Another retro thread: What did you use that your kids/grandkids will never use?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I love stockings with seams... But I don't wear them much. In fact I DESPISE pantyhose, for the same reasons!

trinityroyal

I sometimes wear the whole bit: stockings with seams, garters, a calf-length pencil skirt, peplum jacket, and those little Joan Crawford style shoes with the curvy heels and the little bows over the toes.

I haven't yet resorted to wearing my hair in a snood, but maybe one of these days...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
What's a peplum jacket? I've heard this term a lot and never could figure it out. Is it a style or a fabric?

trinityroyal

A peplum is a ruffled section that begins at the waist of a jacket or blouse. Here's one example:

10_Peplum_Jacket_Black_06_b.jpg

DDD

Trinity, lol, and the final step is to have your sister or your Mother or your husband check you out from the backside and assure you that the seams are straight. :bigsmile::bigsmile: DDD

BusynMember

Peroxide in their hair...thankfully.

I remember some greaser chick who came to school with a new colored hair....green!!! She had obviously miscalculated how long she should keep the peroxide in her hair. I remember me and my friend, who were sitting behind her, staring at one another with dropped jaws then looking back at her green-tinged hair. She had darkened it the next day.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
LOL, I got rid of a console TV a year or two ago. Granted it was new enough to have RCA jacks on the back, but it was still a console model.

trinityroyal

Bouffant hair. I know that girls pouf their hair up these days too, but I'm thinking of a specific style. One that involved the dome hair dryer and roller set I mentioned earlier.

The first time my mother took me to the "Beauty Parlour" when I was about 5 years old, I emerged with my formerly waist-length hair looking something like this:
2615324803_f1e30d03e1.jpg

I LOVED it. I thought I was so glamorous and sophisticated. Tee hee!

BusynMember

THE HAIR! OMG! LOL. Yes, yes, yes! And you know what went with that, at least in our school? False eyelashes!!!! I don't think anyone wears those anymore.
View attachment 74

I LOVED it. I thought I was so glamorous and sophisticated. Tee hee![/QUOTE]

YES, YES! And do you know what went along with this? False eyelashes!!! Does anyone wear them anymore? Everyone had them at our school. This thread is bringing me back in time...lolol.

trinityroyal

False eyelashes! MWM, I'd forgotten they existed. I was too young to wear them out in public, but I remember having my makeup done for dance recitals, and false eyelashes were always involved somehow. My dance teacher explained that "They make your eyes POP! from the stage." She was beautiful, so I took her word for it that a) my eyes should POP! and b) that false eyelashes were the way to do that.

trinityroyal

I have a picture of my Mom looking like this... About 7 years before I was born!!

Step, that hairstyle was years out of date when I first got it. It was about 1972 or 1973. My mother's hair dresser was...um...old school. He didn't hold with these new-fangled notions about "the natural look" that the teenage girls were going on about. A proper lady wore her hair in a bouffant as far as he was concerned, so a bouffant I got.

donna723

OMG!! That hairdo is what most of us looked like in high school in the mid-60's! I don't know what the real name is but we just called it a "flip" and you have no idea how much curling, teasing and spraying went in to maintaining that! Had to get up a half hour early to do my hair!! This was before hot rollers or curling irons were in general use so most of us set our hair every night on brush rollers and actually learned to sleep that way! It was like sleeping with dozens of little cactuses embedded in your head!

We did the false eyelashes too but not until later. The eyelashes came with the "mod" look after the British invasion changed rock music forever and that whole look became so popular. Lots of makeup, huge dark eyes and very pale lips. We let our hair grow too and tossed all those horrible rollers! A close friend recently sent me a picture of us taken when I was a bridesmaid at her wedding in 1967. We both have the eyelashes and my hair was almost down to my waist! I weighed about 110 pounds then too ... never again! I've showed those pictures to my kids and they weren't even sure it was me!

BusynMember

Trinity, my mom was very old fashion in her fashion sense. When she had been a little girl and teen, they put bobby pins in their hair to get it to curl and it really looked, to me, FRIZZY. Frizzy was NOT "in" when I was growing up. It was more the straight hair parted in the middle so that only your nose showed look. The hippie hair look. But that never stopped my mom from forcing me to have bobby pin curls when I was on stage dancing or doing my drama or singing or going to parties or having pictures taken of me. She forced the bobby pin curls on me until I was old enough to say, "NO!" I wonder if rollers were a new thing when I was growing up because my mom sure didn't use curlers to set her hair! And pictures of her friends sort of showed the same bobby pin curls.

That brings me to something else our kids will never know: Curlers, ironing your hair because there was no such thing as a straighter such as the one Jumper uses to get her African American hair to be perfectly straight, and I'm not even sure hair blowers existed until I was in my teens.

Times change FAST. I am going to be 60, so the entire hair and phone and TV revolution took place within fifty years. The phone revolution is taking off faster than anything I could have ever imagined. My daughter Julie, who is 28, did not own a cell phone. Few of her friends did. Jumper, Sonic and their friends have advanced cell phones that even send pictures and you can Skype. I can't think of anything that changed as fast as phones...from black dial phones to I-phones in fifty years. Quite an overhaul!

Can anyone think of ANYTHING that has changed faster and more than telephones?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
YES, YES! And do you know what went along with this? False eyelashes!!! Does anyone wear them anymore? Everyone had them at our school. This thread is bringing me back in time...lolol.

Onyxx wears them... Jett says they look like she has spiders on her eyes...