Another trip to urgent care for me

pasajes4

DIET is a dirty word. Your body goes into survival mode and fights against the very thing you are trying to do. Give up 1 unhealthy food for two weeks then add another 1. You will not lose weight rapidly, but you won't throw your body into shock.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
CB, just a thought.......my husband had some health issues and in my research I watched a documentary called Forks over Knives, based on a whole foods/plant based diet. It is worth watching.

We made the choice to move to a vegan lifestyle, with no sugar, gluten or dairy. I'm not advocating this for everyone, I'm just throwing this into the mix. I lost weight immediately, and began feeling terrific. If you go on the website, Forks over knives, you can read all kinds of success stories about health. I know it's a dramatic choice, but I will never go back now, I feel better than I have since I was in my 20s'. And your body changes too, not just weight loss, any excess around your middle begins to evaporate. My thinking is so clear, I have more vitality and energy, I sleep better, I'm NEVER hungry the way I used to be, I worry WAY less, my skin looks younger and better and I've lost all the weight I wanted to. My husband, who was reluctant to make this change says he would never go back either, he is thrilled with all the positive changes.

Scent of Cedar *

Do you know, California, whether you may be entering menopause?

I developed allergic asthma during menopause. To this day, I cannot eat most of the foods I'd loved all my life. Anxiety, bloating, really amazing fluid retention, inability to concentrate, word searching ~ all those things began happening. Vitamin B was helpful to me, and evening primrose oil. I no longer eat gluten or chocolate or bananas (of all things) or peanut butter. I cannot do dairy.

Or blueberries.

Or avocado.

Or oatmeal or beans or rice or peas.

No beef. No seafood.

I would experience symptoms similar to yours before I knew to connect what I was eating to what was happening. My blood pressure had always been remarkably low. During that time, it began to elevate. Now, I am back to normal. Partly, I think, because I have calmed down hormonally but mostly because I have learned what I can and cannot eat.

I can do salads and apples (except for "Delicious" apples ~ isn't that strange) and chicken and pork and eggs. No soy. No MSG. No corn and no corn syrup or any of those things.

I can eat salmon, and fresh or frozen tuna.

It took a long time for me to connect all the disparate pieces, but I wonder whether something like this could be what is happening now for you?

Are you familiar with the Paleo Diet? Basically, that is how I eat. Whenever I slip, I suffer in those same ways. I need to use an inhaler when I've eaten something I shouldn't. The reactions can take place as far as three days out ~ sometimes more ~ from the
allergen exposure.

Wine. I can't do wine, anymore. Or raisins or any dried fruit. Or cheese. I do eat cottage cheese sometimes, and yogurt. If I have too much of these foods, I have leg cramps at night. And I know those two things are not supposed to go together, but for me, they do.

It was scary and frustrating as I went through it. With so many allergies coming on all at once, there were times when I didn't believe myself that these things were happening because of what I was eating. Now, I do know this is so. That makes it easier for me. Many times, there is a physical cause, even for anxiety. For me, sugar and anxiety go hand in hand.

But I didn't know that at first.

I am sorry this is happening.

Cedar

Lil

Wow Cedar, that shocks me! I know people can become allergic to things as they get older, but I've never heard of that many! My mother had all kinds of food allergies - I like to say that I do too; it all makes me "swell up". LOL The only thing menopause has done to me is make me crabby and hot.

InsaneCdn

My mother had all kinds of food allergies - I like to say that I do too; it all makes me "swell up". LOL
@Lil you DO have an "allergy" of sorts... as in, your metabolic rate changes with menopause, which changes how foods "affect" you. Yes it means changing what and how and when you eat...

Lil

@Lil you DO have an "allergy" of sorts... as in, your metabolic rate changes with menopause, which changes how foods "affect" you. Yes it means changing what and how and when you eat...

Oh believe me...food has ALWAYS had that effect on me. LOL

I'm seeing a dietician...who is probably tired of me not caring enough to do what I'm supposed to.

I really like food.

Nomad

Staff member
I'm also 5'2". My doctor from an Ivey League university suggested I go on a super healthy diet of 900 calories and when I do this, I lose weight nicely.
I avoid flour and sugar. Eat tons of veggies.
Drink lots of water mostly between meals.
I rarely watch Dr. Oz anymore but the TV was on and he had some doctor on advocating just about the same thing. I almost flipped.
My doctor said it was because I had too much going against me....short, low thyroid, on medication.
If you eat very healthy, one can do this...but, yes, it's a little hard.
The first week is the hardest, then it's not that bad.
The doctor on dr oz says that the school of thought that we have trouble when we eat calories very low calorie and then rebound etc. is not as much of an issue as once thought.
I love Weight Watchers, but wish they would encourage less eating of sugar. Their encouragement of tracking and group support is wonderful!
I try to save sugar (a sweet dessert) for special occasions and/or one small portion a week.
Tracking for me is everything.
Health problems makes it very tough for me to exercise. Can only do light exercise.
When I don't feel well, I don't do the diet, but try to "sort of" do it and might only increase my calorie intake to 1400-1500 calories and then when I'm more in the mood or feel better, go back to the 900 and I start losing again.
in my humble opinion, if you are willing to eat in a very healthy manner, this diet will absolutely work. If you can't eat in a very healthy manner, perhaps not the best idea. It does work for me. I like that it works quickly and I feel good on it.
I'm sorry, but I can't recall the name of the doctor on Dr. Oz, advocating a similar diet. did anyone see him? He says he cured his type two diabetes eating this way.
Hang in there!

