Another trip to the emergency room ~ difficult child overdosed

Kathy813

Staff member
I don't even know where to start. I received a call at school from husband that he had gotten home from school to find difficult child unresponsive on the couch. Luckily, it was the day that our housekeeper was there and she heard the commotion and ran downstairs to help. She called 911 and they told her to start compressions immediately. She and husband took turns giving the compressions until the EMT's got there.

The EMT's took over the compressions and administered Narcon. husband said it was amazing how fast difficult child came around. I told my best friend at school what happened and she went to tell the administration and I left. I live close to the school so I was home before the ambulance left.

difficult child asked me to ride with her to the hospital so I did. On the way, I asked why we were going to a different hospital than normal and the ambulance driver told me that they wanted to get her to the closest hospital in case the Narcon wore off and her heart stopped again. They also needed to check to see if any damage had been done to her heart.

Once there, she asked me to leave the room when she was telling the doctor what she had taken. When she was first coming around, husband heard her tell the EMT that she had taken two percosets on top of her xanax. I don't know if she was telling the truth to them but they told husband that could have caused a sudden drop in blood pressure which led to her heart stopping. They told husband that if he had come home a couple of minutes later or if they had not started the compressions immediately, she would have died.

I called her DBT therapist and psychiatrist from the hospital. The p-doctor called me back and told me to give her name and number to the ER doctor. I told the p-doctor that the last time I had talked to the therapist, she had mentioned involuntary commitment. I was left with the impression that was what the p-doctor was going to suggest.

The ER doctor came in and said that he thought she should spend the night so they could watch her. I mentioned again (I had already told the nurse) that her p-doctor wanted to talk to him. He said that he had gotten the message.

difficult child kept talking about having to be at work in the morning. They told her she could talk to the doctor "upstairs" about whether she had to spend the night. When we finally got a room and the nurse came in, she told difficult child that the doctor would not be back until tomorrow morning.

At that point, difficult child said she was leaving and the nurse said they couldn't keep her against her will. So she signed the papers and we came home.

She seems fine but I know this will happen again. Today it was a fight with Peter Pan that triggered it. She cannot handle anything that rocks her boat. I think it is time for a residential long term inpatient hospital but she is saying she won't go. It also means we will have to use a large portion of our retirement money.

What else can we do?

~Kathy

T

toughlovin

Oh Gosh Kathy I wish I had good answers for you....I dont now right now as I was thinking along similar lines this afternoon. I am so glad your husband came home when he did.... really no parent should have to go through what we go through. I was thinking today what would our lives have been like if our difficult child was a kid like my easy child..... it would have been so much different and so much easier. I know I shouldnt even think like that....

Anyway many hugs and lots of commisseration from me tonight.

TL

Calamity Jane

Kathy,
How terrifying for husband and you to come home to this. It's just unimagnineable. It reminds me of what happened to Whitney Huston.
Kathy, if she doesn't want to go for any other treatment, what can you do? I don't know if the p-doctor can convince her...Please get some rest and try to sort it out tomorrow.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh Kathy, I am so sorry, you and your husband must be completely exhausted from the fear and stress. Try to get some rest now and look at it all again tomorrow when you've gotten some sleep. I am saying prayers for your family to unite, to connect in love and be guided to the best solution for everyone...............sending you gentle, heartfelt hugs for your mother's heart to find peace........

Nancy

I'm so sorry Kathy. Just goes to prove we never know when their drama threats will turn to reality. Thank goodness husband got home when he did. But what faulty thinking, one minute she wants to die and the next minute she won't stay in the hospital because she has to go to work tomorrow. If her Dad hadn't gotten home when he did she wouldn't be going to work anymore. So I'm wondering if she really wanted to die or she wanted the pain to stop and didn't realize what would happen.

I've said it before but I'll repeat, I don't know how you go to school every day and do all you do with the chaos around you and the constant worry. Can you get SSI for her to help pay for her treatment? Do you think it's worth talking to her psychiatrist about?

Nancy

Tiredof33

Kathy,
I am so glad husband came home when he did. I feel your pain, as we all do. My difficult child posting suicidal thoughts on FB is triggered by girlfriend problems too. I wish they could find a long lasting supportive partner to love, but mine attracts difficult children just like him and the last one was worse.

