Another retro thread: What did you use that your kids/grandkids will never use?

trinityroyal

Gosh, I AM a throwback.

I still use hankies, and wear slips. I draw the line, however, at dickies. I HATED them when they were current. The bad sensory experience of wearing 1/4 of a shirt was just too much for me to bear.

Nehru jackets brought to mind Leisure Suits. Tee hee!
leisurebirth.jpg

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I think I have a short half-slip jammed deep in the back of a drawer. I probably own 4 dresses, 3 of which are no-slip types...

trinityroyal

I have a collection of slips, some antique, handed down from my Grannie. They are lovely. Silk with beautiful embroidery and lace.
Full slips, half slips, those body briefer things with the clips for garters, even a girdle or two.

I have a bunch of fancy dresses that get trotted out a few times a year for various parties, and each one requires a different sort of foundation infrastructure to ensure that everything is locked and loaded.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL we have starch for husband's uniforms. The kind he doesn't wear since he was medically discharged...

Pink Elephant

Wringer washing machines (for sure)!

Old-fashioned rotary dial telephones is definitely another.

Diaper pins and rubber pants (I would think).

Reel lawnmowers. LOL! Society has become so lazy.

Coloured toilet paper! ROFLMAO! I remember how the paper used to bleed the colored dye.

BusynMember

Lol. I now have a vague memory of them now. Thank you.

In all seriousness, those would be very dangerous for older people.

Man, I am physically active and have always been but no way would I have used that thing in the sun in the heat when there were/are other alternatives. The one we are getting for our new house is self propelled :)

I even think we are hiring someone to mow. But we ARE older now.

Pink Elephant

Lol. I now have a vague memory of them now. Thank you.

In all seriousness, those would be very dangerous for older people.

Man, I am physically active and have always been but no way would I have used that thing in the sun in the heat when there were/are other alternatives. The one we are getting for our new house is self propelled :)

I even think we are hiring someone to mow. But we ARE older now.
LOL! I'm starting to think that you lived a very sheltered life, SOT. ROFLMAO! :rolleyes:

Reel mowers (I think) were more popular among countries dwellers rather than city, but I'm sure a percentage of city dwellers relied on reel mowers as well.

BusynMember

I was in a wealthy suburb, not the city. Nobody there would have used a lawn mower that wasn't easy to push. Heck, many had landscaping services! Some never mowed.

I wasn't sheltered at all. My parents didn't care what I saw. I just think rural Canada and rich suburban U.S.A. were different worlds. I don't know much about the city either, at least not the poorer part of the city. In my childhood, the people I knew we're pretty well off so they could afford to skip things such as old fashion mowers. Money changes things. I didn't meet less wealthy people until I was a young adult (and they didn't use cloth diapers or push hand mowers with no motor). But they did have to be more mindful of their finances. Considerably so.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

I was in a wealthy suburb, not the city. Nobody there would have used a lawn mower that wasn't easy to push. Heck, many had landscaping services! Some never mowed.

I wasn't sheltered at all. My parents didn't care what I saw. I just think rural Canada and rich suburban U.S.A. were different worlds. I don't know much about the city either, at least not the poorer part of the city. In my childhood, the people I knew we're pretty well off so they could afford to skip things such as old fashion mowers. Money changes things. I didn't meet less wealthy people until I was a young adult (and they didn't use cloth diapers or push hand mowers with no motor). But they did have to be more mindful of their finances.
One thing I remember about my childhood, is most all families relied on a single vehicle, unlike today where multiple vehicles grace the front of and most driveways of peoples homes.

Pink Elephant

I didn't meet less wealthy people until I was a young adult (and they didn't use cloth diapers or push hand mowers with no motor).
I know for me, being a stay-at-home mom and all, having a supply of cloth diapers on-hand equated to convenience. With hubby working outside the home and sometimes being away, having everything ready and at my disposal was a must.

Also, the diapers I used were the old-fashioned large flat sheet styled ones, so the same diapers I used on the baby, I used on the toddler. Youngest wore them at nighttime well into his 4's. I just had to fold them differently to fit each kid depending on how old or how big (or small) they were, which was super-nifty. No special sizes to worry about. A nice custom folded and fitting diaper at every change.

Didn't matter how skinny, how chubby, how tall, or how short a kid was, those old sheet styled diapers always provided for a proper fit. From newborn to toilet training (and beyond), those old diapers kept on fitting, and those old elasticized rubber pants ensured whatever the kid did in their pants, stayed in their pants.

Last edited:

BusynMember

Lol. I didn't bother much with diapers. I put them on, the kids didn't complain.

Again, in our suburb families almost all had two cars, some more. Even we had two and Mom didn't drive! One was an older car though. Some people had two new cars and another one for a child, often new or almost new. For show I think. People had serious money there in my day. I suspect it is still a wealthy town. The whole Chicago North Shore used to be one of the richest areas in the country. Kenilworth Winetka, Highland Park, Wilmette, Northbrook, Glenview (where my Dad last lived) and the like. Anyone who knows Chicago knows the area. We weren't there but we were close by.

