Another Silly FB Question

N

Nomad

Embarassed.

I am friends with- someone who has many, many friends on their FB.

This person periodically takes me of their newsfeed. It is the STRANGEST thing. Some months I am on and then I am off.

All of a sudden, I will get their posts appearing on the News Feed again.

I am not aware of a good reason why...although to the best of my knowledge, the person themself must be maniulating this, right?

I can still see all their info. if I type in their name....but I have to take the time to type in their name to get information until this person (I think) makes the change and info. once again appears on the News Feed. So, what's going on???

Thanks.:D

CrazyinVA

Staff member
Hm well, are you sure it's not just the timing of when you look? Could it be that you aren't seeing their posts because there are so many other posts (from your other friends) showing up more recently in the feed, and their posts are buried further down and aren't visible? That happens to me a lot. For example, if someone posted something at say 9:00 this morning, and since that time 20 other of my friends have posted things that showed in my feed, I'm not going to see that 9:00 post in my feed, it's long gone.

N

Nomad

Ah shucks, I think you could be right. It' REAL confusing if I haven't been on for several days AND the person happens to not have posted much for several days.

Sorta like when I don't come here for several days and then try to catch up....I get REAL lost. :redface:

Many thanks.

donna723

Someone was talking about this on Facebook a few weeks ago, that it wasn't showing all the posts from their friends. I think this includes all the Groups you've joined too and pages you've subscribed to.

Some people who play a lot of games have thousands of friends on their list. They said there is a default setting that will only allow you to receive messages and posts from 250 friends at a time and if you have more than that, you will only receive part of them. But you can change that. If you scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, on the lower right it says "Edit Options" - click on that. You will get a box that says "Number of Friends" and under that it says "Maximum number of Friends shown in live feed" and it will probably be set at "250". Change the "250" to "2000", the maximum it will let you have. That should do it, and unless you go over 2,000 friends, you shouldn't miss any more posts.

OR ... (just thought of this!) ... it could be that your friend still has hers set on "250", and even though she has hundreds of friends, her posts are only going out to 250 of them!

Last edited:

Andy

Have you tried clicking on "Most Recent"? That will give you a more detailed listing of the posts. I have not figured out how FB decides what gets put into the "Top News" but do know that after reading posts upon signing in, I will click on "Most Recent" and go through everything else that didn't make the "Top News".

Look for "Top News" and "Most Recent" to the right of the "NEWS FEED".

everywoman

In facebook the program itself can choose who you see and don't see. You have to go to your profile and change the settings to see everyone.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yep fb can't seem to make up their mind who I see and who I don't see. No matter what I do.

I'm one of those fb people with an ungodly amt of friends. lol But I've noticed it tends to post messages from people who post fairly often...........or else posts are getting buried and I'm missing them. Then if I really want to know what's going on with someone I just pop over to their profile and take a look.:D

CrazyinVA

Staff member
I have a lot of friends, too. I do notice that the posts FB includes in the "top news" are pretty random (although sometimes they seem to be the "popular" posts, with the most comments/likes), but the ones in the "most recent" are consistently real time posts.

One thing I've done to try to keep up with certain friends and not miss their posts is to create several Friends "lists." I click on the list and it filters all the posts from that particular group of friends and shows only those in my news feed. You can create lists by going to your profile, and clicking on the "XXX Friends" link under your Friends module on the left, and click "create new list." Once created, the filters/lists will show up on your home page, on the left. I have lists for Family, a core group of friends, high school friends, etc. etc. (you could create one for "CD Friends," for instance) You can go back and forth between the filtered lists, and the "most recent" or other feeds as needed.

~Crazy.. your friendly Facebook Addict :)

N

Nomad

Okay....same person....
Seems to have a SECOND FB page.
AND they are friends with themselves.
Okay, starting to wonder about this individual.
But, maybe not. Things sometimes can be explained. UGH.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Nomad... I am starting to wonder about that. I know several people who have done just that - so they can have another "friend" in Treasure Isle, Cafe World or FarmVille. Or what have you.

I have enough trouble keeping up with myself with one fb account. I do NOT need two...

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Yeah, but Janet? If you're friends with yourself, then all your posts show up on the other page. It's U-G-L-Y.

I had a conversation with H on it, thought we were messaging, till my MOTHER asked why it was on her page, and too much information...

UGH.

I'm very, VERY careful.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
I can see some folks having two FB pages. One for very personal people and one for everyone. Like professionals.

I remember an artist friend decided to have a page for friends/family and another page for professional contacts--and the first thing she discovered was that all the "professional contacts" were immediately privy to everything she posted on BOTH pages. So it really doesn't make a lot of sense...

DammitJanet

Oh I dont mean be friends with each other! I just mean have two FB pages. Like I am pretty darned sure Nancy Grace doesnt use her public FB page as her private one.