Another school shooting

Kathy813

Staff member
I noticed that the Oregon school shooting only made page 3 of the Atlanta Journal & Constitution. What a sad commentary that a school shooting with fatalities is so common place that is it not even front page news anymore.

Oh, and if anyone walked into a restaurant openly carrying a gun where I was eating, I would not take the time to find out if he/she was a crazy there to shoot people or someone simply carrying out their "right" to open carry their weapon.

I would be out the door so fast all they would see is a blur. I am glad that a lot of restaurants are taking a stand again guns in their restaurants.

I can certainly understand why the rest of the world shakes their heads in disbelief at our gun culture.

~Kathy

BusynMember

A very unstable person isn't going to listen to or care about gun laws or gun safety, as shown by our high homicide rate by firearm. And kids do have accidents.

Kathy, I didn't even know about the shooting. Then I think there was another one with nobody getting hurt or only one person getting hurt and it was also barely covered. This is becoming our life.

I would do what you did if I walked ANYWHERE and saw someone with a gun. I wouldn't wait to find out if it was somebody sane. Around here you don't see that and if I did, I'd assume it was somebody not sane. I think most people here would be uncomfortable with that.

SuZir

Media not covering these type of crime is in fact the best thing that can happen. It is that fame other shooters have received the culprits are after. It doesn't matter that they would be dead. They enjoy about the idea of that fame beforehand. If shooters don't get that attention, others are less likely to follow.

And USA is not an only place things like that happen. They have happened elsewhere in western countries too. Around my neck of the woods there in fact recently was a situation that was caught in planning stage and it has been in court and corresponds of the potential perps have been made public. Very chilling reading and it is also extremely clear, that fame and notoriety, even after death, because they were planning to die in the attack too, was their goal. When school shooters can not expect that fame any more, they are also much less likely to plan or execute these types of attacks.

Sent using ConductDisorders mobile app

Calamity Jane

A sad observation...
We live in a quiet suburban town, not unlike Sandy Hook. We attend a Catholic church which has a K-8 parochial school attached. Just before Mass ended a few weeks ago, the Priest announced that two 5th graders wanted to say a few words to thank the parish. The two kids, dressed in their uniforms approached the podium and thanked all of us who contributed to the school's fund, as the money was used to pay for lockdown and surveillance equipment for the school. The kids were articulate and appreciative, as if they were describing new laptops or smartboards. husband turned to me and whispered, "This is just tragic - it's a sick world." We all clapped for the students after their speech, but husband and I were gobsmacked.

When husband and I were kids, we had school nuclear drills and learned to hide under our desks in case of an attack. The school basement had nuclear fallout shelter stickers on the walls, and I guess we grew up with nuclear war looming over us, but thank God it never happened. These kids, as young and younger than 5th graders, know all about school shootings. We've failed these kids, haven't we?

Kathy813

Staff member
Suzir, I am well aware that these kind of things happen in other parts of the world. It is the fact that there have been 74 school shootings in the past 18 months that makes us special.

I doubt anywhere else in the world could even come close to that sad statistic.

witzend

Janet, AR-15s are long guns by law. No limit on how many I can buy. Same as a rifle, and I can legally sell as many as I want to whomever I want with no license to sell who can buy with no background check.

Nomad

Staff member
I'm sort of a moderate. Can't really place a label on me that way. But, I think we just need to do something about our gun laws. It is disturbing how many guns get into the wrong hands....and how many shootings there are at schools. Change is urgently needed. It is profoundly disturbing. 74 school shootings in 18 months is grotesque!

We also have guns, but why assault weapons?? Who NEEDS those? Agree, as long as no further "common sense" rules in place, it will continue.

PatriotsGirl

I think everyone should need a license to carry, which means going through a background check to be approved. I had to. I certainly didn't mind and I do carry.

Something needs to be done about the lack of care for our mentally ill. THAT is what needs overhaul...

DammitJanet

You have to have a license to carry a handgun. You dont have to have a license to own a long gun but you do have to have a license to hunt and there are specific rules about how you have to carry that gun to and from hunting. The gun and the ammo cannot be within the same area. Such as I couldnt just lay my shotgun on my front seat and put the ammo next to it. When we owned a car with a trunk we put the guns in the trunk and the ammo in the glove box. Now we only have a very small truck so the guns go behind the seat of the truck and the ammo is in the glove box. You cant reach the guns without getting out of the truck and pulling a lever to make the seat go forward.

And I would be happy as a clam if they outlawed military type weapons for anyone other than the military or police. The only time I think a private citizen should be able to have one of those is if they are a certified collector who has passed numerous background checks and has become a licensed collector. I dont want them in just anyone's hands because I have a son who is in a profession where those guns are used against them. Of course, there is a whole other subject about types of ammo. And the fact that you can read online how to make a semi automatic gun into an automatic gun in less than half an hour.