Another wake up call

Californiablonde

So far day 9 on the diet and exercise plan and I've lost 2.8 pounds. I know most of you will say it's just water weight and doesn't really count, but it's progress to me. More importantly, they were serving free coffee cake from the cafeteria at work today. I had already eaten my breakfast, so I did not have the coffee cake! A couple of weeks ago I would have eaten a huge slice, even if I had already had breakfast. It was hard to pass up this morning. The coffee cake here is delicious! And I had to sit at my desk and watch all my coworkers eating it, but I didn't touch it, although I really really wanted it. I'd say that's a little progress!

Californiablonde

Yesterday morning I found out I gained back a quarter of a pound. I still haven't lost it. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I am counting all my calories and Weight Watchers points, and exercising. I am not having a lot of sodium in my diet. This is day 12 on the diet and so far I've only lost two and a half pounds. I thought the heavier you were the more weight you lose in the beginning? So why am I starting off so slow? My metabolism must be terrible!

InsaneCdn

CB - this is just my opinion and experience but... it's not ALL about calories in and calories out. For some of us, there are some foods that really mess up our digestive tract. If you happen to be like us, you may not even have major symptoms. It may not even be severe enough to be picked up by doctors. But... you could try this. It could possibly help your daughter as well. And it wouldn't harm your son.

Try going gluten-free for at least 6 months.

It's a major shift in eating patterns, shopping habits, cooking skills... if you want to try it, I can PM you details.

Nomad

Staff member
I worked for a weight loss company for awhile. I clearly noticed that women over a certain age...let's say late 30's -early 40s (very generally speaking) began to have clear issues with carbs.

The younger women (generally speaking) was more about portion control only. A little older and in my humble opinion it is portion control + reduced carbs + better quality foods + lots of water.

This was the ideal woman who lost steadily: recorded her weight, ate moderate to low carb, avoided sugar and junk food, drank lots of water, moved their body/or exercised in some way regularly (didn't have to be vigorously), limited packaged foods and ate more natural foods when possible, if messed up was very quick to get back on her routine, weighed regularly.

I keep lots of things I like that are healthy in the house like low salt almonds, one or two yogurts (not a lot because they tend to have too much sugar), popcorn and occasionally a low sugar protein bar. I always keep one Amy's TV dinner in the freezer for emergencies...so if I'm crazy hungry, I don't binge.

You might have to VERY SLIGHTLY reduce your WW points and also tweak it to include some of the things I mentioned to have a quicker weight loss. Make sure you are taking at least a multi vitamin. However, 2.5 in twelve days is very good!

Don't give up!

PS I totally agree about stopping soda, even diet soda. After I stopped it, I lost weight a little faster. I try to just have water and coffee. If I'm craving something like that, I have iced tea with one Truvia. They have determined that soda, even diet, makes you crave more sweet foods, contributes to osteoporosis and pancreatic cancer...even possibly heart troubles. So not worth it in my book.

Last edited: