Antidepressants

P

PatriotsGirl

I used to take Prozac and my goodness, the difference was beautiful!!!! However, I gained weight and I had sexual side effects that made me stop taking them. You see, I have MAJOR health anxiety. I have had cancer twice - both caught before it spread. Had surgery to remove, but did not need chemo or radiation for either. Both related to smoking. I stopped smoking and it has not returned....yet.

My awful brain feels like I am caught in a Final Destination movie with death being cancer. Every ache, every pain, I instantly believe it has come back and this time it will kill me. I am at the doctor's every couple of months over a new obssession that I feel is THE ONE. Each time I get checked out and I am perfectly fine. I think I have some ovarian cysts right now that really hurt and I am now convinced I have ovarian cancer. I constantly have to tell myself that I have experienced this same exact pain before, but it doesn't help. I am jumping out of skin until I can get in to my doctor. (Who has also recommended I get back on my prozac).

So, I have determined that the side eeffects of the medications are better than living my life in constant fear of when I am going to die. This is just not a fun way to live and I am really scared that when my time is truly up, I wil realize that I had spent all that time worrying about when it would happen. And it certainly seems to be getting worse lately and I don't know why...age, maybe? :(

Anyone else have the same issues?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I have had them in the past, with good reason, yes. And yours are, to some extent, for good reason. You're just stuck in overdrive so to speak.

I don't like prozac. I don't like the side effects, oh heck, I just personally don't like the darn medication period. I'll be honest. I haven't and won't take it, but family has.

I'd opt (and did) for a normal anti-anxiety medication instead. It worked far better in my opinion.

It might be getting worse due to lots of things, premenopause (hormones can make it worse), stress are just two. If stressed enough, my anxiety which is normally very controlled and doesn't bother me, goes full tilt off the charts to the point where I'm literally jumpy.

P

PatriotsGirl

I have had them in the past, with good reason, yes. And yours are, to some extent, for good reason. You're just stuck in overdrive so to speak.

I don't like prozac. I don't like the side effects, oh heck, I just personally don't like the darn medication period. I'll be honest. I haven't and won't take it, but family has.

I'd opt (and did) for a normal anti-anxiety medication instead. It worked far better in my opinion.

It might be getting worse due to lots of things, premenopause (hormones can make it worse), stress are just two. If stressed enough, my anxiety which is normally very controlled and doesn't bother me, goes full tilt off the charts to the point where I'm literally jumpy.

By normal anti-anxiety medication, do you mean Xanax or Klonopin? I have both and they are just not helping anymore... :( and I certainly cannot take those every day. Perimenapause sounds plausible - my PMS and ovulation pains have certainly gotten worse the older I get!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Prozac was a nightmare for husband.

Zoloft had no effect on me.

Lexapro was a miracle drug - but I didn't need it for long (though if I ever do go back on an AD, I'm starting there!)

husband's doctor had him on an antihistamine-type thing for anxiety. It worked... Bonus, he rarely had sinus issues...

P

PatriotsGirl

Prozac was a nightmare for husband. I was blissfully happy and didn't even care much about the weight loss. It was the sexual side effect I hated.

Zoloft had no effect on me. This made me the biggest B to walk the earth

Lexapro was a miracle drug - but I didn't need it for long (though if I ever do go back on an AD, I'm starting there!) This one gave me the same sexual side effects as Prozac. :(

husband's doctor had him on an antihistamine-type thing for anxiety. It worked... Bonus, he rarely had sinus issues...
This has me fascinated!!!! Could you ask him what it was??

Thanks!! :)

BusynMember

I have to take medications to function, but the only antidepressant to work for me has been Paroxatene. I've been on it for over twenty years and will take it until I die. It hasn't affected my health at all, except in a good way (I'm upbeat instead of depressed). It did make me gain weight, but I dieted most of it off and just have to watch it. I'll never be skinny again, but it hoovers to be skinny if you can barely leave the house and are panicking 24/7. That's no way to live. Every year I have a physical, and I'm almost 59 (two more weeks) and so far everything is always normal. No high blood pressure. No diabetes. Nothing that taking medications caused.

When I was younger I was a total hypochondriac. This was while I was in my 20's and 30's. I was constantly sure I was dying. I called the paramedics so much that they knew me and didn't take me seriously. Anti-anxiety medication did not help that at all. The paroxatene all but took the hypochondriac me and got rid of her. I don't really think much about my health at all. The paroxatene helps me with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) thoughts, which used to trigger my hypochonria.

Hope this helped :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
This has me fascinated!!!! Could you ask him what it was??