Sadly, we can not make them go for threatment.
(((prayers for us all)))

Kathy813

Staff member
So I'm wondering if she really wanted to die or she wanted the pain to stop and didn't realize what would happen.

I don't think it was a suicide attempt. I think she wanted to numb the pain.

If her Dad hadn't gotten home when he did she wouldn't be going to work anymore.

Her answer to that was "but I would be dead so I wouldn't know it."

The strange part is the our housekeeper said that difficult child had been sitting at the kitchen table talking coherently to her just a couple of minutes before husband came home and found her on unresponsive on the couch. I don't understand how it could hit her that fast. I guess the emt was right about her blood pressure plummeting due to the combination of drugs. I think she laid down when she started to feel bad. She had also taken her Celexa and Lamictal this morning.

She actually said to us in the car on the way home, "I guess prescription pills really can kill you." Duh. She also said she didn't see any white light so that confirmed her theory that there is no afterlife.

Last edited:

Nancy

Her answer to that was "but I would be dead so I wouldn't know it

That's exactly what my difficult child would say.

She also said she didn't see any white light so that confirmed her theory that there is no afterlife.

They sure can rationalize everything.

The police told me one time that certain drugs can make your blood pressure drop very quickly and cause you to stop breathing before you knew what was wrong. That was when difficult child had snorted adderall and was also taking lamictal.

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
Sad but kind of funny . . . I texted easy child about what had happened while she was still at school. Her school gets out later than mine. She called me and said she was on the way to the hospital which is close to where she lives. She was supposed to coach a softball game but told them she had a family emergency.

difficult child kept complaining that she was hungry so the nurse brought her a sandwich which difficult child looked at and asked if her family could get her some Zaxby's instead. The nurse checked with the doctor who said okay. husband and easy child went out to get Zaxby's for all of us.

When they got back and we were all sitting around eating, difficult child said, "This is the first time in a long time we have all gotten together for dinner."

:hammer:

A

AmericanGirl

Kathy, I'm amazed you are able to type after the day you have had. I know you will make the right decisions. Just praying she will comply and improve.

Hope you can get some rest tonight!

Kathy: I am so sorry for the terrifying episode with your difficult child today. I hope you are able to rest tonight. I am sending prayers and caring thoughts for you and your family. (((HUGS)))...

S

Signorina

Oh no. I can't imagine how tumultuous this is. And I know how nice it would be to go along with your difficult child and pretend that nothing unusual happened tonight and hope for the best.

Follow your conscience and do what you need to do. Please exhaust all possibilities before you exhaust your retirement funds only because your own peace of mind and easy child's peace of mind may depend on them someday. (No judgment here though, we all do what we have to do and I'd do the same in your shoes.) Hopefully, her dbt therapist can talk some sense into her and she'll be in a safe place soon.

Her guardian angel was in the house tonight. I know the trauma of "almost, could have" may settle in your mind in the days ahead, please don't let it get the best of you. We're here, we care

{{{lots of hugs }}}

Last edited by a moderator:

DammitJanet

Kathy, dont believe it was only 2 perc's and a xanax. It had to be at least a little more than that. I walk, talk and practically do everything on more than that and have years with no ill effects. And yes I do take the lamictal too.

There has to be a way around using your retirement for her treatment. I would be writing to both Dr Phil and Dr Drew daily. Write to some of the celebrities that claim to have beat substance abuse and ask for them to help pay it forward. I would skip Lindsey Lohan...lol. Right to the producers of Intervention and ask how to be on that show. I would be doing anything I could to find a way to get this paid for by someone. I realize you have called social services before but call them again and ask if anything has changed. Some of the programs have changed I have found out. Maybe they now have a program for substance abuse.

Kathy813

Staff member
I woke up worrying that we had not checked her purse for more percosets and ran into check her and she was her normal grumpy morning self. She plans to go to work today.

I have written an email to the head of NAMI in the county we live in asking if he knows of any programs or assistance for people like my difficult child. I met him at a NAMI family meeting that I went to a couple of months ago. I figured he would be a good resource.

I also remembered that the policeman that came last time said we could go to court and have her declared a danger to herself and ask to have her involuntarily committed. Of course, I think the courts are closed for the weekend and I also think it had to be a suicide attempt. difficult child is saying this was an accidental overdose.

Thanks for all of your replies and concern.

~Kathy