Another request for a circle of prayer and support

My very dear friend, and just coincidently my boss, is gravely ill. She is such an incredible person and amazing role model. Eleven years ago she was coming home from a fun dinner with her friends and she fell asleep in the back seat of her friend's SUV. Her friend swerved to miss a rabbit that was in the road and the SUV flipped. Every one else walked away, but my friend was lying asleep in the back seat without a seatbelt, was ejected, and was she was instantly rendered a C4 quadriplegic.

In those eleven years she has gone through a protracted rehabilitation and she bought herself a house to move into from the hospital. She lives alone with the assistance of attendants and even, amazingly, drives independently with some serious expensive electronic equipment. She works, and she never turns down an opportunity to speak to teenagers about seatbelt use or about life as a person with a disability. She is without a doubt, the greatest boss that I have ever had. For her recent 40th birthday, she went tandem skydiving - and she loved it!!!

Now for the scary part, she came down with pneumonia two weeks ago. In the eleven years since her accident she has not been ill or hospitalized - not even once. This is serious, because she cannot cough. She's now in the ICU on a vent and in a drug induced coma to ease her anxiety. Please send up a prayer for her... I just know that she has a lot more to do before she leaves us all.

meowbunny

Prayers going out. She sounds like a remarkable lady who deserves to keep giving.

Saw this as I was clicking to submit, just think it's perfect for you and your friend: "There's a generous current in the American spirit. And if we can simply give voice to that once in a while, I think it's a good message."

Fred McFeely Rogers

Your friend has given that message more than once. So have you in your posts here and in sharing her spirit. May you both keep giving!

saving grace

Oh how tragic. The things we take for granted, like coughing. Its just not fair sometimes. I will say an extra prayer tonight for your friend. May she be blessed with the strength and power to pull through this.

Grace

Star*

call 911........call 911
How blessed you have been to know such a fantastic woman. She will certainly be in my prayers. What an admirable streak of independence. I believe I will tell difficult child about her.

Thanks for sharing
Hugs
Star

G

guest3

Prayers to your friend and hugs Occupational Therapist (OT) you for being there for her

TerryJ2

Oh dear! That's so sad and scary. I'm sending thoughts and fairy dust and strength and healing and everything I can think of.

:flower:

Good Thanksgiving news about my boss/good friend,

We finally got her admitted into a speciality spinal cord injury hospital here in town on Wednesday where they understand her needs. It's believed that she will be taken off the breathing tube on Monday! She's using a C-pap for breathing now.

This is, without a doubt, the best thanksgiving I have ever had!