Wellbutrin did for me what Zoloft did for you... Hmm.

I did ask him, he doesn't remember - however a half-dose of Benadryl, which is what I use for my allergies, has a similar effect on him! (Probably because a full dose knocks him out... Doesn't me.)

P

PatriotsGirl

I have to take medications to function, but the only antidepressant to work for me has been Paroxatene. I've been on it for over twenty years and will take it until I die. It hasn't affected my health at all, except in a good way (I'm upbeat instead of depressed). It did make me gain weight, but I dieted most of it off and just have to watch it. I'll never be skinny again, but it hoovers to be skinny if you can barely leave the house and are panicking 24/7. That's no way to live. Every year I have a physical, and I'm almost 59 (two more weeks) and so far everything is always normal. No high blood pressure. No diabetes. Nothing that taking medications caused.

When I was younger I was a total hypochondriac. This was while I was in my 20's and 30's. I was constantly sure I was dying. I called the paramedics so much that they knew me and didn't take me seriously. Anti-anxiety medication did not help that at all. The paroxatene all but took the hypochondriac me and got rid of her. I don't really think much about my health at all. The paroxatene helps me with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) thoughts, which used to trigger my hypochonria.

Hope this helped :)

I have never heard of that one!!! I am SO going to have to ask to try it. I know medications have different effects on everyone. I think we need to find what works and stick with it. I am going to give this one a shot. My doctor was really recommending I take something, but I refused because of the sexual side effects. He will be thrilled to hear I want to try something.

P

PatriotsGirl

Wellbutrin did for me what Zoloft did for you... Hmm.

Wellbutrin was the one that turned me into a B - that is right! It helped me quit smoking but made me a huge B.

Zoloft was okay, I think....hmmm, maybe I will have to try that one again....

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Welbutrin makes me want to kill people, literally.

Trazadone and seroquil (sp, can't spell today) did ok, I suppose, but klonopin helped me regain control. The first two helped me maintain until I had it completely under control again. Also helped me sleep. LOL

But I don't stay on medications long. I only use them as necessary.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Prozac - side effects, ended up in the hospital - nearly died from it. NOT worth it to me.

Zoloft - made me have suicidal idealizations. Oddly enough 2x Dude was on it? He did attempt suicide - by hanging - same thing I idealized over and he never knew. They say what works for one parent may work for kid.

Lexapro - (ahhhhhhhhhhhh) love it - can't afford it - felt like a bazillion dollars on it. No real side effects.

Welbutrin - Four years and counting. Helps me with weight loss, repetitive thoughts. and so far no side effects.

Klonopin? I have some, and I'm to take teeny tiny bites out of one pill for anxiety. First day I got the script? WHAT DOES THAT DOCTOR KNOW - one teeny tiny bite....fooey! Yeah well ask DF sometimes about me skipping trah lah lah through the car dealer and laughing hysterically about the fairies and junk on the side of the road. He took me home (after he caught me at the dealership) and put me in bed and threw the pills in the garbage. I woke up, fished them out and hid them. NOW if I get anxiety on top of depression my doctor has recommended ONE Benadryl caplet. This is probably why Steps husband finds relief with the histamine blocker /nose spray anti anxiety - anti depressant. (guessing)

And no - the side effects do NOT outweigh the benefits - being over weight can cause you to have MORE problems on top of problems you need to eat right, find a good exercise program, a greath therapist and a decent medication.....that you can live with ---not in spite of.

BusynMember

I have never heard of that one!!! I am SO going to have to ask to try it. I know medications have different effects on everyone. I think we need to find what works and stick with it. I am going to give this one a shot. My doctor was really recommending I take something, but I refused because of the sexual side effects. He will be thrilled to hear I want to try something.

Paroxatene is Paxil and not everyone can take it. I know a lot of people who didn't respond to it or had bad reactions. But when it does work, it seems to REALLY work well. This is the only antidepressant that works about 90% for me and has made me somewhat....normal. LOL :)

B

bigbear11

The Paroxatine mentioned in a earlier post is Paxil... been generic for years. It is supposed to really be good for anxiety. You might want to check on the SNRIs (serotonin and norepinephrine) such as Cymbalta and Effexor. They are still branded but both have less sexual side effects (typically) than the traditional SSRIs. Good luck finding something that works for you. Lexapro has been a godsend here. I needed it to keep myself under control when TRex lost hers... otherwise lets just say I was NOT a good example of self control. ;-)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
husband was on Paxil. It affected him the same way Zoloft affected me. As in, not at all.

But, when it works - !!!