - the thrill (hence the anxiety) is gone. There will be a few surprises (can't let that go) however they don't know that. I know the fun part of the holiday is the anticipation but so many of our difficult children cannot handle it.

Take care, my friend. :flower:

wakeupcall

:grrr:Jere.....NO NO NO NO NO!!! I know it's too late now, but you should never have agreed to take your son to work with you while the rest of the class went on a field trip. I learned that the hard way and it was the exact same scenerio! First of all, HE missed out on the education of a field trip. HE missed out on a day of instruction and the rest of the class got that instruction. It was inappropriate for them to have suggested you take your son....What??? And make him truant? It's THEIR responsibility to find an aide or someone to assist him on the field trip. In our case he was in the principal's offic all day while the rest of the class had fun on a field trip!

I'm very adamant about this as you can tell. I've learned a lot of this stuff the hard way and I'm so sick of these schools taking advantage of our children and US. Grrrrrr. How dare they say he can't go with the rest of the class! Call your school district and complain about discrimination. Grrrrr. I know, I know, you don't want to rock the boat. I know, I know, you don't want to make a name for yourself or make it hard on your child. Bologna!!! I took that stuff for years -- NO more!

busywend

I hope the next week goes smoothly. Holidays are rough for us all.

My difficult child placed herself in ISS this week. She knows when she needs that break. I didn't even say anything. The school didn't call me, either. I guess we all know her by now.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks Ladies! I appreciate your sense of humor-I thought it was funny too-not the hitting part, of course. I didn't even talk to difficult child about it-totally let husband handle it-it works better that way because difficult child gets too mad at me.

Sorry I wasn't there to hear what a hillbilly sounds like-maybe I should ask difficult child :rofl: Hopefully the boy did learn not to say that it didn't hurt.

Jere- Sorry your week was so rough. I agree with Pam they should have kept him at school Hugs.

Sharon,

This sounds exactly like something difficult child 2 would do. I think the holidays bring out the worst in so many of our difficult children. They just can't seem to deal with all of the excitement and changes to their daily routines that are a part of this season.

When you said that you let husband handle the situation, I totally understand where you're coming from. I'm glad you have such a loving and supportive husband!!!

I've got all my body parts crossed too that your difficult child makes it to school vacation with absolutely NO more incidents!!!

I hope you have a CALM, PEACEFUL, UNEVENTFUL weekend!!! WFEN

ysne58

The thing with in day school suspensions that we need to watch out for is that some school admins use this as a technique to administer a punishment while avoiding letting the parents know something happened.

The school that my son used to attend tried to pull this on me. They didn't remember that kids tell their parents about school. I was all over them the next day on this. They never tried to pull that again.

We ended up pulling him out of school shortly after that because they were not protecting him from the constant bullying he was being exposed to. I never did figure out whether this failure was due to incompetence, not wanting to do their job, or a combination of the two.

He is doing really well at his new school.

ysne58

Regarding field trips, one of the parents at that school had already solved that problem. She went on the field trips too and made sure her child and all the other kids in Special Education were allowed to fully participate.

I helped out by providing child care for her youngest so she could do that after I found out how she had resolved that issue.

wakeupcall

The reason I chose not to attend the field trips is because my son had/has severe separation anxiety. It wouldn't help him if I was going along. He needed to learn to be more independent; going with him would have just fed into it. Ohhhh, the things we learn along this path!!

DDD

I've got "a thing" about ISS and OSS. Can't be objective on the
subject. I do suggest, however, that you make absolutely sure
that you document every single time he gets in trouble and what
steps are taken. It can bite you in the fanny, even in the legal
system, if you don't have documentation. DDD