Nomad

Staff member
I also watched Forks Over Knives. (Excellent!) I did not chose to go Vegan. However, I did chose to reduce my meat intake and greatly increase my vegetable intake. I did not realize I usually ate meat three times a day. In retrospect, this seems nuts. After closely observing my energy levels and weight loss patterns, I feel I need a relatively high protein intake. So, I do eat animal protein, but am more aware. I do not eat nearly as much of it as previously. I certainly don't eat animal protein with every meal and have some days where I eat none. I eat more nuts and beans now. I drink a green veggie smoothie six or seven days a week. I believe these changes (along with reducing calorie intake) have helped me lose weight. Eating so many veggies makes that a bit easier. I do believe these changes have helped me feel better. Certainly lowers blood pressure!

Copabanana

The doctor on dr oz says that the school of thought that we have trouble when we eat calories very low calorie and then rebound etc. is not as much of an issue as once thought.
I was despairing.

Have lost 17 pounds in 2 years trying (with a nutritionist, most of that time) and we were ascribing my current inability to move even a quarter a pound in the past 8 months, to the fact that I did go on a 600 calorie diet when young and have fasted altogether, once for a couple of weeks. My body seems not to want to release the weight.

I am taller (5'6'). I have renewed hope after reading your post. I will try to maintain 1000 calories daily and see where I am

Nomad. Did they say why they no longer believe that very low calorie dieting is not the same problem that they long thought?

PS I too feel better and am amazed how full I feel eating lots of vegetables and actually crave them for breakfast even. I eat salads.

I will take your advice, too, and begin (again) to record everything I eat.

Thank you.

Last edited:

Lil

My sister-in-law has lost a great deal of weight. I asked her about it this past weekend when I saw her. She's on an interesting diet, I've never really heard of before. She says she alternates eating 500 calories one day with 2200 calories the next. I suppose it makes sense, in that she would average 1350 per day, which is a reasonable amount...even low. At least I lose weight at 1500.

I've always heard the problem with low-calorie diets is that your body decides it's starving and holds on to weight. So the alternating high and low calorie days would shake up the system and stop that from happening. Not sure where she got the idea...but it definitely works for her.

Californiablonde

I was despairing.

Have lost 17 pounds in 2 years trying (with a nutritionist, most of that time) and we were ascribing my current inability to move even a quarter a pound in the past 8 months, to the fact that I did go on a 600 calorie diet when young and have fasted altogether, once for a couple of weeks. My body seems not to want to release the weight.

I am taller (5'6'). I have renewed hope after reading your post. I will try to maintain 1000 calories daily and see where I am

Nomad. Did they say why they no longer believe that very low calorie dieting is not the same problem that they long thought?

PS I too feel better and am amazed how full I feel eating lots of vegetables and actually crave them for breakfast even. I eat salads. I want salad now for even for breakfast.

I will take your advice, too, and begin (again) to record everything I eat.

Thank you.
Copa you bring up a good point. In my late teens/early twenties I was a combination of anorexic and bulimic. Basically I would starve myself to death and throw up what little amounts I did eat. I was 95 pounds and still wanted to lose more. I wonder if my previous starvation has anything to do with why I suddenly can't lose weight in my 40's. If so, darn me! I ruined it for myself. But I am still not giving up. I do lose weight with weight watchers, but just a little slower than I'd like.

Copabanana

I've always heard the problem with low-calorie diets is that your body decides it's starving and holds on to weight.
In an earlier post Nomad wrote that somebody said on Dr. Oz that this theory is no longer thought to be so operative.

I am curious why not.

There has to be a reason my body holds onto the weight.

Lil. What do you think really of your sister in law's diet? I have been told of another variation of that concept which is one day a week, binge and eat all you want, with the rest of the week at 600 calories a day.

There is a Diet Doctor in my area that has that concept (and prescribes diet pills to help out.)

I am uninterested in diet pills....

Lil

But I am still not giving up. I do lose weight with weight watchers, but just a little slower than I'd like.

Slow is good CB. WW recommends 1 to 2 lbs a week. Think of it this way - that's a minimum of 52 lbs a year! That's a good loss. If you lose slow, you are doing it because you are eating properly for the weight you should be - and if you continue that you can keep it off.