Goneboy is buying or building a house in Northbrook.

I did not resonate with the rich people who lived near me and was eager to get out. If I won the lottery I would never live in a bulk rich community. I don't like the feel. It doesn't suit me. I would probably just divide it all with my kids and give some money to my favorite rescues.

Living in a rich neighborhood gave me a unique childhood though. It was very different from other ones decribed here. People could afford convenience and did not do things the hard way! The one "wow" moment I remember was going to the richest area called The Towers. I was in middle school and had a friend who was an outcast like me and she invited me over. I knew her dad was a doctor but I was used to doctor's where I lived.

The house was huge and beautiful but I was kind of used to that too only this one was a bit MORE. When I rang the doorbell a properly clothed butler answered the door. I had seen plenty of maids but no butlers! My jaw probably dropped as I saw my friend running down this beautiful staircase waving to me.

That floored me.

This friend of mine was a lot like me....socially shy, awkward, rotten in sports, a C student....one would not have associated her with that fancy life. And I didn't pay attention to name brand clothes to know if she dressed expensively.

Last edited:

Pink Elephant

Lol. I didn't bother much with diapers. I put them on, the kids didn't complain.

Again, in our suburb families almost all had two cars, some more. Even we had two and Mom didn't drive! One was an older car though. Some people had two new cars and another one for a child, often new or almost new. For show I think. People had serious money there in my day. I suspect it is still a wealthy town. The whole Chicago North Shore used to be one of the richest areas in the country. Kenilworth Winetka, Highland Park, Wilmette, Northbrook, Glenview (where my Dad last lived) and the like. Anyone who knows Chicago knows the area. We weren't there but we were close by.

Goneboy is buying or building a house in Northbrook.

I did not resonate with the rich people who lived near me and was eager to get out. If I won the lottery I would never live in a bulk rich community. I don't like the feel. It doesn't suit me. I would probably just divide it all with my kids and give some money to my favorite rescues.

Living in a rich neighborhood gave me a unique childhood though. It was very different from other ones decribed here. People could afford convenience and did not do things the hard way! The one "wow" moment I remember was going to the richest area called The Towers. I was in middle school and had a friend who was an outcast like me and she invited me over. I knew her dad was a doctor but I was used to doctor's where I lived.

The house was huge and beautiful but I was kind of used to that too only this one was a bit MORE. When I rang the doorbell a properly clothed butler answered the door. I had seen plenty of maids but no butlers! My jaw probably dropped as I saw my friend running down this beautiful staircase waving to me.

That floored me.

This friend of mine was a lot like me....socially shy, awkward, rotten in sports, a C student....one would not have associated her with that fancy life. And I didn't pay attention to name brand clothes to know if she dressed expensively.
Oh, SOT, but you have to remember that I'm such a fuddy-duddy! LOL!

Boy, your upbringing and childhood sure was starkly different than mine. I'll save how we lived for another future thread, but let me tell you, there was no grand staircases, no cupboards filled with food, and no butlers, maids, or grounds-keepers, and our vehicles were all old and worn-out. Looking back on it now I felt sorry for my parents. Used to dream and wish all the time that I could win some money and surprise them with some much needed cash.

BusynMember

There I'm is nothing special about expensive things. I don't have them and never ever wished for them. And as a kid we had okay stuff but it was considered trashy where I lived ,(shrug). I truly did not want Tara as a house (too big, too hard to clean) or a status car (I was and am very anti status symbols), nice jewelry (to me a big waste of money; I have no interest in it,) or a butler or maid living with me. I couldn't wait to leave and I did. Never once did I pine for "nice things." What I wanted the most was a loving family and I finally got one...so I lived my dream. Honestly, I don't think most people have what I have...a great hubby and loving kids. I consider myself very wealthy in what things I value.

Pink Elephant

There I'm is nothing special about expensive things. I don't have them and never ever wished for them. And as a kid we had okay stuff but it was considered trashy where I lived ,(shrug). I truly did not want Tara as a house (too big, too hard to clean) or a status car (I was and am very anti status symbols), nice jewelry (to me a big waste of money; I have no interest in it,) or a butler or maid living with me. I couldn't wait to leave and I did. Never once did I pine for "nice things." What I wanted the most was a loving family and I finally got one...so I lived my dream. Honestly, I don't think most people have what I have...a great hubby and loving kids. I consider myself very wealthy in what things I value.
I've often thought of what it could be like to have money, say through a lotto winning, and honestly, I wouldn't change a thing as to how we live now. There would be no maids, no housekeepers, and no gardeners. Yes, I would like a new or newer home, but aside from a few basic things, all would remain the same.

BusynMember

I wouldn't get pretentious but I'd love to build a good homeless shelter and a few rescues for animals. Nice ones. I feel so bad for the homeless people and animals too!! I know I would want to help both.