Another question

4sumrzn

I didn't get any responses to my hospital question yesterday so I'm guessing nobody knows of any that are "the best of the best"....I'll continue searching.

Anyway, on to another question. difficult child's doctor want us to start her on Clonidine this weekend....mainly for her tics, but said it may also help in the hyperactivity & aggression!? I've noticed most of you commenting it is used for sleep with your difficult child. I'm suppose to give it to her throughout the day.......so she will be sleepy:sleeping:??? My gosh, the only time this child has ever been sleepy during day light hours is if she's sick!!!!! I guess I'm curious if anyone else's difficult child takes it during the day???

Thanks!!!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We tried very small doses for difficult child 2 thru the day for agression and hyperactivity. While it toned him down a SMIDGE, when he came off it, he was even meaner, so we stopped. WE use strictly for sleep when desperate and emergency knock-down.

4sumrzn

Wow, that makes me nervous..."sleep & emergency knock-down"? Also, not too thrilled with the possibility of coming off of it & issues being worse either :( Thanks for the reply Shari. I appreciate it.

jannie

trying to survive....
I've heard many people to use it for tics as well as the activity level and agression....so it can't hurt. Perhaps you will just start with small dosage...I believe that it doesn't last that long. My child took tenex which is similar to chlonidine and also treats the same symptoms....I've read that tenex is less sedating, but perhaps chlonidine is better for the tics...good luck with it.

Wiped Out

Staff member
My difficult child uses Clonidine for sleep at night and lesser dosages for helping with hyperactivity during the day. For him it has been helpful. The day time dosages haven't really made him extra sleepy-maybe at first did but not in the long run.

M

ML

I don't have any experience with this medication but wanted to wish you the best of luck with it. It's a trial and error. What works for some may not work for others. This is so hard. This is such an inexact science and it's our precious babies we're experimenting on. My good thoughts are with you. ML