(So speaks the woman who didn't continue and didn't keep it off - but darnit, I could have!)

Lil. What do you think really of your sister in law's diet? I have been told of another variation of that concept which is one day a week, binge and eat all you want, with the rest of the week at 600 calories a day.

Personally, I think high and low calorie days are good for you...but not necessarily as regularly as this. But I frankly would have a great deal of trouble staying that low on any day. I think 600 calories six days and then eat all you want, is likely awful for you...probably worse than 500 one day 2200 the next - at least hers has limits on the "high" day. With 600 six days and sky's the limit on one, you aren't learning how to eat properly, you're just starving then binging.

WW used to have something (it may have been an offshoot) called the Wendie plan. Basically, you would have days you ate the minimum of your points and days you ate the maximum. The flexibility worked for me. But the point is, you were always within acceptable amounts, so you were paying attention to your meals.

The 500/2200 would at least keep you paying attention on the high calorie days.

Nomad

Staff member
I'm sorry I did not catch everything this doctor said...just heard bits and pieces. I did recall he offered a few different variations of diets and one was low calorie. I think since I'm short, 900 calories might not actually be all that extreme when one factors in my height. My doctor who recommended it for me stressed that I would have to eat only healthy foods, but I still sneak in a little treat now and then. I think we all have to pay close attention to our bodies, because sometimes we can tell what works better for us as individuals than the nutritionists.m maybe a subtle change makes a nice difference. I went to a dietician once and she put me on a near vegan diet and I gained three pounds the first week. I told her my body seemed to do better with relatively high protein. I'm trying to pay close attention. I've lowered my animal protein, but feel for me personally, I need some. Obviously, flour and sugar are horrible. It's such a struggle for all of us I think.
PS our cousin, who is close to 70, is going to a nutrionist. Omg. She (The nutritionist) suggested a slice or two of whole grain bread a day. The rest seems fine in my book. Anyway, it's been weeks and she hasn't lost an ounce. Her daughter who is close to forty and slender told her to greatly reduce the bread. Maybe 1/2 piece a day. She (cousin) is afraid to do it because of what the nutritionist said. I think she should try it because she needs to do something different. As they say in WW "if you always do what you've always did, you'll always get what you always got!"

Last edited:

Nomad

Staff member
I think I found it.
A quick perusal shows perhaps something along the lines of what Lil said regarding low cal one day and more normal eating another.
Author: Dr. David Mosely
"The Fast Diet"
"The 8 Week Diet"

Lil

Omg. She (The nutritionist) suggested a slice or two of whole grain bread a day. The rest seems fine in my book. Anyway, it's been weeks and she hasn't lost an ounce. Her daughter who is close to forty and slender told her to greatly reduce the bread. Maybe 1/2 piece a day. She (cousin) is afraid to do it because of what the nutritionist said. I think she should try it because she needs to do something different. As they say in WW "if you always do what you've always did, you'll always get what you always got!"

You know, many years ago - pre-Jabber, so ... 19 or 20 years ago ... My M.D. had me on a diet plan that was no more the 1600 calories, no more than 40 grams of fat, per day. And he told me to TRIPLE my carb intake!!! Everyone else was going crazy for Atkins - he had me eating bread - white bread if I wanted - with every darn meal. If I was near the end of the day and had calories but no fat to speak of left, I'd have toast and jam, that sort of thing.

In a short space of time, I lost 40 lbs! I kept it off for about a year too, before I went back to my normal, high fat, way of eating.

Go figure.

The fact is, there are a thousand ways to lose weight - and I've done it on many, many of them. But if you are like me, and stick to none of them, you gain it back.:hamwheelsmilf:

Copabanana

Author: Dr. David Mosely
You guys. I just started a thread called Alternate Day Fasting, I think I called it, on Watercooler.

Prompted by your posts, Lil, CB and Nomad, I decided to look up Dr. Mosely and WOW. I have been reading for the last 8 hours. Mostly Dr. Jason Fung.

It is fascinating. Thank you.

BusynMember

Honestly, we are leaving out that if you use less calories than your body needs you will lose weight. I try very hard to keep my body weight at a healthy level. Any time I stop exercising pretty much five days a week, the weight climbs back on. Even WW is going to lean on members to be active and work out. I was in WW last year. It is about portion. Size and exercise, which is also very good for stress, blood pressure, overall health. That can't be ignored when trying to diet OR be less stressed out. Exercise has been proven to reduce stress and lift your mood. Some people use it in place of medication. I still need medication too, but it helps.

The problem with any fad diet, and I personally don't consider WW one, but there are many...as soon as you lose weight and go back to normal eating, the weight comes right back. It's not realistically sustainable to, say, diet by fasting or cutting out almost all carbs and doing that for the long term. And the gain and lose game gets so tiring.

Goog luck to all trying to lose weight!

Last edited: